Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 357840 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #345 on: March 14, 2020, 05:36:26 PM »

No, now is actually the perfect time to address it.

If you wanted to say right after this is over is the perfect time to address it, I wouldn't say that's unreasonable. But right now is the absolutely most freaking idiotic time to address wealth distribution inequality etc.

The goal for now should purely be how to keep people from dying, and get this excrement to blow over

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #346 on: March 14, 2020, 05:40:10 PM »
If you wanted to say right after this is over is the perfect time to address it, I wouldn't say that's unreasonable. But right now is the absolutely most freaking idiotic time to address wealth distribution inequality etc.

The goal for now should purely be how to keep people from dying, and get this excrement to blow over

I agree with you, but Badger has some good points around protecting people's living status.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #347 on: March 14, 2020, 05:42:05 PM »
I agree with you, but Badger has some good points around protecting people's living status.

Those aren't to "address inequality"

Those are to stop people from going to work sick exacerbating the situation.

Yes it benefits low income/poor people the most. But it's a very short term bandaid to maintain order and the public health during one of the biggest global crisis of the modern era
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 05:44:03 PM by dcm1602 »

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #348 on: March 14, 2020, 06:07:51 PM »

No, now is actually the perfect time to address it.

DON'T POLITICIZE TRAGEDY #thoughtsandprayers

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #349 on: March 14, 2020, 06:24:18 PM »
BREAKING: Teaneck, NJ mayor urges ALL residents to self-quarantine as town deals with #coronavirus cluster - WINS

My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #350 on: March 14, 2020, 06:27:17 PM »
The impression I've gotten. Is more people are going to die from the strain on healthcare resources than the actual disease. If the reports from China (that I don't believe) about it destroying your lungs long term are true that's one thing.

But even if this was purely just a more contagious version of the flu and nothing more, healthcare facilities just aren't equip to handle it.

People I know at major hospitals all across the country are already out of essential Healthcare supplies, and this excrement hasn't even freaking started yet.

Nobody knows the long term effects of this yet so people calling this “just the flu” are complete freaking morons

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #351 on: March 14, 2020, 06:43:37 PM »
Nobody knows the long term effects of this yet so people calling this “just the flu” are complete freaking morons
This.

I risked it by going to a concert the last 3 days. I washed my hands and sanitized as much as possible, but it's certainly possible I picked it up.

Part of my thinking was that I would probably be holed up at home after this anyway. Work is letting us work from home. After observing other people this week in Las Vegas, I definitely don't trust other people to be smart about this (though a lot of people were trying to be smart).

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #352 on: March 14, 2020, 06:51:56 PM »

Way, way more dangerous and deadly illnesses have swept the US and the world before and you never gave a excrement. Now you're panicking about this one? Why?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #353 on: March 14, 2020, 07:31:53 PM »
I’m not a big fan of the world shutting down to control the spread of a flu

influenza, 'the flu' is a virus that can potentially cause a LRTI

coronavirus is a virus that can potentially cause a LRTI

coronavirus is not 'a flu'

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #354 on: March 14, 2020, 07:35:51 PM »
you guys are getting way too hung up on the number of deaths. it's not the singular endpoint that should be taken into account with regards to prep or response

if the symptoms, complications, severity, and morbidity of the coronavirus is enough that it can cause entire healthcare systems to crash, maxing out ICUs and taxing medical personnel and supplies to oblivion, then it is something that has to be taken extremely seriously, and all precautions necessary should be taken to prevent it from getting to that level.

you guys are getting way too hung up on 'but how many people have died?'/'more people die from the flu and we don't freak out!'

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #355 on: March 14, 2020, 07:37:32 PM »
Can we all just agree that Puck should be quarantined from the tailgate?

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #356 on: March 14, 2020, 07:44:49 PM »
a lot is being brought up about the lack of testing and it sucks that we don't have access to quicker methods of testing yet, but it's not going to have a big effect on the approach to treatment until a more convenient/faster test is available here

patients are going to be risk stratified based on symptoms/conditions into lower/higher risk groups and we'll run the usual sets of tests that we DO have available right now (such as rapid flus, respiratory virus panels that include testing for a large number of viruses, including coronavirus strains that are NOT covid), and if there's a positive, then there's a safe assumption that that person's symptoms are secondary to a virus that's not covid. the current sendout test for covid takes about 3 days to get back. if the prelim testing is negative, and the other symptoms and findings fit, especially if they have bilateral GGOs on chest imaging, then they'll be treated as a 'covid' patient, even if the actual diagnosis ins't 'confirmed' yet. this is how pennsylvania seems to be approaching it at the least, and i imagine most other centers will have some sort of set up that runs along those lines until more tests, faster tests are available

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #357 on: March 14, 2020, 08:47:46 PM »

France

More than half of the 300 people in intensive care units in France with the new virus are under 60.

The head of the national health agency, Jerome Salomon, announced the statistic Saturday night as France saw another jump in new virus cases.

France now has confirmed 4,500 cases since January. To stem the spread, the French prime minister ordered all restaurants, cinemas and nonessential stores closed starting Sunday, a dramatic move for a country whose economy depends heavily on its global reputation for cuisine, culture and fashion.

Italy, Spain, France.

This is a trend. It is not a good trend.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #358 on: March 14, 2020, 08:54:58 PM »
a lot is being brought up about the lack of testing and it sucks that we don't have access to quicker methods of testing yet, but it's not going to have a big effect on the approach to treatment until a more convenient/faster test is available here

patients are going to be risk stratified based on symptoms/conditions into lower/higher risk groups and we'll run the usual sets of tests that we DO have available right now (such as rapid flus, respiratory virus panels that include testing for a large number of viruses, including coronavirus strains that are NOT covid), and if there's a positive, then there's a safe assumption that that person's symptoms are secondary to a virus that's not covid. the current sendout test for covid takes about 3 days to get back. if the prelim testing is negative, and the other symptoms and findings fit, especially if they have bilateral GGOs on chest imaging, then they'll be treated as a 'covid' patient, even if the actual diagnosis ins't 'confirmed' yet. this is how pennsylvania seems to be approaching it at the least, and i imagine most other centers will have some sort of set up that runs along those lines until more tests, faster tests are available

This matches with what I’ve been hearding. 3 days for test results is unacceptable

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #359 on: March 14, 2020, 09:01:07 PM »
Way, way more dangerous and deadly illnesses have swept the US and the world before and you never gave a excrement. Now you're panicking about this one? Why?

My wife falls into 2 of the health high risk category factors and also has a history of respiratory illness

Tags: