Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 359658 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #315 on: March 14, 2020, 12:38:11 PM »
Except that if everyone observes this then a lot of businesses are going to cease operations very quickly. It is possible to exercise good hygiene practices and observe sensible caution while still living a (mostly) normal life, and it's kind of important that we do that.

If you want to hunker down in a fort made of toilet rolls with your shotgun and a lifetime supply of canned beans then no one's going to stop you, but for most of the rest of the world life needs to go on.

We’re talking about America here

My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #316 on: March 14, 2020, 12:58:52 PM »
I find it very amusing that at the grocery stores it's all the extremely unhealthy garbage sold out. All the white bread and whole milk completley gone everywhere. Tons of multigrain bread and fat free milk though.

Fat bastards don't even realize how much more likely they are to die of a heart attack or stroke than coronavirus
Speak for yourself. Whole milk gang nibbas bring the heat
Skim milk is even gayer than soy milk

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #317 on: March 14, 2020, 01:03:32 PM »
My job approved my telework request since my daughter's school is closed next week.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #319 on: March 14, 2020, 01:27:10 PM »
https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/drinking-bleach-will-not-prevent-coronavirus-virginia-poison-control-center-warns/

Well. Clearly it will, or at least render the virus of little consequence to the drinker, and make it highly unlikely that they would pass it on to anyone else.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #321 on: March 14, 2020, 04:07:54 PM »
Except that if everyone observes this then a lot of businesses are going to cease operations very quickly. It is possible to exercise good hygiene practices and observe sensible caution while still living a (mostly) normal life, and it's kind of important that we do that.

If you want to hunker down in a fort made of toilet rolls with your shotgun and a lifetime supply of canned beans then no one's going to stop you, but for most of the rest of the world life needs to go on.

To be fair if people don't observe this and excrement goes the Italy route then far more businesses will go order.

If 2 to 4 weeks of doom is going to put you under, odds are you were going under anyway

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #322 on: March 14, 2020, 04:18:50 PM »
To be fair if people don't observe this and excrement goes the Italy route then far more businesses will go order.

If 2 to 4 weeks of doom is going to put you under, odds are you were going under anyway

Again, there's no reason that going to bars and restaurants while exercising sensible precautions is going to cause the US to go the way of Italy. The Italians were caught completely flatfooted and have a very old population.

As to your second point, I'm not sure you realise what a hand to mouth existence (no pun intended) many service businesses like restaurants live. For many of them they're coming to the end of the slowest season and their resources are probably at their lowest - a month without custom can easily put them under and that's not because they're badly run.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #323 on: March 14, 2020, 04:19:50 PM »

You are vastly underestimating how many small business owners are two to four days of doom from going under. 

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #324 on: March 14, 2020, 04:37:05 PM »
You are vastly underestimating how many small business owners are two to four days of doom from going under. 

Not at all

I realize there's a ton of them

And odds are the majority were  going to go under anyway

Regardless staying open during the apocalypse I don't you'll get many people coming in to buy whatever it is you're selling. The innovators are innovating (ie door to door food delivery) and the rest will perish.

Their best bet is to hope some kind of government bailout saves them and that this whole thing comes to a swift conclusion.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #325 on: March 14, 2020, 04:45:41 PM »
Again, there's no reason that going to bars and restaurants while exercising sensible precautions is going to cause the US to go the way of Italy. The Italians were caught completely flatfooted and have a very old population.

As to your second point, I'm not sure you realise what a hand to mouth existence (no pun intended) many service businesses like restaurants live. For many of them they're coming to the end of the slowest season and their resources are probably at their lowest - a month without custom can easily put them under and that's not because they're badly run.

The disease is insanely contagious and the only places that have had legit outbreaks that were quashed basically declared a state of law. Considering how badly the US dropped the ball on testing preparedness and diagnosis nobody even has a realistic idea of how many people have the disease.

If the US had done excrement fairly competently maybe you'd have a point. But as is essentially nobody has been tested and it's a crap shot. A week ago I agreed with you 100% on this. Now I'm thinking that while the United States is playing catchup on what it should have done a month or two ago, they need to start coming up with a contingency plan if that fails. And to me that means at least coming up with a fleshed out plan of Marshall law to keep in their back pocket.

And just for perspective the surgeons general reccomended that all elective surgeries in the country be canceled. If it's too dangerous a climate to do heart surgery or whatever people need, then you think maybe it might be a little risky to have people bar crawling and what not?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 04:48:21 PM by dcm1602 »

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #326 on: March 14, 2020, 04:59:01 PM »
I’m not a big fan of the world shutting down to control the spread of a flu

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #327 on: March 14, 2020, 05:08:07 PM »
I’m not a big fan of the world shutting down to control the spread of a flu

It's a difficult balance, I think, between the fact that a massive and abrupt economic failure will kill far more people than the virus, and just going full Thanos with it. But in principle I agree with you.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #328 on: March 14, 2020, 05:08:28 PM »
Patronized two businesses during my lunch break today. I was the only person in either one besides staff.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #329 on: March 14, 2020, 05:09:00 PM »
It's a difficult balance, I think, between the fact that a massive and abrupt economic failure will kill far more people than the virus, and just going full Thanos with it. But in principle I agree with you.
I think we have the same stance. Take precautions yes, but to basically halt all industry is going to be ridiculous

Tags: