Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 358101 times)

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2020, 12:36:16 PM »
Italy is at 45%. USA is at 57%. It's definitely going to kill us all!

Oh, wait. China, where it all started and has the largest sample size, is at 5% with new cases almost non-existent (22 added yesterday compared to a total so far in excess of 80,000). What's more, as has been repeatedly told to anyone who isn't stuffing their ears with toilet roll and running around screaming, is that there are undoubtedly huge numbers of people who have it or had it and either didn't notice or were so mildly symptomatic that they never bothered reporting. Or do they not count towards mortality rates?

I have two concerns about expecting China's successful response with regards to these numbers. First, can every country, especially the U.S. expect to have a similar ability to set a mandatory quarantine? Im not so sure this is enforceable, and if it isn't then the same results should not be expected. Second, is this not going to resurface in China once the quarantine is lifted and normalcy begins to reappear?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »
I have two concerns about expecting China's successful response with regards to these numbers. First, can every country, especially the U.S. expect to have a similar ability to set a mandatory quarantine? Im not so sure this is enforceable, and if it isn't then the same results should not be expected. Second, is this not going to resurface in China once the quarantine is lifted and normalcy begins to reappear?

To your first point I think that it's not really comparable, because society operates so differently. We don't tend to have such close knit family units as you see in lots of Asian countries with lots of people under the same roof rapidly infecting each other, but our patterns of behaviour are different in ways that may encourage spread. I think a behavioural scientist would be able to better answer that, but we already live a pretty isolationist existence in many ways - we talk via email and phone rather than in person, we do our shopping online, we don't even get out of our cars to buy our coffee. I think that we can limit social contact pretty easily if we put our minds to it, and in many ways already have.

On the second point I honestly don't know. I haven't heard talk of it but I don't have a strong enough knowledge of the science to answer. I do however have a friend who's an immunologist with whom I'm chatting on an ongoing basis, so I'll ask the question and let you know what he says.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #287 on: March 13, 2020, 01:28:18 PM »
They finally announced that they'll be closing my kid's school next week. Public schools still open though.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #288 on: March 13, 2020, 01:46:16 PM »

Here's a transcript straight from the chat with my immunologist friend:

JE: assuming the quarantine works and they get that down to zero, what's to stop it popping up again once the quarantine is lifted?

D: Usually person to person spread is quite lmited
so if u have few cases u won't get many more
Coronavirus is actively under surveillance
so it's pretty effective if public healht can track it
cause u just ogtta break chains
thats why canadas approach has seemed relax
because they just breaking the chains of transmission
if they get uncontrolled chains
then you change the game plan

JE: which is what you were saying about community outbreaks?
versus imported cases?

D: Ye
So with imported cases + small trackable community outbreak
you basically try to separate them from everyone else
which is basically what we've done thus far
As of the last 48 hours, what the government is signalling is either SUPER proactive preventative measures or they really do think this is spreading in the community even if they don't have the evidence for it now
So we have 800? Public health agent/people in ontario
Their job will have to shift
we'll start caring less and less about contact tracing and finding out exactly who got it from who and isolating them
and try isolating as much of the population as possible
social distancing etc
because at that point you might as well use the 800 people or whatever ot do other more high-demand things
This is the stage the us is in
but they don't know it for sure yet
This is the stage that we are on the  brink of
thanks to our good old fuckfaced friends the us
(It's probably not fair to place that much blame on them but I 100% do and I've been saying this for weeks)
italy is in that stage too
but they know it
looks like good chunks of europe believe they are on the brink of it as well too

mechanistically, it's relatively easy because we know the target to attack. In practice, we'll see if it's actually a hittable target
the first like 5 years of drug development is that first part
the second 5 years is the second part
but we've already done the first five years
and like a bajillion labs are working on this

We havea new postdoc from NYC
he has a colleague who was chinese and they have chinese gradsstudent/technician friends
apparently theyve been working like 20 hours days nonstop since end of december
doing tests, helping with lab stuff, doing coronavirus research etc
like they are going to burn out like cray
and im not exaggerating the 20 hour days

So I'm not sure if that helps you at all, but it's interesting to hear from someone who knows what he's talking about rather than trying to extrapolate from the media.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #291 on: March 13, 2020, 04:50:23 PM »

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #292 on: March 13, 2020, 05:45:01 PM »
On a serious note are there any countries who actually have dealt well with it? I know some are sitting pretty and dumb luck is a huge factor simply because they don't have an outbreak. But it doesn't seem like as easily solvable as people think

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #293 on: March 13, 2020, 05:46:16 PM »
On a serious note are there any countries who actually have dealt well with it? I know some are sitting pretty and dumb luck is a huge factor simply because they don't have an outbreak. But it doesn't seem like as easily solvable as people think

Hi

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #294 on: March 13, 2020, 06:00:28 PM »

Chinese Taipei

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #295 on: March 13, 2020, 06:03:31 PM »
Hi

Did Canada react particularly well? Or do they just have a really good infrastructure in place for handling medical issues. And haven't had to deal with an outbreak?

I mean it's much easier to be successful combating something thats not particularly effecting you

(and I genuinely don't know anything about the situation in Canada that's why I'm asking and not assuming)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #296 on: March 13, 2020, 06:12:48 PM »
Did Canada react particularly well? Or do they just have a really good infrastructure in place for handling medical issues. And haven't had to deal with an outbreak?

I mean it's much easier to be successful combating something thats not particularly effecting you

(and I genuinely don't know anything about the situation in Canada that's why I'm asking and not assuming)
We got hit hard by SARS in 02/03. As a result, we have protocols in place and didn't freak around implementing them. We have a big Chinese population here, the news about Wuhan started to come out while I was on vacation in mid January and by the time I landed a few days later there were signs all over Immigration saying "Have you arrived from or been to Wuhan in the last four weeks? If so follow these signs." We've been on top of this excrement from the beginning.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #297 on: March 13, 2020, 07:08:08 PM »
Antarctica came out of this squeaky clean

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #298 on: March 13, 2020, 07:12:36 PM »

bojanglesman