Author Topic: Coronavirus SZN Forever  (Read 358566 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Coronavirus SZN Forever
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2020, 04:43:29 PM »
I mean I don't know where toilet paper is made. But if I was to wager a guess I would say most of it is made in China. I still don't see why there would be a shortage of it as it's probably stupid easy to produce. But at least makes some sense

In Canada it's made in Canada. Apparently in Australia it's made in Australia. I assume that in the US it's made in the US. It's just not a high enough value consumable to be economically feasible as a long distance import, would be my guess.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2020, 04:43:32 PM »
I don't know if that's supposed to be a reporter or just some random idiot.

But id wager that more people will die from the burden on healthcare resources (ie hysteria of everyone with the sniffles going to the hospital) than from the actual disease itself

Sit this one out
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2020, 04:48:38 PM »
I’m buying guns and ammo

That way if I need something else, I can shoot you and take what is now mine.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2020, 04:48:58 PM »
I don't know if that's supposed to be a reporter or just some random idiot.

But id wager that more people will die from the burden on healthcare resources (ie hysteria of everyone with the sniffles going to the hospital) than from the actual disease itself

Yes, exactly this. I have no idea how the US and its fucked up healthcare model will handle things. Thus far, knock on wood, Canada has implemented protocols created when we got hit hard by SARS and are handling things very well. We've got 80 cases total, every major city has separate testing and isolation facilities set up at least one main hospital. When I came back from vacation two months ago and the news from Wuhan was just breaking, there were already signs and testing processes in place at the airport for people coming in from high risk locations.

Italy was woefully unprepared and has an ageing population (third oldest in the world). Interestingly, Japan has an even older population and is handling it like a champ. I don't know what the difference is there.

This is a good resource for the latest data:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2020, 05:01:39 PM »
Yes, exactly this. I have no idea how the US and its fucked up healthcare model will handle things. Thus far, knock on wood, Canada has implemented protocols created when we got hit hard by SARS and are handling things very well. We've got 80 cases total, every major city has separate testing and isolation facilities set up at least one main hospital. When I came back from vacation two months ago and the news from Wuhan was just breaking, there were already signs and testing processes in place at the airport for people coming in from high risk locations.

Italy was woefully unprepared and has an ageing population (third oldest in the world). Interestingly, Japan has an even older population and is handling it like a champ. I don't know what the difference is there.

Mexico will pay for it.  All positives will be deported to Manitoba.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2020, 05:10:50 PM »
Mexico will pay for it.  All positives will be deported to Manitoba.

There's a not insignificant chance that hot weather slows or even prevents the spread of coronaviruses. There's a reason no one gets the flu in summer. Mexico has 7 reported cases, although I recognise that their reporting is probably not to the same level as other countries; look though at where the reported cases are in the US. They're in Washington and New York and northern California, they're not in Arizona or Florida despite those states skewing much older and therefore more likely to require hospitalisation.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2020, 05:21:17 PM »
I have a house upstate with 3 guns and plenty of acreage. If things go berserk I’ll setup shop there for a bit. Got fiber internet, really good WiFi, security cameras, plenty of booze and water, and can hunt for food if necessary.

See you all in hell losers

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2020, 05:24:57 PM »

I certainly don't think the US Healthcare model is special

But I don't think any model will be particularly advantaged at handling an overloaded system because of hysteria. It sounds like Canada has a good setup according to what you said, but I'd wager that's more because of being organized and sensible (and having such a small amount of people testing positive) rather than their actual system.

As long as everyone's crazy and thinks this is the apocalypse systems will be overloaded. I think public relations will do more to combat this than any medical interventions

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2020, 05:28:04 PM »
There's a not insignificant chance that hot weather slows or even prevents the spread of coronaviruses. There's a reason no one gets the flu in summer. Mexico has 7 reported cases, although I recognise that their reporting is probably not to the same level as other countries; look though at where the reported cases are in the US. They're in Washington and New York and northern California, they're not in Arizona or Florida despite those states skewing much older and therefore more likely to require hospitalisation.

Probably also helps that there's probably a lot less people around the world traveling to Mexico than their is to NY LA etc.

But no question climate probably plays a key role. And the fact that this pandemic is coming to fruition in March instead of say November, will probably save countless lives in the US

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2020, 05:33:06 PM »
I certainly don't think the US Healthcare model is special

But I don't think any model will be particularly advantaged at handling an overloaded system because of hysteria. It sounds like Canada has a good setup according to what you said, but I'd wager that's more because of being organized and sensible (and having such a small amount of people testing positive) rather than their actual system.

As long as everyone's crazy and thinks this is the apocalypse systems will be overloaded. I think public relations will do more to combat this than any medical interventions

Social healthcare systems are better equipped because they can funnel the populace as a group into a single process, but of course if the process isn't right or properly resourced then it also falls down. The UK has that problem currently as it wants people who think they might have symptoms to first call the NHS 111 hotline, which means of course every queynte with a weird pimple is calling up to see if it means they have coronavirus and as a result people are having to sit on hold for hours on end to get answered because British people are freaking idiots who love a good panic.

In Canada we seem to have a handle on it, we're doing a similar thing with pointing people initially to their provincial telehealth service - I imagine they're busy but I haven't heard of them being overwhelmed. If telehealth determines that you sound like you are a risk of positive (symptoms, high risk travel etc) then they're directing you to your local testing centre with a referral number - without a referral you don't get tested.

In the US I suspect the risk is that walk in centres and ERs will take the brunt of the uninsured, or worse, people who are actually infected but have no coverage will just soldier on and keep spreading it. We shall see.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2020, 05:48:14 PM »
In the US I suspect the risk is that walk in centres and ERs will take the brunt of the uninsured, or worse, people who are actually infected but have no coverage will just soldier on and keep spreading it. We shall see.
That's the problem. Unless you quarantine everybody, people will still be spreading the virus. You go to a restaurant, whoever handles your food can have it. You go to a bar, same thing. You go to the grocery store to prepare for the threat, and the person giving you bags can have it.

I'm going to a concert the next 3 days then I'm going to Vegas for March Madness. Am I worried? Hell yes. But the only way to 100% avoid it is to basically lock yourself in your house.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2020, 06:07:37 PM »

Bowing at a distance vs. slobbering on each cheek. 

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2020, 06:40:53 PM »
BREAKING: Massachusetts has just announced 51 *new* cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of presumptive cases to 92 -- a 124 percent increase from yesterday. Seventy of the cases are related to the Biogen conference in Boston. Six people are hospitalized. #WBZ

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2020, 06:42:51 PM »
Again, most (healthy, young) people will be fine. But those same people can pass this on to someone else that fucks them up.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2020, 06:51:05 PM »
Watch this. It's about math.

https://youtu.be/Kas0tIxDvrg

Tags: