Author Topic: PFF ranks the Jets OL 25th  (Read 4146 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
PFF ranks the Jets OL 25th
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:35:25 PM »
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/

25. New York Jets (3rd)
PB: 15th, RB: 30th, PEN: 25th

Stud: For a line with as much talent as they have, it’s really surprising that D’Brickashaw Ferguson (+0.1) would walk away with the highest grade. A bad year by his standards where he gave up eight sacks and was poor with his run blocking.

Dud: Whoever they put at left guard. Vlad Ducasse (-9.5) had a breakout game against the Patriots and then proceeded to stink the joint up, forcing rookie Brian Winters (-28.5) into action. It did not go well.

Analysis: The awe factor of watching Nick Mangold has gone. He finished the year strong but his streaky early season play was anything but what we’ve come to expect from a usual contender for first team All-Pro center duty. He epitomized why this line took such a nosedive. Losing Damien Woody was the first step in the team’s gradual decline and it seems saying goodbye to Brandon Moore may have really accelerated that process.

I thought Austin Howard was supposed to be the highest graded member of the OL? Maybe that was just for run blocking.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
Re: PFF ranks the Jets OL 25th
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/

I thought Austin Howard was supposed to be the highest graded member of the OL? Maybe that was just for run blocking.

Howard was for most of the year, but then he had a couple weak performances toward the end of the year when everyone else turned it around.  His two lowest graded games were against Carolina and Miami.

2013 overall ratings:

Brick: 0.1
Mangold: -0.2
Howard: -1.0
Colon: -1.1
Ducasse: -9.5
Winters: -28.5

Run-blocking:

Brick: -9.7
Mangold: -9.3
Howard: -11.2
Colon: -6.5
Ducasse: 1.0
Winters: -17.4

Pass blocking:

Brick: 6.0
Mangold: 6.8
Howard: 2.9
Colon: 11.1
Ducasse: -7.9
Winters: -14.6

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »
If thats not the shittiest run blocking grade in the NFL... my god is that atrociously bad.
Need a new one for a new board...

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »
If thats not the shittiest run blocking grade in the NFL... my god is that atrociously bad.

Imagine our backs behind a good line.

reuben

• Al Toon
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »

I guess they have the o-line ranked 30th, but the team as a whole ranked 31st in run blocking. (-82.3) Jaguars took it all with a -108 grade.

Just FYI, here's our team grades:

Overall Offense: -89.0 (30th)
Pass: -25.1 (28th)
Rush: 6.8 (17th)
Pass Block: -6.7 (20th)
Run Block: (above)
Penalty 18.3 (25th)

Overall Defense: 46.1 (13th)
Run Defense: 121.1 (1st)
Pass Rush: -27.5 (25th)
Coverage: -57.1 (29th)
Penalty: 4.9 (27th)

Special Teams: -12.1 (27th)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
With grades like that it's amazing we finished at .500.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

NDMick

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:46:51 PM »
With grades like that it's amazing we finished at .500.

Rex Ryan, Babbie.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:47:42 PM »
The problem I have with their grading philosophy is it doesn't take into consideration of stacked boxes, and other defensive schemes.  It is all based on the end result, and IMO that doesn't tell the whole story. 

The biggest problem with our pass blocking, again IMO, was the QB struggled with reading defenses. 

reuben

• Al Toon
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »
The problem I have with their grading philosophy is it doesn't take into consideration of stacked boxes, and other defensive schemes.  It is all based on the end result, and IMO that doesn't tell the whole story. 

The biggest problem with our pass blocking, again IMO, was the QB struggled with reading defenses. 

It sounds like you would be more interested in Football Outsider's DVOA statistics, which I have no shame in admitting confuse the utter freak out of me. 

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 10:11:31 PM »
It sounds like you would be more interested in Football Outsider's DVOA statistics, which I have no shame in admitting confuse the utter freak out of me.

Thanks, but I am not really that big on stats.  I will check them out though. 

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:21:04 PM by hawk »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 05:19:55 AM »

I just want to highlight this point. Geno was freaking horrendous. Anybody got grades on him? because I have to think his grade was at the NFL bottom (or miraculously 31st because Eli threw more INTs).

Like Mick said, when you look at how horrid our offense grades were (without the QB included from what I see, which should be the worst of it) its a miracle we got to 8-8 ad it a huge reason Rex deserved to stay this season.
Need a new one for a new board...

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 08:00:40 AM »
its a miracle we got to 8-8 ad it a huge reason Rex deserved to stay this season.

No. He sucks. Look how good Bill O'Brien has been since he took charge of the Texans. We let a big one slip away from us there.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 08:03:34 AM »
Look how good Bill O'Brien has been since he took charge of the Texans. We let a big one slip away from us there.

...what? 

I get that you're trying to be sarcastic, but it still doesn't make any sense.  No one will know if O'Brien is a strong hire until a few years from now. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:17:56 AM by Heismanberg »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »
...what? 

I get that you're trying to be sarcastic, but it still doesn't make any sense.  No one will know if O'Brien is a strong hire until a few years from now. 

We coulda had Schiano!

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 01:51:29 PM »
...what? 

Lol. Of course not. I was joking about your insistence with college coaches with no NFL head coaching experience and the theory that they decided to keep Ryan after the O'Brien-Houston rumours were disclosed.

Tags: jets