Author Topic: 2021 Mets Thread  (Read 26530 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: 2020 Mets Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 02:06:54 PM »
Not to defend the Wilpons, but this is the second time a deal Cohen was involved in to buy a team has fallen through. And MLB will not give him another chance to buy one?

Maybe the Wilpons aren't at fault here? Again, not to defend them, and yet again I feel bad for Mets fans, but something doesn't sound right.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 02:26:20 PM »
Not to defend the Wilpons, but this is the second time a deal Cohen was involved in to buy a team has fallen through. And MLB will not give him another chance to buy one?

Maybe the Wilpons aren't at fault here? Again, not to defend them, and yet again I feel bad for Mets fans, but something doesn't sound right.

Considering there's an NDA in play, I'm taking everything I'm reading about this with a massive heap of salt.

I'm seeing two different narratives coming out. One is that Cohen was trying to change financial terms at the last minute, the second is that Fredo (Jeff) Wilpon was pushing daddy to ensure that they'd retain operational control for five years post-sale (which is ludicrous but something that apparently was going to happen) AND wanted it mandated that he be given a "senior adviser" role post-sale and still have a meaningful role with the club.

Given the fact that one is frequently accused of insider trading and the other has the worst reputation among baseball executives and owners since Jeffrey Lurie sold the Marlins, its entirely possible both things are true.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 10:10:25 AM »
Jed Lowrie showed up to ST wearing a leg brace that goes from hip to ankle then refused to answer questions regarding his knee injury

Had 7 AB last year after signing a 2 year 20 million dollar deal
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 10:22:26 AM »
Approached by reporters, Yoenis Cespedes declined an interview request.

“Not today, not tomorrow, not at all this year,” he said.

He didn’t say why, but did say he might want to talk to his fans.

Then he spritzed some cologne on his uniform pullover and headed outside.

Tim Healey

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 11:30:58 AM »
the wilpons are definitely at fault for the deal falling through. they've had a history with reneging on verbal agreements and/or making unreasonable demands in the past when a deal with a potential buyer in 2011 fell through over excrement like this

a piece of excrement like manfred befriending/backing you is already a checkmark against you

jeff wilpon, who is a historic piece of excrement and has done nothing to justify ever being involved in any sort of professional baseball organization in a decision-making capacity whatsoever, not only told cohen he wanted the 'transitional' process to last > 5 years, he STILL wanted to be the annointed 'control person' for the Mets to the MLB (every team has one person annointed to this role) even after cohen bought out and owned 80% of the fvcking team.

they are completely at fault here. i am waiting for the day the fvcking wilpons and this fvckhead van waganenen get the fvck out of here. what's going to happen is that nobody's going to offer as much as cohen did, so he's going to end up coming back in and getting what he wants. i don't know how fvcking long that process is going to take

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 11:46:22 AM »
jeff wilpon, who is a historic piece of excrement

Quoted just to give this line some shine

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 01:09:14 PM »
Both parties can be completed POSs in this, which is likely the case since Cohen is no longer allowed to make a purchase bid for any team in MLB and the Wilpons are exactly who they’ve been their entire time as owners.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2020, 03:22:02 PM »
My take is Cohen rushed to buy the team and then realized how stupid it was to own something and not have operational control. He's a billionaire and extremely smart and stopped and thought, "what the freak am I doing?" especially considering the cheap idiots he says dealing with. The Wilpons told him to freak himself or wanted more money to amend the terms and that's where it broke down.

Either way they all look retarded.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2020, 09:31:12 PM »
Either way they all look retarded.

This is the overall moral of the story.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2020, 03:27:28 PM »
Mets have a good rotation and a good lineup. I think they’ll compete this year.

Their biggest weakness is probably lack of positional flexibility and defense. They don’t have a real CF, not strong up the middle defensively, and they have too many corner OF/IF types. That shouldn’t matter that much if they pitch and hit well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:40:46 PM by SixFeetDeep »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2020, 08:25:46 PM »
2020 JO Mets/Mikkeller tailgate

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2020, 12:18:28 AM »
Make it a Sunday. In.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2020, 09:08:39 AM »

I could be down for this.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2020, 09:27:02 AM »

Subway series at Citifield July 28-29

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2020, 11:17:54 AM »
If we can drink, I am in on a baseball tailgate, I will come with my Astro's jersey. I will be banging drums for fastballs.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tags: