Author Topic: Jets lose 22-6 to the winless Bengals  (Read 4636 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Jets lose 22-6 to the winless Bengals
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 03:30:55 PM »
"Other than developing the most important piece of the franchise, which is specifically what Gase was hired to do, what good has he done?"

My point, which you appear to be avoiding, is that Sam's development would have happened regardless of who was head coach. In fact, I believe that Gase is probably slowing his development unless you think that a QB spending half of every game running for his life is a helpful thing.

You're supposed to scheme around your weaknesses, not just run whatever the freak you think looks cool in your big book of autism and then hide behind the fact that the talent wasn't there to enable the plays to work.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 03:33:58 PM »
^^^was still a 2 possession game, you can't take Sam out.

I agree, this offensive line is historically bad.  They were bad to start with, and then the shitty players got injured and shitty became diarrhea on white pants in front of your date at the Senior Prom.

I don't know if Gase sucks.  I'm sure he does, but it's like trying to identify a murderer while blindfolded.

This season needs to end yesterday.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 03:35:11 PM »
i am going to start out this post by saying that i am not a gase fan and am on the 'fire gase' bandwagon, but today's loss was not because of adam gase.

this OL is bad. so, so bad. compton and shell were getting wrecked today. it's just how they played today, but you have to accept this as a possibility when trying to operate with sub-optimal talent. the offense and the team looked good when the OL had been able to put in solid performances the past few weeks, but today they just weren't able to do that. that's down to talent. today beachum just happened to put up a stinker and the rest of the OL was really sorry for it

almost all of the holds occurred for similar reasons - talent. it's not like they were out there needlessly holding for no reason. they were holding because they were getting beat so, so easily and couldn't do anything else otherwise. it would either be a hold or a sack.

i'm not going to buy that as a discipline thing, it's down to talent. i still feel the beachum block in the back was a weak call, but it was correct. but beachum is a grown man and has been playing this game his whole life, and knows better than that. he shouldn't have done it. nothing there should be put on coaching or the coaching staff to teach beachum that he shouldn't be doing that in that situation, he already knows.

there weren't many/any positives from today's game. one thing i am actually pissed about is the fact that sam was still in there for the last drive when the game was over and we were getting wrecked. i would have taken sam out, which may have still drawn ire for gase with regards to 'quitting' but it was the right thing to do. then bringing him back for the final needless play after sam actually got hurt, only to see him running for his life after he'd just sustained a knock to his legs. that excrement was dumb and gase shouldn't have done it.

i also don't think any of sam's progress is down to anything from gase either. what we've been seeing is sam's natural progression as a talented, smart 2nd year QB. i'll give gase credit for the good playcalling he's displayed the prior few weeks. other than that, i am not a fan of gase, not at all

however, today's loss had nothing to do with gase. there was nothing he/we could have done
Great, great post. I don't think I would have pulled Darnold, but I agree about your point about the offensive line. It was atrocious today. There wasn't really anything you could do about it, especially when you combine it with the penalties. Everyone wanted to run the ball (including me at one point). But when you can't generate any push in the run game, it becomes a waste of a down.

And while I was giving JE some excrement earlier, I agree that Darnold's development isn't necessarily because of Gase. But I don't think it really matters - as long as Darnold is playing well, we should keep him in the same system, unless Gase shows he is an egregiously bad coach. And I haven't seen that. He isn't out there blocking.

But to JE's point of, "We aren't the only team with a bad offensive line," you're right. Here are the five worst offensive lines in the NFL entering this week according to FootballOutsiders.

32. Dolphins
31. Jets
30. Bengals
29. Bears
28. Falcons

You know what all of those teams have in common? They suck! They're inconsistent offensively! Atlanta, Miami and the Jets have all had games where they've clicked offensively. They've also all had games where they looked like absolute garbage offensively. That's what happens when you have a disaster offensive line - sustained success becomes extremely difficult.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
My point, which you appear to be avoiding, is that Sam's development would have happened regardless of who was head coach. In fact, I believe that Gase is probably slowing his development unless you think that a QB spending half of every game running for his life is a helpful thing.

You're supposed to scheme around your weaknesses, not just run whatever the freak you think looks cool in your big book of autism and then hide behind the fact that the talent wasn't there to enable the plays to work.

This X 1000

Rosetta Stoned

• Laveranues Coles
  • Holy freaking excrement
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »
however, today's loss had nothing to do with gase. there was nothing he/we could have done

I agree with a lot of your points, but when the team comes out flat on every side off the ball, offense, defense and special teams and physically just gets beat; nevertheless, against an 0-11 team, that's on the coaching staff.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 03:41:15 PM »

Again, I'm not sure what coach you want that would have Darnold not running for his life.

If you think Darnold is developing in spite of Gase, you're welcome to that opinion, but there's no way you can actually support that with evidence. None of us can.

I don't think Darnold is necessarily developing because of Gase. But you can't just separate the two and say one has nothing to do with the other just because you don't like Gase. At least not this early.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2019, 03:43:52 PM »
Again, I'm not sure what coach you want that would have Darnold not running for his life.

If you think Darnold is developing in spite of Gase, you're welcome to that opinion, but there's no way you can actually support that with evidence. None of us can.

I don't think Darnold is necessarily developing because of Gase. But you can't just separate the two and say one has nothing to do with the other just because you don't like Gase. At least not this early.

I'm not sure what you see from Gase is encouraging. He was a disaster in Miami, and he's doing the same excrement here. How much more do you need to see? 

I get it, he's here next year.  But that's not a good thing.  I'm at an age now where i don't want to waste seasons in the hope that our HC will figure excrement out.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2019, 03:49:10 PM »
I'm not sure what you see from Gase is encouraging. He was a disaster in Miami, and he's doing the same excrement here. How much more do you need to see? 

I get it, he's here next year.  But that's not a good thing.  I'm at an age now where i don't want to waste seasons in the hope that our HC will figure excrement out.
I don't think he was a disaster in Miami. He's the only coach in the last decade to lead Miami to the playoffs, and it's the only time he has ever had a healthy quarterback for the majority of the season. When Tannehill was healthy, he had a winning record. When he was playing Brock Osweiler and Jay Cutler, he didn't. He wasn't great, but those Dolphins teams weren't exactly loaded with talent, so much so that as soon as he left, they decided to tank.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2019, 03:55:50 PM »
I don't think he was a disaster in Miami. He's the only coach in the last decade to lead Miami to the playoffs, and it's the only time he has ever had a healthy quarterback for the majority of the season. When Tannehill was healthy, he had a winning record. When he was playing Brock Osweiler and Jay Cutler, he didn't. He wasn't great, but those Dolphins teams weren't exactly loaded with talent, so much so that as soon as he left, they decided to tank.

Miami getting to the playoffs was a fluke.  He's not the answer here.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2019, 05:09:57 PM »
Signing off for a while.

Not worth sifting through all the whining about the head coach being the problem with this team.

This. And we know they're bringing him back, so on top of tedious it's pointless.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2019, 05:12:49 PM »
50 pass plays and 15 runs against the worst run defense in the league. This is Schottenheimer all over again. Never mind what's happening on the field, look at this awesome thing I drew up in my book!
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2019, 05:18:26 PM »
This. And we know they're bringing him back, so on top of tedious it's pointless.
Doesn’t make it right.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2019, 05:37:01 PM »
Signing off for a while.

Not worth sifting through all the whining about the head coach being the problem with this team.

Bye
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »
50 pass plays and 15 runs against the worst run defense in the league. This is Schottenheimer all over again. Never mind what's happening on the field, look at this awesome thing I drew up in my book!
I feel you, but its not like the running attack was effective.  Additionally, its hard to run the ball when its 1st and 20 because of a holding penalty or 2nd and 17 because of a sack.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »
And to repeat the point I made in the game thread: can anyone who wants to defend Gase point to a single thing that is good this season that can't be attributed to the natural development of a hugely talented sophomore QB?

We aren't the only team in this league with a massive pile of excrement for an offensive line. This is on the coaching.

Nah dude we're just whining about a fantastic coach, we should be sycophants to every FO and coach.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Tags: