Author Topic: 2020 MLB thread  (Read 44731 times)

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
Re: 2020 MLB thread
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2020, 02:07:34 PM »
I'm glad to hear it.  I can't imagine being at the epicenter of this excrement....stay safe, dude.
I feel like it’s gotten better. The level of depravity on the trains seems to have dissipated in the last few weeks. My wife is out of work and had to sacrifice some $$ to drop unemployment and sign back on so her job could qualify for the PPP. That basically guarantees she’ll have a job when things “re-open.”  Other than that, her teaching the kids, and not being able to see our family and friends everything is seemingly normal on my end. Not bartending on Saturdays is certainly costing me money too, but I can’t lie, it’s nice having the entire weekend off.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2020, 02:09:45 PM »
I'm glad to hear it.  I can't imagine being at the epicenter of this excrement....stay safe, dude.
My friends on the east coast, look to the skies and care for your families.

My friends to the north, look to the horizon and find shelter.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2020, 02:51:21 PM »
NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball told players their prorated salaries would contribute to an average loss of $640,000 for each game over an 82-game season in empty ballparks, according to a presentation from the commissioner's office to the union that was obtained by The Associated Press.

Painting a picture of a $10 billion industry shuttered by the contagion, the 12-page document titled "Economics of Playing Without Fans in Attendance" and dated May 12 was an initial step in negotiations aimed at starting the delayed season around the Fourth of July.

Teams say the proposed method of salvaging a season delayed by the coronavirus pandemic would still cause a $4 billion loss and would give major league players 89% of revenue.

They contend they lose more money with each additional game played. The players' union, however, believes clubs would lose less money with more games. In addition, many teams and/or their owners have stakes in their regional sports network that would benefit from additional games.

The New York Yankees alone would have $312 million in local losses when calculating their earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization. New York's figure includes about $100 million in payments toward the bonds that financed new Yankee Stadium.

The Los Angeles Dodgers were at $232 million in local losses, followed by the New York Mets at $214 million, Chicago Cubs at $199 million and Boston Red Sox at $188 million.

The Detroit Tigers would have the lowest negative EBIDTA -- an accounting measure used to assess profitability -- at $84 million, with Baltimore at $90 million, and Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay at $91 million each. Figures exclude distributions from the central office, which projects to collect $1.34 billion in media revenue.

The figures were calculated by MLB and its clubs, and the frequently skeptical union already has requested a slew of documents from MLB.

MLB said 2019 revenue was 39% local gate and other in-park sources, followed by 25% central revenue, 22% local media, 11% sponsorship and 4% other.

Teams fears a second wave of the coronavirus would devastate finances if renewed government restrictions cause cancellation of the postseason, which brings in $787 million in media money. The document details who pays what: $370 million by Fox, $310 million by Turner, $27 million by ESPN, $30 million by the MLB Network and $50 million from international and other.

Teams project to increase their debt from $5.2 billion last year to $7.3 billion in 2020, leaving most clubs out of compliance with the labor contract's debt service rule. MLB's central office increased debt by $550 million to support clubs and is seeking $650 million more credit. MLB said many teams do not have the capacity to add more debt to fund losses in 2021.

MLB and the union agreed to a March 26 deal in which players would get a prorated share of their salaries during a shortened season. As part of the agreement, $170 million in salaries are being advanced through May 24. If the season is scrapped, players are guaranteed service time equal to what they accrued in 2019, a key to gaining eligibility for salary arbitration and free agency.

Now that plans have been formulated to possibly start the season in early July in disinfected stadiums with no gate revenue, at least at the start, MLB says the current economics are not feasible. Players have said they already made a deal and see no need for change.

But that deal is contingent on playing in front of fans at regular-season ballparks. The agreement committed both sides to "discuss in good faith the economic feasibility of playing games in the absence of spectators or at appropriate neutral sites."

Still, for all the questions, the presentation does detail the pandemic's financial destruction.

Revenue from regional sports networks drops in proportion to the lost games, from $2.3 billion to $1.2 billion and an average of $980,000 per game for both teams, according to the projection. Teams fear some additional losses because the regional networks will have to give up games to Fox and ESPN to fulfill national contracts. MLB said rights holders have already reserved rights to stop payments or demand refunds if agreed to inventory is not delivered.

Player salaries under the March 26 deal average $1.67 million per game for both clubs. MLB projects overall local revenue at $1.23 million a game for both teams and cost at $1.87 million.

MLB headed into the season projecting $9.967 billion in revenue, including $7.548 billion at the local level, according to the presentation.

Expenses totaled $10.234 billion: $4.366 billion for major league player compensation, $198 million for pensions and benefits, $537 million to sign amateurs, $4.73 billion in local expenses and $403 million for the central office.

That left MLB with a projected EBIDTA of $143 million after stadium depreciation and noncash add backs. Free cash flow was predicted at negative $95 million after interest expenses, mandatory principal payments and non-baseball income and losses, but excluding capital improvements. MLB says EBIDTA has been within $250 million of break-even annually since 2010.

Under the newly developed plan, MLB projects revenue at $2.87 billion, including $1.522 billion at the local level.

Expenses drop to $6.819 billion: $2.36 billion for major league player compensation, including salaries, prorated shares of signing bonuses, termination pay and buyouts of declined options.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2020, 11:04:25 PM »
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEG5FogJeh_Oizbe4uHdXEVQqGAgEKg8IACoHCAowhK-LAjD4ySww-9S0BQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen
I didn’t really know where to put this but it’s a really good read about Gregg Jeffries and why he didn’t make it in NY and in that generation. And, yes, I swung a bat underwater for little league.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2020, 04:30:03 PM »
I've read that Mike trout stands to lose more than the Pirates and Marlins would.

There's no way baseball happens this year, no freaking way the players should or would accept that terrible deal.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2020, 12:32:41 PM »
Roger Ehrenberg
@infoarbitrage
I've done a bunch more thinking about the @MLB @MLBPA negotiation, fueled by readers' comments as well as a deeper think on the dynamics between the parties. It also helped me reframe the players' position relative to how most people (and certainly I) had thought about it. /1

For starters, let's be clear. The disagreement is about how to best pay for losses sustained by a business. It is no more complex than this. The owners have suffered losses and face additional losses before prospects are likely to improve. This is what we're dealing with. /2

In business, when this happens, the owners of the business need to figure out how to pay for these losses. Sometimes businesses have enough cash to deal with them, other times they don't. Let's for the moment assume that the baseball owners don't have the cash. Now what? /3

I offered some suggestions in yesterday's post. But I should have started with first principles and asked: what is the best metaphor for baseball players in an ordinary business? I kept throwing around the term "employee" but this actually isn't correct - they're DEBTHOLDERS /4

This is when the light bulbs went off. The players aren't at-will employees, they're akin to buyers of bonds who help finance businesses. Rather than give cash upfront for future repayment, they give services. /5

But just as companies can't normally disavow this obligation, neither can the owners. So to be clear, this isn't like a normal business either firing their employees or forcing pay cuts to generate financing, the owners have the contractual obligation to pay. /6

Just like the relationship between businesses and their bondholders. And when businesses run into trouble, they have to negotiate with their bondholders and try to induce them to restructure these obligations - unless they declare bankruptcy, which is a different matter. /7

So as I said yesterday's post, this really reduces into how owners finance current and projected losses. But the status of the players heavily impacts their negotiating position, which is actually stronger than I had fully internalized. /8

So what are the possibilities? To extend the debholders' metaphor, owners could offer a mix of lower cash payments (salary cuts) in exchange equity upside (higher % of future share of revenues for a period, a share of the increase in appraised team values post-recover, etc.). /9

The owners hold the equity. The players hold the debt. If the owners can't pay the debt, the owners need to offer some of their equity. Either the owners have the wherewithal to pay the debt (bank loans, issue new debt, sell part of team) or they don't. /10

And if they don't, then the debtholders' should rightly assume that in exchange for relief they should get a piece of the equity. As mentioned, this can be through a royalty (revenue share) structure or an increase in asset value (appraise team values) approach. /11

But these are just mechanics. The dynamics are crystal clear. Hopefully this is helpful to @MLB @MLPBA and the players who have commented such as @Max_Scherzer and @BusterPosey. /12

One more thought for those who think both sides suck because of the "millionaires vs. billionaires" narrative separate from principle. All across the globe "the best at x" in the world receive large amounts of money. It could be athletes, media stars, executives, whatever. /13

The fact that athletes perform in front of live crowds, and have contracts, is what makes their presence so powerful, and the lack of their presence so galling. But we are all part of this system. This is how they're valued by society. It's not their "fault." /14

They are taking what society gives them. So sure, I get that the optics are bad, but that's really not the point. They're players, parents, children, siblings, friends - they're normal people. They just happen to be among the rare few who can do what they do. Let's play ball! /15

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2020, 01:13:50 PM »
the 2020 mlb draft will be televised on the MLB network on Jun 10 and 11 (all 5 rounds).

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #189 on: May 31, 2020, 09:49:10 PM »
The MLBPA delivered a proposal to MLB on Sunday afternoon, a source familiar with it tells ESPN. It includes 114-game season that would end October 31, the right to opt out of the season for all players and potential deferral of salaries if 2020 the postseason were canceled.

Important note from the MLBPA's proposal. It has a season start date of June 30. Players want three weeks for training. Bake in a few days to travel to cities -- domestically and from around the world -- and for coronavirus testing. The point: a deal needs to get done this week.

Passan

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2020, 10:53:44 PM »
whats the big deal in playing into november? freak, a christmas season world series would be sickkkk

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #191 on: May 31, 2020, 11:04:13 PM »
yo i so hope they do it, can you imagine the hype of like a freaking christmas eve world series game? kershaw choking in game 7 on christmas eve would be it for me, i'd just die from all the blood exploding out of my erection

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #192 on: June 01, 2020, 12:15:55 AM »
yo i so hope they do it, can you imagine the hype of like a freaking christmas eve world series game? kershaw choking in game 7 on christmas eve would be it for me, i'd just die from all the blood exploding out of my erection
I would pillage a Tim Horton's in your memory

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #193 on: June 01, 2020, 12:30:01 AM »
there was a point in my life where i never thought i would say anything like this, but i literally would not care if baseball were never to restart, this season or ever again. over the past few years despite trying his darndest to improve the game, manfred has done nothing but worsen it. the icing on the cake was the way he handled the astros cheating scandal prior to all of this, which was a fckin travesty.

for the past 3 months, all involved in baseball management and baseball media have deliberately gone out of their way to ensure that the scandal goes unmentioned, undoubtedly a hopeful attempt to try and make us forget about it. this excrement still weighs heavily on my mind, as im sure it does for many other fans, anytime anything MLB-related is brought up. fck this sport

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2020, 07:05:05 AM »
there was a point in my life where i never thought i would say anything like this, but i literally would not care if baseball were never to restart, this season or ever again. over the past few years despite trying his darndest to improve the game, manfred has done nothing but worsen it. the icing on the cake was the way he handled the astros cheating scandal prior to all of this, which was a fckin travesty.

for the past 3 months, all involved in baseball management and baseball media have deliberately gone out of their way to ensure that the scandal goes unmentioned, undoubtedly a hopeful attempt to try and make us forget about it. this excrement still weighs heavily on my mind, as im sure it does for many other fans, anytime anything MLB-related is brought up. fck this sport

yeah but...that hot piece of derriere JLo is gonna be your new owner soon.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: