Author Topic: 2020 MLB thread  (Read 44737 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: 2020 MLB thread
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2020, 09:49:58 AM »
I'm being sarcastic. Everyone knows that that's what he should have done, but he's a puppet of the owners and presumably they don't want that.

I don't think that's why.

I think it's probably because he didn't expect it to be as bad as it was, and he offered immunity to all the players if they fully cooperated. They did, so he had to keep his end of the bargain.

He painted himself into a corner. It was stupid, but there's not much he can do about it. Honestly, there's been enough front-office anger that I wouldn't be surprised if other teams look to replace him when his contract is up, and I wouldn't be surprised if at least a few owners--especially those directly affected, like LA and NYY--felt the title should be vacated.

I think the only way Manfred saves his own job at this point is if he magically turns around the popularity of the sport. I'll just go ahead and say now that I highly doubt expanding the playoff format will do that.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2020, 10:10:22 AM »
I don't think that's why.

I think it's probably because he didn't expect it to be as bad as it was, and he offered immunity to all the players if they fully cooperated. They did, so he had to keep his end of the bargain.

He painted himself into a corner. It was stupid, but there's not much he can do about it. Honestly, there's been enough front-office anger that I wouldn't be surprised if other teams look to replace him when his contract is up, and I wouldn't be surprised if at least a few owners--especially those directly affected, like LA and NYY--felt the title should be vacated.

I think the only way Manfred saves his own job at this point is if he magically turns around the popularity of the sport. I'll just go ahead and say now that I highly doubt expanding the playoff format will do that.

I'm still betting it's the owners. My guess is that there are plenty of other organisations with skeletons they don't want uncovering, and taking drastic actions against the Astros might lead to the people being punished saying "freak you, if I'm going down I'm taking everyone else I can with me". Much better for them to sweep it all under the carpet and hope the fans move on.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2020, 10:19:08 AM »
He works for the owners, and he also has a job to protect the image of the league. Admitting that a team that has been the most prominent team in the AL over the last several years is a bunch of cheaters is not a good look for the league. Much easier to scapegoat 2 singular guys and pretend it wasn’t a systemic organizational issue.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2020, 10:31:46 AM »
I'm still betting it's the owners. My guess is that there are plenty of other organisations with skeletons they don't want uncovering, and taking drastic actions against the Astros might lead to the people being punished saying "freak you, if I'm going down I'm taking everyone else I can with me". Much better for them to sweep it all under the carpet and hope the fans move on.

I think if that were the case, teams would be telling players: "Look, what's done is done. We can't change it, so let's just answer with 'It sucks, but what can you do?' and let's move on."

The thing is, yes, every team has some skeletons, but this story was unbelievably bad--and getting worse. As bad as steroids were, I don't think that even compares to this. Being able to work out longer, recover faster, and even maybe gain some in-game skill enhancement is nothing compared to a professional hitter knowing exactly what pitch is coming.

Pros can hit a fastball. They can hit a curveball or a slider. But what makes it hard is that they don't which is coming. If you guess fastball, you swing before the ball gets there. If you guess curve, you swing when the ball's hitting the catcher's mitt. That's the only thing that makes a live game different from batting practice. CC Sabathia hit home runs in BP.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2020, 12:52:31 PM »
I knew Jorge Soler had a breakout year last season, had no idea he got up to 48 bombs. Wow. Think the Cubs gave him away for peanuts.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2020, 09:11:19 AM »
Zack Greinke reported today and said today is final day players can report.
"I just found out we don’t have to come these other days. If I would have known that 15 years ago, I wouldn’t have been coming for a while now," he said.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2020, 09:20:51 AM »
Zack Greinke reported today and said today is final day players can report.
"I just found out we don’t have to come these other days. If I would have known that 15 years ago, I wouldn’t have been coming for a while now," he said.

i believe him, dudes my kind of people. stay away from other people as much as possible

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2020, 09:21:29 AM »
joey bart is gonna be a great hitter in the MLB, i cannot wait to see him in the bigs

giants are still going to suck this year.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2020, 08:26:35 PM »
For the second time this spring training, the Boston Red Sox quarantined a player in wake of the virus outbreak.

Taiwanese pitcher Chih-Jung Liu has been bottled up in a Florida hotel room since his arrival from overseas, as the Red Sox are using “an overabundance of caution,” a team spokesperson told the Boston Globe.

Liu, 20, is the second Boston player to be quarantined by the organization after fellow countryman, infielder Tzu-Wei Lin, was quarantined earlier this month due to worries over the virus that is believed to have originated in China.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2020, 08:18:55 AM »
The Angels fired their longtime visiting clubhouse manager after an internal investigation confirmed that he was providing opposing pitchers with illegal ball-doctoring substances. MLB, which vows to enforce that rule this season, tipped them off. ...

Lol

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2020, 01:37:48 PM »
So supposedly the baseball is de-juiced this year

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2020, 08:09:34 AM »
Anyone want in on a fantasy baseball league with some of my dumbass friends, yahoo, $20 buy in and draft target date next Monday at 7:15

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »

Tags: