Author Topic: 2020 MLB thread  (Read 44741 times)

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
Re: 2020 MLB thread
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2020, 09:33:08 PM »
i wonder if the chicken excrement idiot who didnt vote for jeter is going to come forward?

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2020, 11:48:14 AM »
i wonder if the chicken excrement idiot who didnt vote for jeter is going to come forward?

Never going to happen. How can you explain it? The only possible excuse is that he/she wanted to give that vote to a "fringe player" rather than "waste it" on a sure-thing inductee. But then that returns the question of "who?" Did you think a 'roider like Clemens or Bonds deserved that vote? Or maybe you thought "Hey, Bobby Abreu had a 'good enuff' career."

I'm unquestionably biased on this one, but FFS, what could be the justification that Jeter didn't deserve to be a 1st-ballot HoFer? Because that's exactly what you're saying when you leave him off your ballot, no matter how you try to justify it.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2020, 12:57:21 PM »

I'm unquestionably biased on this one, but FFS, what could be the justification that Jeter or Willie Mays or Ted Williams or Hank Aaron or Babe Ruth or Mike Schmidt or Joe DiMaggio or Nolan Ryan or Sandy Koufax etc etc didn't deserve to be a 1st-ballot HoFer? Because that's exactly what you're saying when you leave him off your ballot, no matter how you try to justify it.

FYP, haha.
Basic reason is that baseball writers are sanctimonious, self-important dipshits.

I didn't expect Jeter to be a unanimous choice (because BBWAA "reasons"), and I'm extremely satisfied that he had the highest percentage ever after Mo.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2020, 01:25:20 PM »
Basic reason is that baseball writers are sanctimonious, self-important dipshits.

Quoted for truth X's 1 million.

A bunch of Dan Shaughnessy's. I didn't think I could dislike someone through their writing at NBC more than I did Florio, then I spent 10 minutes on hardballtalk. Look up sanctimonious poopchute in the dictionary and there's Craig Calcaterra.   

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2020, 01:34:47 PM »
FYP, haha.

I didn't expect Jeter to be a unanimous choice (because BBWAA "reasons"), and I'm extremely satisfied that he had the highest percentage ever after Mo.

Obviously, every guy you mentioned, and then some, deserved to be unanimous. But I "understand" why they weren't (the old "Ruth wasn't uni, so nobody can be" argument). Today, in the post-Rivera world, the excuse is gone. You can't change the past, but you can be better going forward.

I can't stand that writers vote on player awards. That goes for HoF, MVP, Cy Young, whatever. SFD recently made a comment about Michael Kay being an idiot who hasn't played since tee-ball. How does a guy like him (not him specifically, I don't know if he gets a vote) have the right to judge a guy who spent the best years of his adult life hitting 90MPH fastballs?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2020, 04:13:32 PM »
Today, in the post-Rivera world, the excuse is gone. You can't change the past, but you can be better going forward.

This is a great point, and I totally agree.
Again, I'm happily surprised that Jeter only missed by one vote to almost match Mariano. So hopefully it puts the spotlight on that one vote-snubber.
Will he acknowledge his shameful scarlet letter, or will he wear it as a badge of misplaced "honor"?

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2020, 11:00:57 AM »
SOURCE: #Rockies GM Jeff Bridich’s seat is now scorching hot. Facing pressure, Rockies are opening back up talks. Arenado told Rockies to either add for playoffs or trade him, and they did neither. #Mets and #Dodgers in discussions in addition to current front-runner #Cardinals

Rangers in as well
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2020, 11:05:23 AM »
Rangers in as well

Really wish the Yankees would throw their hat in that ring. They don't have the same prospects as those other clubs, but they could take on the entire salary which is a selling point.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2020, 11:26:32 AM »
Really wish the Yankees would throw their hat in that ring. They don't have the same prospects as those other clubs, but they could take on the entire salary which is a selling point.
Nah..you’re good
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2020, 01:40:51 PM »
Nah..you’re good

Great really. But there's no harm in being better.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2020, 01:41:58 PM »
Great really. But there's no harm in being better.

veto
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2020, 01:56:32 PM »
Now....for Arenado, I’d be open to trading anyone not named deGrom or Alonso. I love McNeill, i would hate to trade him, but for a guy this good, in his prime, I’d pull the trigger.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2020, 02:35:47 PM »
Dodgers were interested in him. Even if he just leaves the NL West, that'd be fine.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2020, 03:01:31 PM »
Now....for Arenado, I’d be open to trading anyone not named deGrom or Alonso. I love McNeill, i would hate to trade him, but for a guy this good, in his prime, I’d pull the trigger.

your GM was about to trade McNeill for Cano last year

Tags: