Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 2020 New York Yankees Thread  (Read 55435 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: The OFFICIAL 2020 New York Yankees Thread
« Reply #690 on: October 28, 2020, 10:42:51 PM »
How are the Yankees crying about salaries. Do they not have one of the highest payrolls every year?

Not gonna happen. Probably wasn’t gonna happen before the 2020 losses.

Those days are gone. Reference the Red Sox trading Betts and the Yankees passing up on Harper and Machado.

Without doing any research I think they have 30-40 mill to burn. There isn’t room for two 20M+ contracts in there. 

Makes no sense.

The Yankees don't want to spend more money, despite making it hand-over-fist. Even with the 2020 excuse, this is a rich team--and I just saw they're considering taking the organization public if Henry does it with the Sox.

If they desperately want to balance some money out, I'd look at seeing if I could move Chapman and slide Britton into the closer role. Or maybe see if you can package Stanton with a prospect or two and Andujar to relieve the Stanton contract.

I understand the idea of not entering into long-term megadeals with guys like Harper or Machado, who once they age you run out of DH slots. But neither Bauer nor LaMahieu is that kind of investment.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #691 on: October 28, 2020, 10:49:22 PM »
Makes no sense.

The Yankees don't want to spend more money, despite making it hand-over-fist. Even with the 2020 excuse, this is a rich team--and I just saw they're considering taking the organization public if Henry does it with the Sox.

If they desperately want to balance some money out, I'd look at seeing if I could move Chapman and slide Britton into the closer role. Or maybe see if you can package Stanton with a prospect or two and Andujar to relieve the Stanton contract.

I understand the idea of not entering into long-term megadeals with guys like Harper or Machado, who once they age you run out of DH slots. But neither Bauer nor LaMahieu is that kind of investment.

Except the Yankees didn’t make money hand over fist this year. They took the biggest loss of any MLB team. You know that right?

Facts are they have a top of the league payroll and they’re up hard against the luxury tax which *spoiler alert* none of these rich derriere mlb teams want to pay because it’s a giant cut of their profits and these teams are businesses not vehicles for our whimsical fantasies where we sign every top FA every year.

Projected 2021 salary via spotrac:

1) New York Yankees - $175

This is before they make all of their moves to make the team competitive.
Stop. Complaining. About. Payroll.

What you should be complaining about is the inability of a team with a $200M payroll to beat a team with a $50M payroll. You really think the problem is that they’re not spending enough money?
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #692 on: October 29, 2020, 07:24:21 AM »
Except the Yankees didn’t make money hand over fist this year. They took the biggest loss of any MLB team. You know that right?

Facts are they have a top of the league payroll and they’re up hard against the luxury tax which *spoiler alert* none of these rich derriere mlb teams want to pay because it’s a giant cut of their profits and these teams are businesses not vehicles for our whimsical fantasies where we sign every top FA every year.

Projected 2021 salary via spotrac:

1) New York Yankees - $175

This is before they make all of their moves to make the team competitive.
Stop. Complaining. About. Payroll.

What you should be complaining about is the inability of a team with a $200M payroll to beat a team with a $50M payroll. You really think the problem is that they’re not spending enough money?

I'm always going to complain about spending money. It's not mine. My only interest is winning, not profiting.

That said, I agree the problem isn't the physical spending of money--it's how the money has been spent. Stanton should not be a Yankee. Just like ARod never should have been. I really like both of them, but both had bloated contracts. And those are two worthy players, nevermind spending on someone like an Ellsbury.

But that's kind of my point. This team needs to spend on players that will help, not might. You can rely on DJ to get a hit at least 30% of the time. He's proven himself to be a hitter the Yankees desperately need with RISP. He's not a boom-or-bust hitter, so even with a multi-year deal, he's likely to live up to his payday. Bauer is the kind of pitcher this team desperately needs if they want to win titles. Cole was the first piece, but then you need a guy who is going to win you game 2 and put you in the driver's seat of a series. Add in Severino, and you've got a rotation that can compete long-term in October.

There are bad contracts on this team. I'd also put Hicks and Chapman in that category. Again, players I like, but their money could pay for bigger needs or more reliable players. If Cashman can trade away some money, by all means. But I don't care if Steinbrenner pays more out of pocket to acquire more talent on top of bad contracts.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #693 on: October 29, 2020, 01:48:41 PM »
There's no excuse for not resigning DJ. I have absolutely no expectations that Hal is going to break the bank, but this is the Yankees, spend the $$$ to retain batting champions.

His salary and Gardy's 10 million coming off the books cover it. It's been a great run, but bringing back Gardy at the expense of sacrificing further at-bats for Frazier is organizational malpractice.

Given what's transpired this year I have absolutely no expectations that they do anything else besides either retain the starting pitching they have, or acquire one replacement for the two they're going to lose. If it was up to me a "frugal" Yankee off-season would be at least retaining Tanaka and going into next year with Cole-Sevvy-Tanaka-German-Montgomery in the hopes that Garcia or Schmidt maybe takes someones job if Monty falters or German looks like excrement off the layoff. Andujar is a chip if they want to bring in another starter, but his value has clearly taken a hit.

Gausman is a solid bargain target, but I'd rather just roll with what we have and hope youth prevails. 

I'm over Gary Sanchez, but I'm not breaking the bank on Realmuto and the rest of the catching market is excrement. 

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 09:31:17 PM by SixFeetDeep »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #695 on: October 30, 2020, 12:30:41 PM »
Charlie Morton’s $15M option declined by Rays.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #696 on: October 30, 2020, 01:43:22 PM »
Rangers declined their option on Kluber.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #697 on: October 30, 2020, 04:04:34 PM »
Rangers declined their option on Kluber.

Wow. #bloodbathszn

I'd be pretty happy if the Yankees signed Bauer, re-signed DJ, and brought in Kluber on a couple-year deal.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #698 on: October 30, 2020, 05:09:22 PM »
Wow. #bloodbathszn

I'd be pretty happy if the Yankees signed Bauer, re-signed DJ, and brought in Kluber on a couple-year deal.
I don't know why I thought Kluber was older than 34.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #699 on: October 30, 2020, 07:59:06 PM »
I don't know why I thought Kluber was older than 34.

He wasn’t a “late bloomer” per say, but the first time he did anything meaningful in the mlb was at age 27.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #700 on: October 30, 2020, 08:13:14 PM »
He wasn’t a “late bloomer” per say, but the first time he did anything meaningful in the mlb was at age 27.
Per se
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #701 on: October 31, 2020, 07:29:08 AM »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #702 on: November 01, 2020, 06:44:33 AM »
Pirates decline Chris Archer’s option, per se.

-Michael Meyers

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #703 on: November 06, 2020, 09:07:17 AM »
The Jasson Dominguez accolades.

He's the Yankees system's...

- No. 1 prospect
- Best power hitting prospect
- Fastest baserunner
- Best athlete
- Best defensive outfielder
- Best outfield arm

New scouting report: buff.ly/368I66o

Baseball America

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #704 on: November 06, 2020, 09:50:56 AM »
Wow. #bloodbathszn

Kluber is shot to excrement unfortunately.

Tags: