Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 2020 New York Yankees Thread  (Read 55233 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: The OFFICIAL 2020 New York Yankees Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 02:09:35 PM »
For comparison, Fangraphs Gleyber Torres scouting report from 2018 when he was 20/21:

Tool Grades (Present/Future)

Hit - 40/55
Power - 40/55
Run - 50/40
Fielding - 40/50
Throw - 55/55
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 07:26:47 PM »
On both sides of the plate, Dominguez has reportedly hit exit velocities over 110 mph. And speaking of speed, he ran a 6.3 60-yard dash. Putting that into perspective: Billy Hamilton, the fastest man in baseball, runs a 6.2 60-yard dash.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2019, 02:07:26 PM »
Baseball America’s grades for 16 year old Jasson Dominguez:

Hit: 60
Power: 70
Run: 70
Fielding: 60
Arm: 60

5 tool player.

My fantasy keeper league has a minor league system/draft with our own criteria of eligibility and graduation from minor league prospect to major leaguer.

I'm absolutely taking this kid and just sitting on his rights if he falls to me in the minor league draft.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2019, 03:56:49 PM »
My fantasy keeper league has a minor league system/draft with our own criteria of eligibility and graduation from minor league prospect to major leaguer.

I'm absolutely taking this kid and just sitting on his rights if he falls to me in the minor league draft.

You’re not talking about the Fangraphs version, are you?

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2019, 04:18:02 PM »
You’re not talking about the Fangraphs version, are you?

My high school friends and I have run a Yahoo keeper league since we were seniors in high school (05). We allow five "minor leaguers" that must be drafted in our yearly minor league draft and they graduate upon our own set criteria. Once they graduate you either need to let them go or use a regular keeper spot on them.

It's a huge competitive advantage if you can get a guy locked in on your ML list without having to burn a keeper spot. For example, Judge was on my minor league list his rookie year. Keston Hiura hasn't hit enough AB's for him to graduate so he'll be front and center on my list this off-season.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2019, 08:15:54 AM »
The Yankees have spoken to Austin Romine’s agent about a potential return, but they believe Kyle Higashioka is ready to be the backup. Higashioka is out of minor league options.

Fully on board with this. I think Romine is gone, some other team is gonna give him decent money because catchers are scarce. He's average to below average though. I also think Higashioka has a really good chance to be better offensively and defensively than Romine.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2019, 08:18:34 AM »
My high school friends and I have run a Yahoo keeper league since we were seniors in high school (05). We allow five "minor leaguers" that must be drafted in our yearly minor league draft and they graduate upon our own set criteria. Once they graduate you either need to let them go or use a regular keeper spot on them.

It's a huge competitive advantage if you can get a guy locked in on your ML list without having to burn a keeper spot. For example, Judge was on my minor league list his rookie year. Keston Hiura hasn't hit enough AB's for him to graduate so he'll be front and center on my list this off-season.

That’s dope. I’m in a league that’s a 40 man dynasty roster with salary cap and full access to minor league rosters. Got Judge, Andujar, Clint, Gleyber when they were young and cheap. Got Tauchman, Gio and Ford for nothing in auctions before they blew up this past season.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »
Fully on board with this. I think Romine is gone, some other team is gonna give him decent money because catchers are scarce. He's average to below average though. I also think Higashioka has a really good chance to be better offensively and defensively than Romine.

We disagree about Romine's talent. I think he's a better player on both sides of the ball than you do, but we do agree that he's gone. Someone is going to pay him to be a starter.

I think Higgy will be fine as the backup though. It really depends on how often they rest Sanchez. If he only fills in once a week, with a late-inning sub here and there, I don't think we'll notice any difference.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »
That’s dope. I’m in a league that’s a 40 man dynasty roster with salary cap and full access to minor league rosters. Got Judge, Andujar, Clint, Gleyber when they were young and cheap. Got Tauchman, Gio and Ford for nothing in auctions before they blew up this past season.

That is SICK. I play OOTP to satiate my baseball nerdness on top of doing fantasy, but this sounds like something that would be so much fun.

I tend to agree with Alio on Romine, and I'm surprised there isn't a team out there that wouldn't give him a shot as a starter.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2019, 08:02:25 PM »
RIP Bird

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2019, 08:04:52 PM »
Here’s 2 things I’ll say about Romine:

1) I think he’s a starting caliber C within the league (mainly due to lack of talent at the position)

2) Romine plays much better when he gets regular ABs. This is true for most players, but he’s clearly performed better when he’s had the starting role when Gary goes down vs getting to play once a week.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »
Here’s 2 things I’ll say about Romine:

1) I think he’s a starting caliber C within the league (mainly due to lack of talent at the position)

2) Romine plays much better when he gets regular ABs. This is true for most players, but he’s clearly performed better when he’s had the starting role when Gary goes down vs getting to play once a week.

100% agree with all of this.

And honestly, I worry more every day that the luxury tax will play into decision making. If it's a matter of getting a top tier pitcher or paying Romine, you have to pursue pitching. Higashioka is a good enough fallback plan.

Weirdly, it looks like the plan for the Yankees is to give Sanchez more than one day off a week. That would've increased the value of Romine, but again, you have to prioritize.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tags: