Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 2020 New York Yankees Thread  (Read 55402 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: The OFFICIAL 2020 New York Yankees Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2020, 09:44:38 PM »
Over the last 2 seasons, Voit ranks 26th in MLB BB% at 13.1%

For comparison:

1) Trout: 19.2%
3) Juan Soto: 16.2%
13) Judge: 14.8%
16) Hicks: 14.5%
22) Mookie: 13.5%
26) Voit: 13.1%
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2020, 12:20:34 PM »
Voit has top notch on base skills, Andujar rarely takes a walk. Andujar is a better contact hitter, but Voit has relatively good contact skills for a slugger.

Andujar - 606 PA in 2018
.297/.328/.527 - .855 OPS

Voit - 658 PA in 18/19
.280/.384/.517 - .901 OPS

Andujar is a doubles machine (47 in 2018!) which really kicks up his slugging, but Voit gets on base so much more that he’s the better overall player right now imo. They’re both absolutely awful defensively and would both be DHing instead of playing the field in an ideal scenario.

Edit:
.100 point split between BA and OBP puts Voit into the conversation for elite on base skills

The doubles are big to me. On base is great, but doubles do a lot of damage. A walk is as good as a hit, but a double is better than anything but a home run to me. They drive in all but the slowest runner from any base, and they keep at least one runner in scoring position.

Honestly, other than the defense, you really can't go wrong with either at first. And if Stanton can actually play left field regularly you can just get both in the lineup anyway. It would get really interesting if Stanton shows he can play out there every day and Frazier looks good too.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »
The doubles are big to me. On base is great, but doubles do a lot of damage. A walk is as good as a hit, but a double is better than anything but a home run to me. They drive in all but the slowest runner from any base, and they keep at least one runner in scoring position.

Honestly, other than the defense, you really can't go wrong with either at first. And if Stanton can actually play left field regularly you can just get both in the lineup anyway. It would get really interesting if Stanton shows he can play out there every day and Frazier looks good too.

Slugging % (and subsequently OPS) factor in doubles and Andujar only beats Voit by 10 points. Voit hits HRs at a higher rate.

klaximilian

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2020, 03:11:25 PM »
The biggest acquisition is not Gerrit Cole, it's Head Trainer Eric Cressey.

I know it hard to top last year's injury plagued season, but prepare for the Yankees to be much healthier this season.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2020, 05:45:29 PM »
The biggest acquisition is not Gerrit Cole, it's Head Trainer Eric Cressey.

I know it hard to top last year's injury plagued season, but prepare for the Yankees to be much healthier this season.

This is a quality hot take, but I disagree.

Regular season yes, Postseason no.  We haven’t really had issues getting to the playoffs, but never really had a postseason caliber rotation which has hurt us.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:49:10 PM by SixFeetDeep »

klaximilian

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2020, 09:08:01 PM »
I didn't expect many or any to agree with me.

Cressey is somewhat of a celebrity my industry and regarded as the best sports performance coach for overhead athletes out there. For crying out loud, he has his own training shoe through New Balance. His resume with professional baseball players is squeaky clean, particularly with pitchers. (Kluber, Scherzer, Hand, Corbin, and Thor just to make a few)

I was actually shocked (and equally stoked) was  he jumped ship from CSP to work in the Bronx. The Yankees had to have thrown a ton of money at him.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2020, 09:20:31 PM »
I didn't expect many or any to agree with me.

Cressey is somewhat of a celebrity my industry and regarded as the best sports performance coach for overhead athletes out there. For crying out loud, he has his own training shoe through New Balance. His resume with professional baseball players is squeaky clean, particularly with pitchers. (Kluber, Scherzer, Hand, Corbin, and Thor just to make a few)

I was actually shocked (and equally stoked) was  he jumped ship from CSP to work in the Bronx. The Yankees had to have thrown a ton of money at him.

I shared similar sentiments when he was hired

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1213271056666038278?s=21

Wow, I actually know who this guy is. Been reading articles on his website for years. He's quite literally one of the best in the business, idk if he's worked for a team before. Has plenty of star clients.

klaximilian

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2020, 09:31:26 PM »
I shared similar sentiments when he was hired

Nice! I'm a little surprised anyone here even knew who he was.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2020, 11:09:58 AM »
I read about him after the hire, and his resume is obviously impressive. I thought the Yankees allowed him to continue to run his company and even still work with other teams' athletes as a condition to his accepting employment?

While I'm with SFD in terms of yeah, Cole is by far the key, imagine if last year's team didn't set a record for IL stints? If Cressey can keep everyone healthy, this team could threaten the wins record.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2020, 11:19:25 AM »
Saw an article yesterday proposing a Yankees/Rockies trade.

Rockies->Yankees
Nolan Arenado

Yankees->Rockies
Frazier
Urshela
Andujar
Deivi Garcia

That's a massive give by the Yanks, especially if they have to take on Arenado's whole contract, but I'd still do it. There's the whole threat of "Will he stay for 2 years then opt out?" But given he's got a full no-trade right now, you'd assume he'd only come here if he actually wanted to.

It would also hurt giving up both Urshela and Andujar, but neither is comparable to Arenado at third, so both would be looking at either 1B or being a backup.

Losing Garcia would suck, but right now, the rotation is Cole, Severino, Tanaka, Paxton and then whoever excels among Happ, Montgomery, and anyone else who gets a shot. Garcia will be in SWB for the near-term at best.

I do hope that if a deal like that happens though, the Rockies at least have to kick in some cash against that contract.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2020, 01:07:06 PM »
Saw an article yesterday proposing a Yankees/Rockies trade.

Rockies->Yankees
Nolan Arenado

Yankees->Rockies
Frazier
Urshela
Andujar
Deivi Garcia

That's a massive give by the Yanks, especially if they have to take on Arenado's whole contract, but I'd still do it. There's the whole threat of "Will he stay for 2 years then opt out?" But given he's got a full no-trade right now, you'd assume he'd only come here if he actually wanted to.

It would also hurt giving up both Urshela and Andujar, but neither is comparable to Arenado at third, so both would be looking at either 1B or being a backup.

Losing Garcia would suck, but right now, the rotation is Cole, Severino, Tanaka, Paxton and then whoever excels among Happ, Montgomery, and anyone else who gets a shot. Garcia will be in SWB for the near-term at best.

I do hope that if a deal like that happens though, the Rockies at least have to kick in some cash against that contract.

I would do that deal, and actually think it’s pretty fair for both sides. I think an NL team would be hesitant to play both Andujar and Frazier in the field, but they would freaking rake at Coors. Gio at 3rd would be a cost effective replacement of Arenado, you could probably hide Andujar at 1B and Frazier in RF and just try to mash every other team to death. It’s not like the Rockies are gonna be winning the pitching/defense battle with their current roster composition anytime soon

Seems like the prospect Gurus aren’t as high on Deivi as we had hoped after his amazing year last year, so in the right deal he is tradeable. My stance on that probably changed after the Cole signing. Right now the only untouchable in the minors is Jasson Dominguez.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:09:51 PM by SixFeetDeep »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2020, 01:15:42 PM »
I would do that deal, and actually think it’s pretty fair for both sides. I think an NL team would be hesitant to play both Andujar and Frazier in the field, but they would freaking rake at Coors. Gio at 3rd would be a cost effective replacement of Arenado, you could probably hide Andujar at 1B and Frazier in RF and just try to mash every other team to death. It’s not like the Rockies are gonna be winning the pitching/defense battle with their current roster composition anytime soon

Seems like the prospect Gurus aren’t as high on Deivi as we had hoped after his amazing year last year, so in the right deal he is tradeable. My stance on that probably changed after the Cole signing. Right now the only untouchable in the minors is Jasson Dominguez.

Agreed on all counts, but especially the bolded.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2020, 02:36:54 PM »
Agreed on all counts, but especially the bolded.

Landed at #53 prospect in baseball on MLB Pipeline new rankings over the weekend. Insane

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2020, 05:57:34 PM »
#Yankees signed former #Mets catcher Josh Thole to a minor league deal. He would get $600,000 if he makes it to the majors. Joins Chris Iannetta and Erik Kratz on minor league pacts behind Sanchez/Higashioka. Thole hasn’t played in majors since 2016.

Quite the trio of scrub minor league catchers

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2020, 08:35:04 AM »
Quite the trio of scrub minor league catchers

I forgot Thole existed.  His suckitude is elite.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: