Author Topic: Offensive Line Rebuild  (Read 20626 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Offensive Line Rebuild
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2019, 10:37:48 PM »
I’ve been complaining about this for the last three years at least. For the love of whatever superior being you believe in, commit to the freaking offense.

Duff said at one point that he would ideally draft an 3-4 OLB every year while running that scheme in order to keep the pipeline stocked. Wonder if he actually stuck to that. Thank God for Jordan Jenkins

Prob should have used that philosophy with OL instead of completely neglecting the position. I thought I was taking crazy pills when it basically happened again this year
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2019, 10:40:27 PM »
I think Duff was of the mentality that it was too hard to develop a college OL into an NFL lineman with all the spread offenses, and it was better to just stock the line with free agents.  I sort of understand, but it didn't work.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2019, 10:45:45 PM »
I think Duff was of the mentality that it was too hard to develop a college OL into an NFL lineman with all the spread offenses, and it was better to just stock the line with free agents.  I sort of understand, but it didn't work.

I could agree with this philosophy, but we didn’t sign anyone of note.

James Carpenter
Spencer Long
Traded for Osemele

Those are Duffs 3 big moves on the OL in his tenure. Carpenter was solid initially, but needed replacing, Long and Osemele could not have gone worse. He had two options for attacking the OL, signing vets or drafting players. He didn’t draft them, but that wouldn’t have been that bad if he had signed anyone of impact. But he didn’t.

Need a new one for a new board...

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2019, 10:47:07 PM »
I could agree with this philosophy, but we didn’t sign anyone of note.

James Carpenter
Spencer Long
Traded for Osemele

Those are Duffs 3 big moves on the OL in his tenure. Carpenter was solid initially, but needed replacing, Long and Osemele could not have gone worse. He had two options for attacking the OL, signing vets or drafting players. He didn’t draft them, but that wouldn’t have been that bad if he had signed anyone of impact. But he didn’t.
Beachum

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2019, 10:51:36 PM »
Beachum

For some reason I thought he was Idziks

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2019, 11:04:06 PM »

Which is why he doesn’t have a job now. Duff was, by most reports, an indecisive hoo-ha. Every other team develops lineman. The patriots have probably had a full 5 man OL picked from UDFA or waivers better than anyone Duff added over the last 5 years. Suck it up and draft some gords.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2019, 11:25:42 PM »
Looking back at how our OL was constructed at previous peaks (2004, 2008) or even the last time it was serviceable (2015) it always seemed to be a 3:2 homegrown:FA ratio.

Without a steady pipeline of homegrown players the OL has been floundering since Brick and Mangold left.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:27:41 PM by Badger »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2019, 11:32:29 PM »
I think we should try to bring back Kelvin Beachum.  He isn't very good but he's a good locker room guy and he can start at either tackle spot.

Ryan Kalil, Brian Winters, Brent Qvale, and Brandon Shell all need to go.  Alex Lewis and Jon Harrison can compete for starting jobs, but are probably better off as quality depth on the interior.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm cool with Tom Compton coming back as depth too.

It's essential that Joe Douglas comes away with at least one starting lineman in free agency and at least one more in the NFL Draft.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2019, 06:15:52 AM »
I’d love another iteration of the 2006 draft.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2019, 07:33:00 AM »

Suck it up and draft some gords.

Are you aware that we can get some gords in the later rounds?  You can always do that.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2019, 08:18:35 AM »

Are you aware that we can get some gords in the later rounds?  You can always do that.

Not if you don't actually draft any in the late rounds

Sir

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2019, 08:29:04 AM »
I think we should try to bring back Kelvin Beachum.  He isn't very good but he's a good locker room guy and he can start at either tackle spot.

Ryan Kalil, Brian Winters, Brent Qvale, and Brandon Shell all need to go.  Alex Lewis and Jon Harrison can compete for starting jobs, but are probably better off as quality depth on the interior.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm cool with Tom Compton coming back as depth too.

It's essential that Joe Douglas comes away with at least one starting lineman in free agency and at least one more in the NFL Draft.

I agree with this line of thinking although I'd hope for 3 new legitimate starting options; 1 free agent and 2 of our first 3 picks.  This line is so so bad....if Darnold wasn't so mobile he'd have been sacked on David Carr levels.  Like you said, bringing back Beachum to play either tackle spot is fine for a year and one of Harrison, Lewis or Compton starting next year is also fine. 

Draft a tackle in round 1 (I know you are high on Becton, I am as well but need to see more) and the best interior guy available in round 2 or 3 and this line would be well improved.  I'm leaning towards a WR in round 2 and an interior in round 3 right now.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2019, 08:44:54 AM »
I agree with this line of thinking although I'd hope for 3 new legitimate starting options; 1 free agent and 2 of our first 3 picks.  This line is so so bad....if Darnold wasn't so mobile he'd have been sacked on David Carr levels.  Like you said, bringing back Beachum to play either tackle spot is fine for a year and one of Harrison, Lewis or Compton starting next year is also fine. 

Draft a tackle in round 1 (I know you are high on Becton, I am as well but need to see more) and the best interior guy available in round 2 or 3 and this line would be well improved.  I'm leaning towards a WR in round 2 and an interior in round 3 right now.

I'd really like to bring in 2 FA's, one Tackle and one Interior guy and resigning Lewis / Harrison/ Compton and then drafting 2 guys in the first 3 rounds.

My top target in FA is Scherff for sure.

Top OL guys to me

Brandon Scherff
Kelvin Beachum
Jack Conklin
Andrus Peat
Connor McGovern

Top draft targets
Andrew Thomas
Tristan Wirfs
Mekhi Becton
Tyler Biadasz

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
Incognito
Oday Aboushi
Ereck Flowers
Ben Ijalana
Dakota Dozier

All Elite FA

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2019, 10:04:41 AM »
I'd love to see Douglas devote both money and multiple picks to OL. If you can acquire 2 linemen in FA and 2 in the draft, I think it's a successful offseason.

And I would bring back both Beachum and Harrison.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tags: