Author Topic: Offensive Line Rebuild  (Read 20624 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: Offensive Line Rebuild
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2019, 11:04:29 AM »
Tristan Wirfs, who seems more likely to be available to us than Andrew Thomas given recent wins, is a right tackle. He may well be able to play left side but it makes a bunch of sense to start a rookie at a position he knows. Jack Conklin, who is going to hit FA and who I have a big crush on, is a right tackle and a bloody good one as long as he stays healthy. We will have plenty of options to rebuild the line this year without trying to crowbar our one starting quality player into a position he hasn't played since his rookie year. I would definitely re-sign him though.

I can definitely get on board with drafting a right tackle high instead, and just keeping Beachum at left.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2019, 02:03:59 PM »
Right tackle and right guard are the biggest holes on the roster
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2019, 03:16:25 PM »
Right tackle and right guard are the biggest holes on the roster

Honest question, assuming Beachum has been re-signed already: If an elite LT is there whenever we pick in R1, do you take him?

Or would you look at other positions (CB, EDGE, WR, C) with that pick/try to trade down, then draft for the right side later?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2019, 03:43:35 PM »
Honest question, assuming Beachum has been re-signed already: If an elite LT is there whenever we pick in R1, do you take him?

Or would you look at other positions (CB, EDGE, WR, C) with that pick/try to trade down, then draft for the right side later?
I think you always look to trade down first unless there's a prospect out there you view as a can't-miss at a position of need.

But I would have no issue drafting an elite LT and figuring things out later, whether that's moving Beachum to the right side, moving the rookie to the right side, or some other combination.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2019, 04:56:45 PM »

If Andrew Thomas is just sitting there on the clock and we have resigned Beachum already, I draft Thomas, don’t think twice about it. If we don’t think Beachum is a feasible RT (that experiment in Pittsburgh went very poorly) then we immediately put him on the block and try and recoup a 2nd +. Beachum would be a commodity as there are ALWAYS teams in need of OL that don’t get their wish on draft night. If we think Beachum will be a reasonable deal, then so will other teams.

Could you imagine drafting Thomas, trading Beachum to a team like Washington and grabbing the Wisconsin kid and still having a 2nd and 2 3rds to draft some damn play makers?
Need a new one for a new board...

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2019, 05:23:55 PM »
Nobody is trading anything for Kelvin Beachum’s broken down derriere
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 05:42:20 PM »
If Andrew Thomas is just sitting there on the clock and we have resigned Beachum already, I draft Thomas, don’t think twice about it. If we don’t think Beachum is a feasible RT (that experiment in Pittsburgh went very poorly) then we immediately put him on the block and try and recoup a 2nd +. Beachum would be a commodity as there are ALWAYS teams in need of OL that don’t get their wish on draft night. If we think Beachum will be a reasonable deal, then so will other teams.

Could you imagine drafting Thomas, trading Beachum to a team like Washington and grabbing the Wisconsin kid and still having a 2nd and 2 3rds to draft some damn play makers?

Has any team ever done a sign and trade that wasn't requested by the player?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2019, 07:55:04 PM »
Has any team ever done a sign and trade that wasn't requested by the player?

Didn’t we do this with Abram Elam in the Sanchez trade?

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2019, 08:18:37 AM »
Based on my rudimentary analysis prior to FA, this should be the best case scenario for us, assuming value meets need

1 - OT
2 - BPA at need position not filled in FA (could be C, CB, Edge at this point)
3 - WR
3 - Interior OL (G or C)
4 - LB
5 - WR
Why do we need a lb

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2019, 10:00:56 AM »
I'm usually big on shitting on Beachum and wanting an upgrade, but credit where its due. You can see the appreciable difference with him in the lineup.

I still can't believe the Redskins would be dumb enough not to franchise Scherff. But this is the Redskins we're talking about.

I think Conklin's almost certain to hit FA given the money the Titans are already spending on their line and the fact that if they really feel like they found their future at quarterback with Tannehill, he's going to need a new deal.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2019, 10:25:55 AM »
Didn’t we do this with Abram Elam in the Sanchez trade?
Not that I recall, but you might be right. Sign and trade generally doesn't make sense in the NFL though - it works in the NBA because players can get better contracts from it, but in the NFL the only party that benefits is the team doing the trading. Free agency makes more sense for the player and the destination team, it's usually a Drew Stanton kind of situation that happens in the NFL.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2019, 12:01:12 PM »
Why do we need a lb

Because we only have one reasonable starting OLB and Jenkins is a FA

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2019, 12:14:46 PM »
Not that I recall, but you might be right. Sign and trade generally doesn't make sense in the NFL though - it works in the NBA because players can get better contracts from it, but in the NFL the only party that benefits is the team doing the trading. Free agency makes more sense for the player and the destination team, it's usually a Drew Stanton kind of situation that happens in the NFL.
I think it works better in the nba because systems are less prevalent.  Lebron james will be effective on every team.  The same can't be said for lamar jackson

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2019, 09:03:19 AM »
We really need Wirfs to declare and not go back to school.  I'm hoping Pauline continues to not know excrement about anything draft related, and his rumor about Wirfs going back to school is incorrect.

I have a soxxx funny feeling we won't be drafting high enough to land A.Thomas, and Wirfs could fall into our lap somewhere between 6 and 10. 
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2019, 10:54:27 AM »
I'm usually big on shitting on Beachum and wanting an upgrade, but credit where its due. You can see the appreciable difference with him in the lineup.

Yeah, I'm back to this.

Andrew Thomas likely won't be around (I think Washington would be insane to pass on him given Trent Williams status, the fact that they just took a quarterback and the near certainty that Chase Young won't be on the board when they select). Wirfs declaring would greatly assist for the obvious reason of adding more depth to the class and moving others down the board, if not outright being a possibility when the Jets pick.

I know we say it every year, but given the depth of certain need positions we're looking for this year (T, WR) I wouldn't mind seeing a trade down, getting some assets and still being put in a position to still grab a guy like Austin Jackson.

If there were other parts of this offensive line I felt comfortable with, or if I felt comfortable bringing Beachum back and letting him sit a year to learn and grow, I'd be all about taking Prince Tega Wanogho if he fell to us in the second. But we don't have that luxury, the wall needs to be built for Sam ASAP.

Tags: