Author Topic: Offensive Line Rebuild  (Read 21376 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: Offensive Line Rebuild
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 04:33:27 PM »
I didn't know a ton about Pittman, but I went to the USC-Utah game earlier this season, and Utah had no answers for Pittman. USC's backup QB would just chuck deep balls up to Pittman, and he would go and get them. Big fan of his. Utah is one of the best defenses in the nation, and their cornerbacks had no chance.

Looking at him, aside from him having the same name as the guy, you'd never know he's the son of former NFL RB Michael Pittman.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 04:36:35 PM »
Flattered by the opposition, who didn't really test them all that much. I still think Lewis is crap, Harrison and Compton are at best backups.

Oakland's front has performed pretty well lately.  Ferrell and Crosby are solid rookie pass rushers.  Maurice Hurst is usually a problem as well.

One of their sacks was taken away on that awful roughing penalty that the officials gifted us. 

This unit we put out there today seems to play much better together than one run by Ryan Kalil and Brian Winters.  We've improved tremendously in pass protection without those two on the field.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 05:11:09 PM »
Oakland's front has performed pretty well lately.  Ferrell and Crosby are solid rookie pass rushers.  Maurice Hurst is usually a problem as well.

One of their sacks was taken away on that awful roughing penalty that the officials gifted us. 

This unit we put out there today seems to play much better together than one run by Ryan Kalil and Brian Winters.  We've improved tremendously in pass protection without those two on the field.

Beachum's return was the catalyst for the improvement, he is a huge upgrade on Edoga at LT. Frankly I think MBGreen would be a huge improvement on Edoga, who is trash no matter which side he plays. He might improve but I have my doubts. Harrison isn't very good either, the pressure on Sam today was mostly coming up the middle. This OL is still bad and a better defense would have caused more problems.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 05:17:06 PM »
Beachum's return was the catalyst for the improvement, he is a huge upgrade on Edoga at LT. Frankly I think MBGreen would be a huge improvement on Edoga, who is trash no matter which side he plays. He might improve but I have my doubts. Harrison isn't very good either, the pressure on Sam today was mostly coming up the middle. This OL is still bad and a better defense would have caused more problems.

The problem on the interior was mostly Tom Compton, who got away with multiple holding calls.

You can't blame the talent around Brian Winters for his sucking over multiple seasons and continue to blame Jon Harrison for our struggles when he's playing next to our third and fourth string guards.

Lewis is not good either, but he's valuable as depth.  I'm be OK with him starting in 2020, same with Harrison.  We have to upgrade right guard and right tackle more than any position on the roster.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 10:24:34 AM »
The problem on the interior was mostly Tom Compton, who got away with multiple holding calls.

You can't blame the talent around Brian Winters for his sucking over multiple seasons and continue to blame Jon Harrison for our struggles when he's playing next to our third and fourth string guards.

Lewis is not good either, but he's valuable as depth.  I'm be OK with him starting in 2020, same with Harrison.  We have to upgrade right guard and right tackle more than any position on the roster.

This is exactly how I feel.

I think Harrison is okay. He definitely has a good rapport with Darnold, and I don't think that can be overstated. Long and Kalil literally could not even cleanly snap the ball to him.

I don't think Beachum is a pro-bowler, but this team could do a lot worse at LT.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 02:07:10 PM »
Michael Pittman will be a steal...if he doesn't sneak into the first round.

It's looking more and more likely that we'll be picking outside of the top ten.  Alabama's Alex Leatherwood and Jedrick Wills are more realistic targets for us. 

I do think that Joe Douglas will sign a couple new OL starters in FA too.
What would be your sharp draft eye take on this--too OL heavy?  (Jets currently hold picks 10, 41, 67 and 76):

1st: Jedrick Wills
2nd:  (pipe dream: Shaun Wade, CB, OSU) other possibles: Tee Higgins/Michael Pittman WR or AJ Terrell CB
3rd: Trey Smith, OG 
3rd: Lloyd Cushenberry, C
FA: Brandon Shereff, OG

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 07:10:45 PM »
What would be your sharp draft eye take on this--too OL heavy?  (Jets currently hold picks 10, 41, 67 and 76):

1st: Jedrick Wills
2nd:  (pipe dream: Shaun Wade, CB, OSU) other possibles: Tee Higgins/Michael Pittman WR or AJ Terrell CB
3rd: Trey Smith, OG 
3rd: Lloyd Cushenberry, C
FA: Brandon Shereff, OG

I see Wills as more of a guard, but he could certainly play right tackle.  Alex Leatherwood is the Alabama OT that I'm intrigued by.  Super bright kid off the field and is really athletic.

Shaun Wade is an awesome chess piece, but it appears we've found a really good nickel corner in Brian Poole. 

Trey Smith is the best OL in this class not named Andrew Thomas, but the blood clot stuff scares the hell out of me. 

Scherff should be one of our top targets. 

That draft would be a nice starting point.  If we don't come out of this draft with two wide receivers, Douglas has failed.  This is the best WR class in at least 20 years.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 07:53:01 PM »
I see Wills as more of a guard, but he could certainly play right tackle.  Alex Leatherwood is the Alabama OT that I'm intrigued by.  Super bright kid off the field and is really athletic.

Shaun Wade is an awesome chess piece, but it appears we've found a really good nickel corner in Brian Poole. 

Trey Smith is the best OL in this class not named Andrew Thomas, but the blood clot stuff scares the hell out of me. 

That draft would be a nice starting point.  If we don't come out of this draft with two wide receivers, Douglas has failed.  This is the best WR class in at least 20 years.

Based on my rudimentary analysis prior to FA, this should be the best case scenario for us, assuming value meets need

1 - OT
2 - BPA at need position not filled in FA (could be C, CB, Edge at this point)
3 - WR
3 - Interior OL (G or C)
4 - LB
5 - WR
Need a new one for a new board...

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2019, 10:39:23 PM »

I'm still quite keen on the idea of Conklin as well, when he's healthy he's a beast. If we could get both in FA we'd be in awesome shape for the draft.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 08:40:16 AM »
Last year, it was floated that Beachum could move over to the right side. What if they brought him back, drafted a tackle and put him on the right to start, then swapped them when the kid was ready? Would that be a viable plan?

I figure Beachum shouldn't be too expensive to return, and he seems to be a guy Gase and the rest of his unit respect.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 08:49:42 AM »
Last year, it was floated that Beachum could move over to the right side. What if they brought him back, drafted a tackle and put him on the right to start, then swapped them when the kid was ready? Would that be a viable plan?

I figure Beachum shouldn't be too expensive to return, and he seems to be a guy Gase and the rest of his unit respect.

He's serviceable on the left, but I'm not sure I'd want to see what he's like playing on a side he's not used to. I remember a lineman, maybe Joe Thomas, being asked a while back what it was like switching sides as a tackle. He described it as like trying to wipe your derriere with the wrong hand - you can do it, but it's more difficult and carries an increased possibility of making a mess.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 08:58:13 AM »
He's serviceable on the left, but I'm not sure I'd want to see what he's like playing on a side he's not used to. I remember a lineman, maybe Joe Thomas, being asked a while back what it was like switching sides as a tackle. He described it as like trying to wipe your derriere with the wrong hand - you can do it, but it's more difficult and carries an increased possibility of making a mess.

We disagree a bit on him because I think he's a bit better than serviceable. I assume there is a curve when changing sides, but I assume it's easier for a LT to move right than the other way around.

I don't know if it would be a permanent solution, but it would be nice to reduce the number of needs in the draft, so we can do things like draft a WR like Heismanberg said.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 10:20:27 AM »
We disagree a bit on him because I think he's a bit better than serviceable. I assume there is a curve when changing sides, but I assume it's easier for a LT to move right than the other way around.

I don't know if it would be a permanent solution, but it would be nice to reduce the number of needs in the draft, so we can do things like draft a WR like Heismanberg said.

I think Beachum is fine, his return from injury made a huge difference to the quality of our line play and thus to Sam's performance. I'd just rather not be trying to ask players to operate outside their strengths, it makes more sense to just draft someone to play RT.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2019, 10:34:42 AM »
I think Beachum is fine, his return from injury made a huge difference to the quality of our line play and thus to Sam's performance. I'd just rather not be trying to ask players to operate outside their strengths, it makes more sense to just draft someone to play RT.

My thought process was: draft a big upgrade at LT as one of the cornerstones of the OL rebuild. Since Beachum has proven to be a capable starter and leader, keep him around. That means one less "need" in the upcoming draft, which leaves a pick open for a wide receiver or corner or EDGE.

Obviously, Rome wasn't built in a day, but I'd like to give Sam the best line possible, while not ignoring the other big needs around the roster.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2019, 10:53:14 AM »
My thought process was: draft a big upgrade at LT as one of the cornerstones of the OL rebuild. Since Beachum has proven to be a capable starter and leader, keep him around. That means one less "need" in the upcoming draft, which leaves a pick open for a wide receiver or corner or EDGE.

Obviously, Rome wasn't built in a day, but I'd like to give Sam the best line possible, while not ignoring the other big needs around the roster.

Tristan Wirfs, who seems more likely to be available to us than Andrew Thomas given recent wins, is a right tackle. He may well be able to play left side but it makes a bunch of sense to start a rookie at a position he knows. Jack Conklin, who is going to hit FA and who I have a big crush on, is a right tackle and a bloody good one as long as he stays healthy. We will have plenty of options to rebuild the line this year without trying to crowbar our one starting quality player into a position he hasn't played since his rookie year. I would definitely re-sign him though.

Tags: