Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 65964 times)

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
rex is probably my favorite jet coach of all time and ill always be thankful of what he was able to do those 2 seasons. it's just one of those things that ran its course and it was time for him to go. all good things come to an end and it's usually sooner rather than later for this team, and that's what happened with rex. i do think he was a better coach than some of the hires we've had since his departure but there is no point going down that road.

i'm happy for those 2 years, he definitely was happy for them, i think he's happy now, and he's still a jet fan. those are all good things and nothing really needs to change about any of this

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
rex is probably my favorite jet coach of all time and ill always be thankful of what he was able to do those 2 seasons. it's just one of those things that ran its course and it was time for him to go. all good things come to an end and it's usually sooner rather than later for this team, and that's what happened with rex. i do think he was a better coach than some of the hires we've had since his departure but there is no point going down that road.

i'm happy for those 2 years, he definitely was happy for them, i think he's happy now, and he's still a jet fan. those are all good things and nothing really needs to change about any of this

This is a much more sane take on Rex, nobody stays forever. Just funny to see the fire everyone crowd on their way to 0-16 still turning their noses up at playoff wins ten years later. 
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau

Don't get me wrong, those were very fun seasons. He just got figured out early and never fully developed as a head coach. He seemed to always view the offense as someone else's job.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Don't get me wrong, those were very fun seasons. He just got figured out early and never fully developed as a head coach. He seemed to always view the offense as someone else's job.

.... which would have been fine if "someone else" had meant someone more talented than Brian Schottenheimer, who as I have said more than once is Adam Gase lite. Or more accurately, Adam Gase is Brian Schottenheimer concentrated.

If Schotty had had an elite QB early in his career he would have also ended up in a head coaching job he was wildly unsuited to.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
.... which would have been fine if "someone else" had meant someone more talented than Brian Schottenheimer, who as I have said more than once is Adam Gase lite. Or more accurately, Adam Gase is Brian Schottenheimer concentrated.

If Schotty had had an elite QB early in his career he would have also ended up in a head coaching job he was wildly unsuited to.

lol i think this was my response a few weeks ago where somebody threw out schotty's name as a HC candidate and i think i said something like 'why would we go from one quasi-retard to another', but that's what going from gase to schotty would be

i think schotty would certainly be a better coach than gase, but that's not an endorsement of him. it's an indictment of how poor a coach/person gase is

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau

The part that I disagree with here is that the head coach needs to own the whole team. Rex just put someone else in charge and then fucked off to play with the defense again.

The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

Rex had to go....it was true 6 years ago, it's true now.

And we've been worse off since then so it still hasn't paid off.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau

And we've been worse off since then so it still hasn't paid off.

Both statements are correct and an indictment on ownership and the front office's failure to put the right people on the field and on the sidelines.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau

If memory serves Schottenheimer had the Bills job and turned it down because he felt a better opportunity would come along the next year. Unfortunately for both parties he never took the job

By that I mean him and us. The bills would have been worse off, likely would have not ended up with the McDermott/Allen combo they have now. Schotty would have gotten his one shot and we would obviously have been better than the Bills for that stretch of time
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 06:17:13 PM by Libero_2 »
Need a new one for a new board...

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau

100% agree.  Love Rex. Loved those years. Ran its course. I dont think Rex is the type of coach who can be in one place for a decade.

Bowles was a bad coach for us. Gase is worse. Rex is better than both. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't have been let go when he was.

They probably should have just kept Tanny and Rex and then dumped both together. But Tanny butchered the offseason so badly in 2011 that he earned his firing as well.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
Those first two years of Rex's tenure were by far and away the best years of Jets football in my entire life. Close second was the Parcells year specifically 1998.

My track record will show, I rarely get opinionated on the head coaches. Rex's time was up, Bowles was meh, but I'd take either over this freaking derriere clown.

I hate Gase more than any public "sports figure" associated with any of the teams I've ever rooted for. EVER.

He is a terrible head coach and a worse human being. freak HIM TO HELL

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath

I hate Gase more than any public "sports figure" associated with any of the teams I've ever rooted for. EVER.

Same, probably. Billy King and Idzik are up there too for me.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Those first two years of Rex's tenure were by far and away the best years of Jets football in my entire life. Close second was the Parcells year specifically 1998.

My track record will show, I rarely get opinionated on the head coaches. Rex's time was up, Bowles was meh, but I'd take either over this freaking derriere clown.

He is a terrible head coach and a worse human being. freak HIM TO HELL

I said when the Jets hired Gase that they were doing everything they could to convince me to not be a fan and Gase and the Jets have not backed away from that.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
I still think the 2005 team was the hardest to watch

Going back through this thread is fun. How do they stack up now?

Subquestion: Imagine Gase with Brooks Bollinger and Vinny's husk. Where does that put you? (Anybody feel free to answer)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
Going back through this thread is fun. How do they stack up now?

Subquestion: Imagine Gase with Brooks Bollinger and Vinny's husk. Where does that put you? (Anybody feel free to answer)
Basically where we were during the mono weeks last year.

Tags: