Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 63679 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #270 on: December 12, 2019, 05:25:13 PM »
You can't state your own case without mischaracterizing others. You gave up in Week 2, that's not our problem.
I gave him a chance...he failed.

You’re still living in a fantasy that the Jets are in good hands.  That takes some next-level ignorance to pull off.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #271 on: December 12, 2019, 05:43:38 PM »
I don't think anyone disputes that.

What we are pissed about is HOW bad we have looked. In a season where 80% of the AFC is a complete dumpster fire, and there were more 2 wins and less teams ever by week 10, we were as bad as any of them. We made NFL HISTORY for futility in being the first team to EVER lose to multiple 0-7 or worse teams. We did that in part because we are talentless, but in part because the coaching is not good enough to win. There are times (opening drives) where this team looks prepared and pounces on teams. But as our opponents make adjustments we are simply spinning our gears and thats putting it mildly.

In addition, the number of times we have been completely embarrassed/non-competitive this season is very high. Both Patriots games, the Eagles, the Bengals (an 0-11 team), the Browns just off the top of my head. Thats 5 of our 8 losses we weren't even competitive in, and frankly I think one could argue a couple of our wins we didn't even realize deserve (Dolphins).

Thats why we are pissed, we have a creampuff back of the schedule and honestly can't even compete on a field with a terrible AFC. Gase isn't getting it done, and I don't want to watch him continue to freak up.

At what point has he had enough leash to warrant a change? 16 games? 18? 24? 32? 48? Because I want to know how long I need to wait before I can at least pretend to believe we have a shot to win for real.

Why are the Jets better than any of these other bad teams in the AFC? We were supposed to be a .500 team in Vegas - our over/under was 7.5 wins. And that was before our entire team got injured. And you talk about the creampuff back of the schedule - we went 4-2 in those games (and we were only favored in 3 of those games).

I don't understand how you agree the Jets are painfully injured, so much to the point that Bill Belichick wouldn't have a winning record with this team, but you still think Gase has done such a bad job going 5-8 that you think he must be fired after one season. People complain that we lost to the Bengals. Do you want to give back the Cowboys/Raiders wins? Not that either of those teams are worldbeaters, but both teams are still better than the Jets on paper. People complain that we struggle after good opening drives. Would it be better if we sucked on the opening drive and did better later in the game?

Jets fans are just frustrated we've sucked for a decade. I'm frustrated, too. And if Gase gets axed, I won't shed a tear. But fans are holding him to an unfair standard.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #272 on: December 12, 2019, 05:45:09 PM »
I gave him a chance...he failed.
Glad you gave him a game.

You’re still living in a fantasy that the Jets are in good hands.  That takes some next-level ignorance to pull off.
It must be so easy to win arguments when you argue against ridiculous points that nobody is making.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #273 on: December 12, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »
Glad you gave him a game.
It must be so easy to win arguments when you argue against ridiculous points that nobody is making.
I cut bait after the loss to philly

I win all the arguments.  And you should probably read some of the crap IS has spewed on this board over the years before commenting....
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 05:50:05 PM by MBGreen »
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #274 on: December 12, 2019, 05:48:19 PM »
I cut bait after the loss to philly
Sorry, you gave him one game with an NFL quarterback. My bad.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #275 on: December 12, 2019, 05:51:25 PM »
Sorry, you gave him one game with an NFL quarterback. My bad.
Oh right...Luke Falk was at fault. Where have we heard this excrement before?

Find a new narrative. This one was taken.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #276 on: December 12, 2019, 05:54:30 PM »
Oh right...Luke Falk was at fault. Where have we heard this excrement before?

Find a new narrative. This one was taken.
I guess you just can't argue with stupid. I shouldn't even try.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #277 on: December 12, 2019, 05:58:34 PM »
I guess you just can't argue with stupid. I shouldn't even try.
You had to resort to personal attacks, not sure you stood a chance anyway.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #278 on: December 12, 2019, 06:09:52 PM »
You had to resort to personal attacks, not sure you stood a chance anyway.
Giving up on a coach after 4 games, 3 of which coming with a backup QB, is stupid. Not personal, just stating facts. I can't argue against stupid arguments when you're just going to double down on them.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #279 on: December 12, 2019, 06:24:17 PM »
Giving up on a coach after 4 games, 3 of which coming with a backup QB, is stupid. Not personal, just stating facts. I can't argue against stupid arguments when you're just going to double down on them.
I’m not giving up on a coach after 4 games. His tenure in Miami is still fresh and quite relevant considering what we’ve seen from him thus far. For some reason, you guys are quick to dismiss this.  It was prevalent when Rex went to Buffalo, it’s prevalent here whether you guys accept it or not.  Our roster is getting destroyed with injuries, that was happening in Miami during his entire time there. Coincidence? Probably not. If you don’t believe me...compare the amount of players he had on the IR in Miami with the amount in NY.

So before you spout off about what’s factual and what isn’t....maybe take Gase’s entire body of work into account instead of cherry-picking this season . You know...since his time in Miami was ONLY last season.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #280 on: December 12, 2019, 06:29:36 PM »
So before you spout off about what’s factual and what isn’t....maybe take Gase’s entire body of work into account instead of cherry-picking this season . You know...since his time in Miami was ONLY last season.
Sorry that I'm "cherry-picking" this season. You know, the only season he has coached the Jets. Which is really all I care about.

You do have a point about the injuries. I think injuries are more luck than anything else, but clearly Gase has had awful injury luck. It isn't Gase's fault that Sam was sick for the first month of the season and that Tannehill tore his ACL in Miami. But there may be something to his coaching that lends to more injuries. I don't know that though.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #281 on: December 12, 2019, 06:35:33 PM »
Sorry that I'm "cherry-picking" this season. You know, the only season he has coached the Jets. Which is really all I care about.

You do have a point about the injuries. I think injuries are more luck than anything else, but clearly Gase has had awful injury luck. It isn't Gase's fault that Sam was sick for the first month of the season and that Tannehill tore his ACL in Miami. But there may be something to his coaching that lends to more injuries. I don't know that though.
Sorry, the last 3 seasons count towards his body of work. He didn’t just magically change his coaching tendencies and personality because he walked thru the doors at florham park days after he left Miami. I know you want to believe he did...

Injury luck?  C’mon dude...open your eyes.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #282 on: December 12, 2019, 07:42:04 PM »
That’s probably ballgame

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #283 on: December 12, 2019, 07:49:10 PM »
Why are the Jets better than any of these other bad teams in the AFC? We were supposed to be a .500 team in Vegas - our over/under was 7.5 wins. And that was before our entire team got injured. And you talk about the creampuff back of the schedule - we went 4-2 in those games (and we were only favored in 3 of those games).

I don't understand how you agree the Jets are painfully injured, so much to the point that Bill Belichick wouldn't have a winning record with this team, but you still think Gase has done such a bad job going 5-8 that you think he must be fired after one season. People complain that we lost to the Bengals. Do you want to give back the Cowboys/Raiders wins? Not that either of those teams are worldbeaters, but both teams are still better than the Jets on paper. People complain that we struggle after good opening drives. Would it be better if we sucked on the opening drive and did better later in the game?

Jets fans are just frustrated we've sucked for a decade. I'm frustrated, too. And if Gase gets axed, I won't shed a tear. But fans are holding him to an unfair standard.

It’s not that we have lost it is HOW we are losing. It’s not that we are getting beat in our areas of deficit (lack of LBs or CBS leading to us giving up 30 points a game), it’s that we are largely non competitive in games. While tonight isn’t over yet, would anyone be surprised for us to get our asses handed to us again tonight?

I’m fine losing, we lack talent and we lack quality schemes to get our guys open easily for Sam to throw to. But continuing to do the same thing (keeping a guy who has made so many mistakes and has either been incapable of using a top notch weapon in Bell, or (worse) intentionally misused Le’Veon Bell. These things show me he isn’t the right guy for the job of leading a franchise to a championship. As such that’s why I want him out, because I’m tired of losing and I don’t want to be the team that’s gone the longest without a postseason trip. We are getting dangerously close to that point.

If you still have faith in Gases ability that’s great. I don’t and I want to replace him sooner rather than later because I don’t want to waste any more time. I still want to know how long are you willing to wait to decide enough is enough (this can be a general idea for a new coach or Gase specific). Is it 20 games? 40? Zero playoff appearances in 4 seasons? What would it take for you to decide we need to move on?

I agree stability is a great thing. But stable with idiots on charge isn’t really helpful, it won’t get us out of the basement. I’d rather go back to the unknown than keep someone I have lost faith in

Need a new one for a new board...

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #284 on: December 12, 2019, 07:49:25 PM »
Where the Gase supporters at?

Tags: