Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 63708 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2019, 11:49:18 AM »
Exactly. It is just hard to take posts seriously when they say Gase is worse than Kotite.

I dont care if they fire Gase after the season but people blame every one of the issues for this team on Gase and it is far deeper than that

You keep repeating this straw man argument.

Everyone who wants to fire him because he's an awful coach also says this roster is terrible. Again, both things are mutually exclusive and can be (are) true.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #181 on: December 10, 2019, 11:53:04 AM »
Maybe a bit more than that, I assume that he's the one designing the plays as well. I think he's probably a QB coach / passing game co-ordinator who understands the game on a conceptual level, but hasn't ever figured out how to react to what the defense is doing. It would explain why our opening drive often looks good, and why on occasion we can look really good for most or all of a game - the opening drive is scripted and the defense is still feeling out what we're doing, and sometimes defenses just don't react well. And I know you can't read too much into TV images of a coach's demeanour, but it would also explain why literally every single sideline shot of Gase during a game is head down in a playbook. Maybe he honestly believes the answer to things not working is for the players to execute his plays better rather than to change the plays up.

I mean, that's literally what he says in his postgame press conferences after every single loss.

I mentioned it yesterday, the only times he's "taken blame" for not making good play calls has been after wins. Really bold of the guy to take a share of the blame when no one is pissed off they lost. And even then, he still said they could've executed better.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #182 on: December 10, 2019, 12:53:59 PM »
You keep repeating this straw man argument.

Everyone who wants to fire him because he's an awful coach also says this roster is terrible. Again, both things are mutually exclusive and can be (are) true.

So he's a terrible coach who's managed to go .500 with a terrible roster when he has his starting quarterback?

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2019, 01:19:15 PM »
So he's a terrible coach who's managed to go .500 with a terrible roster when he has his starting quarterback?

So you think Adam Gase won the Miami game? Not Sam Darnold somehow connecting with Vyncint Smith? Nor thanks to a gift by replay officials that got them an overturn on an uncalled DPI? Nor because Greg Williams prepared a mediocre defense to hold a great red zone offense to nothing but field goals?

It really comes down to whether you believe his teams win because of him or in spite of him. Needless to say, I fall into the latter category.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #184 on: December 10, 2019, 01:44:02 PM »
So you think Adam Gase won the Miami game? Not Sam Darnold somehow connecting with Vyncint Smith? Nor thanks to a gift by replay officials that got them an overturn on an uncalled DPI? Nor because Greg Williams prepared a mediocre defense to hold a great red zone offense to nothing but field goals?

It really comes down to whether you believe his teams win because of him or in spite of him. Needless to say, I fall into the latter category.

I'm not going to classify that as a gift considering the calls that went against the Jets, specifically the ridiculous roughing the passer call on Shep and the holding call on the interception. Not to mention the fact that the play in question actually was actually pass interference.

By virtue of being the head coach, it goes as a win on his record, does it not? If you can acknowledge that the talent on this team is wanting, or "terrible" as you call it (and I agree, certain position groups you can argue are the worst in the league), then surely a guy who can put up a .500 record with said terrible talent can't be that bad a head coach.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #185 on: December 10, 2019, 02:04:25 PM »
I'm not going to classify that as a gift considering the calls that went against the Jets, specifically the ridiculous roughing the passer call on Shep and the holding call on the interception. Not to mention the fact that the play in question actually was actually pass interference.

By virtue of being the head coach, it goes as a win on his record, does it not? If you can acknowledge that the talent on this team is wanting, or "terrible" as you call it (and I agree, certain position groups you can argue are the worst in the league), then surely a guy who can put up a .500 record with said terrible talent can't be that bad a head coach.

Mike Tomlin is in striking distance of a playoff spot with a 3rd string QB and other injuries to his offense.  Instead of making excuses, he's making half time adjustments to win games.

Tomlin = a good HC

Gase = a fraud
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 02:09:23 PM by MBGreen »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #186 on: December 10, 2019, 02:08:41 PM »
Mike Tomlin is in striking distance of a playoff spot with a 3rd string QB and other injuries to his offense.  Instead of making excuses, he's making half time adjustments to win games. 

Tomlin = a good HC

Gase = a fraud

THIS

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #187 on: December 10, 2019, 02:09:17 PM »

Tomlin = a good HC

Gase = a fraud

He's also been there long time and they have a system in place. That's what happens when you don't fire the coach every year.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #188 on: December 10, 2019, 02:10:34 PM »
He's also been there long time and they have a system in place. That's what happens when you don't fire the coach every year.

He also won a Super Bowl in his 2nd year as a HC....and made it to the playoffs in his rookie HC year.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2019, 02:18:28 PM »

I forgot. Good plays are because Darnold is a stud. Bad plays are because Gase sucks.

Tomlin = a good HC

Gase = a fraud
The Steelets have a very good OL and an elite defense. No doubt Tomlin has fone a great job but the Steelers are very talented outside QB.

I don't love Gaee but saying good plays are because Darnold is good and bad plays is because Gase is bad is impossible to argue against. You could also argue that if Darnold hit any number of an open receivers he missed, we would have won by 2 touchdowns. But I know Darnold missing throws is all on Gase.

Rosetta Stoned

• Laveranues Coles
  • Holy freaking excrement
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2019, 02:20:22 PM »
I forgot. Good plays are because Darnold is a stud. Bad plays are because Gase sucks.The Steelets have a very good OL and an elite defense. No doubt Tomlin has fone a great job but the Steelers are very talented outside QB.

I don't love Gaee but saying good plays are because Darnold is good and bad plays is because Gase is bad is impossible to argue against. You could also argue that if Darnold hit any number of an open receivers he missed, we would have won by 2 touchdowns. But I know Darnold missing throws is all on Gase.

Get on with the times. Everything is on Gase.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2019, 02:29:25 PM »

You're right. His impeccable pedigree, history and offensive mind are on par with Bill Walsh.  Reward that piece of teflon with a 10 year extension.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2019, 02:30:29 PM »
You're right. His impeccable pedigree, history and offensive mind are on par with Bill Walsh.  Reward that piece of teflon with a 10 year extension.
Good job arguing against nobody. Well done

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2019, 02:38:16 PM »

Did we sign him yet?  We're wasting time.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2019, 03:15:09 PM »
I forgot. Good plays are because Darnold is a stud. Bad plays are because Gase sucks.The Steelets have a very good OL and an elite defense. No doubt Tomlin has fone a great job but the Steelers are very talented outside QB.

I think the vast majority of playcalls are atrocious all game long. I also think Darnold keeps making salads out of the chicken excrement Gase provides him. It's not a "Gase is responsible for the bad plays, and Darnold is responsible for the good ones." It's "Gase keeps calling excrement plays and Darnold has the talent to make things happen."

See next quote:

Tags: