Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 63648 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2019, 01:46:10 PM »
Gase isnt even worse than Bowles. Maybe he will be but he certainly isnt yet.

I know nobody wants to hear it but I dont think our 5-8 record is underachieving given our talent level.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2019, 01:52:13 PM »
There's issuing a factual criticism of the guy because there are things he does that makes one scratch their head, and then there's just idiotic hyperbole thats being said out of no other interest than wanting to be right.

This is absurd on so many levels.

Darnold's completing passes at a 63 percent clip with a positive td to int ratio despite not having a true number 1 receiver or any semblance of an offensive line, but sure he's ruined.

He played at a similar level during the last four games of 2018 with a guy who was roaming Mongolia before becoming our OC, so his performance already trending upward.  Sam's performance this year would be the same if not better with any other HC in the league.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2019, 01:52:58 PM »
We lost to a WINLESS team and looked freaking terrible in doing so. You don't want to put any of the onus on him?
The Jets are a bad team with all our injuries. That was a bad loss but this team isn't talented enough to expect to win road games against anyone consistently.

Sorry Gase only went 4-1 instead of 5-0 with this team.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2019, 01:53:48 PM »
I’m no fan of Gase, never was, but I just don’t have enough information to judge him accurately. This has been a really stupid season with half our team on IR and Sam getting freaking mono of all things. We’ve put up some absolutely excrement tier performances and had some nice games as well. If he’s fired at the end of the year I’ll completely understand but if he stays on for next season I don’t think it’s exactly wrong either.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2019, 01:58:43 PM »
The Jets are a bad team with all our injuries. That was a bad loss but this team isn't talented enough to expect to win road games against anyone consistently.

Sorry Gase only went 4-1 instead of 5-0 with this team.

C'mon man, we looked noncompetitive in that game.  You want to give him a free pass when Sam was out, fine.
But, the offense can't look that inept when you have your starting QB and just beat Oakland. 

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2019, 02:00:54 PM »
I’m no fan of Gase, never was, but I just don’t have enough information to judge him accurately. This has been a really stupid season with half our team on IR and Sam getting freaking mono of all things. We’ve put up some absolutely excrement tier performances and had some nice games as well. If he’s fired at the end of the year I’ll completely understand but if he stays on for next season I don’t think it’s exactly wrong either.

Y U NO HATE GASE MOAR?

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2019, 02:01:45 PM »
C'mon man, we looked noncompetitive in that game.  You want to give him a free pass when Sam was out, fine.
But, the offense can't look that inept when you have your starting QB and just beat Oakland. 

So if we lost to Oakland and beat Cincinnati, you would be okay?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2019, 02:02:29 PM »
I hate the fact we're gonna burn another season because our owner is more concerned with saving face over a dumb hire....right after we wasted 3 seasons with Bowles.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2019, 02:03:01 PM »
So if we lost to Oakland and beat Cincinnati, you would be okay?

it would've made more sense
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2019, 03:54:49 PM »
We lost to a WINLESS team and looked freaking terrible in doing so. You don't want to put any of the onus on him?
Atcherly we lost to two winless teams.

I'm not joining in the hyperbole about where he sits in the extensive pantheon of excrement Jets coaches, but the playcalling in the second half yesterday was absolutely rotten. He doesn't seem to understand the game that's actually happening on the field, only the one that he has written down in his book. I think he spends the week watching video and preparing for the game he thinks he's going to see, then sticks to that plan regardless of what actually happens on gameday.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
  • JO Pictionary Champion 2022
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2019, 06:02:49 PM »
He doesn't seem to understand the game that's actually happening on the field, only the one that he has written down in his book.
I think he spends the week watching video and preparing for the game he thinks he's going to see, then sticks to that plan regardless of what actually happens on gameday.
Meaning he's a glorified quality control coach with no true feel for the game?  I wouldn't disagree.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2019, 06:46:31 PM »
Atcherly we lost to two winless teams.

I'm not joining in the hyperbole about where he sits in the extensive pantheon of excrement Jets coaches, but the playcalling in the second half yesterday was absolutely rotten. He doesn't seem to understand the game that's actually happening on the field, only the one that he has written down in his book. I think he spends the week watching video and preparing for the game he thinks he's going to see, then sticks to that plan regardless of what actually happens on gameday.

Spot on
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
Meaning he's a glorified quality control coach with no true feel for the game?  I wouldn't disagree.

Maybe a bit more than that, I assume that he's the one designing the plays as well. I think he's probably a QB coach / passing game co-ordinator who understands the game on a conceptual level, but hasn't ever figured out how to react to what the defense is doing. It would explain why our opening drive often looks good, and why on occasion we can look really good for most or all of a game - the opening drive is scripted and the defense is still feeling out what we're doing, and sometimes defenses just don't react well. And I know you can't read too much into TV images of a coach's demeanour, but it would also explain why literally every single sideline shot of Gase during a game is head down in a playbook. Maybe he honestly believes the answer to things not working is for the players to execute his plays better rather than to change the plays up.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #178 on: December 10, 2019, 02:09:12 AM »
Maybe a bit more than that, I assume that he's the one designing the plays as well. I think he's probably a QB coach / passing game co-ordinator who understands the game on a conceptual level, but hasn't ever figured out how to react to what the defense is doing. It would explain why our opening drive often looks good, and why on occasion we can look really good for most or all of a game - the opening drive is scripted and the defense is still feeling out what we're doing, and sometimes defenses just don't react well. And I know you can't read too much into TV images of a coach's demeanour, but it would also explain why literally every single sideline shot of Gase during a game is head down in a playbook. Maybe he honestly believes the answer to things not working is for the players to execute his plays better rather than to change the plays up.
I think the biggest reason for our inconsistency is our offensive line. I feel we have moved the ball well when we haven't had penalties, sacks and drops. 2 of the 3 of those are directly on the OL. And when we end up off script, we've been dead. Lately, we actually have converted a few 3rd and longs but that is still rare. The success on opening drives I think is largely because we have a brand new offense and being able to have reps on the practice squad makes them better at executing it. And part of it is fluky.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2019, 11:14:21 AM »
Way too early for any of these comparisons, guy is 5-8 here. So far he's closer to Bruce Coslet than anyone.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Tags: