Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 65230 times)

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2019, 06:35:37 PM »
Everything has to be black and white. There is no room for nuance.

Gase hasnt done a good job. He was dealt an unwinnable hand with Falk and the OL but it is still embarrassing how they played in that stretch. We lost to 2 awful teams in Miami and Cincy. He seems like a weird dude. But hes here, and he isnt that bad. The only time he had a healthy QB, he made the playoffs.

And excrement, as soon as he got here, he recognized arguably our biggest issue - Maccagnan - and he helped correct it. Next year, Douglas will give him a new roster presumably, and it sill be on Gase to make it work.

The biggest issues with this team are personnel, largely due to injuries. No idea how people can watch yesterday's game and conclude the biggest reason we lost was due to the coaching.

His track record as a head coach is in a down hill trajectory. His claim to fame is cleaning Manning's jock as he put up record numbers.

If you want a guru, look at Williams. Crazy Gregg has done an amazing job with the injuries on D.

The same CANNOT be said about Gase and his offense...he hasn't done excrement.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2019, 06:45:11 PM »
Do you believe Gase can lead this team to a Super bowl? Serious question (obviously not this year)

I don’t want to hear about nuances or black/white....straight up, you think he can get us to the championship game?

This should ALWAYS be the question. If everything breaks right, can Gase out coach / scheme opponents in the playoffs to win it all? If the answer is "yes," then he needs to stick around, if it's "maybe" then he should stick around awhile until you feel confident. If the answer is "I don't think so" or "no" then he should be removed of his duties.

For me, considering he can't out game plan an 0-7 Dolphins team where management is trying to tank, and an 0-11 Bengals team, he gets absolutely murdered by the Patriots (with Sam) and has been completely non-competitive in more games than he has had us competing in. He was flat as a pancake coming out of a bye week, hell he even decided to keep Falk as his guy during the bye, and didn't bring anyone else in, despite the fact he could have at least tried. Gase has failed to utilize one of the best RBs of the generation. Yes he has had injuries to his offense, but his offense has failed to score 10 points in 30% of the games this year, and failed to score more than 16 points in 67% of games. In several of those games we also had defensive TDs.

So for me, Gase, and his performance this season receives the "No" vote on his able to put his team in position to succeed in the postseason. In my eyes, unless he is the most talented team in the bracket, I would not expect them to have a real shot to advance to even a AFCCG let alone win it all. For that reason, I want him out of here sooner rather than later.
Need a new one for a new board...

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2019, 06:58:45 PM »
Gase has failed to utilize one of the best RBs of the generation.

Superlative aside, I don't understand how this isn't a more common talking point. What about Bell does Gase think is not useful?
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2019, 02:20:37 AM »
Superlative aside, I don't understand how this isn't a more common talking point. What about Bell does Gase think is not useful?
Bell is 12th in the NFL in rushing attempts and dead last in the NFL in yards per rush. There is no less efficient play in the NFL right now than the Jets handing off to Bell. He has had 183 carries this season and doesn't even have 600 yards.

He's dead last in yards per rush before contact as well. I don't think it's a matter of Gase not thinking Bell is useful. I think it's a matter of Gase thinking the offensive line is not useful when it comes to run blocking. And he's right.

Also, if your argument is that Gase is an idiot for not wanting to pay Bell, well, he was right! We shouldn't have paid Bell. Paying for running backs is stupid. Most running backs are as good as their offensive lines will let them be. That's why Thomas Jones went from garbage in 2007 to elite in 2008-09. Paying for Bell was a mistake. I like Bell, but it was.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2019, 02:35:27 AM »
I don't think Gase will get us over the hump.  I believe his ceiling is .500 with a healthy roster.  Apparently he skipped Thanksgiving dinner with his family to game plan for Cincy, and we all saw what the fruits of his labor gave us. He's in over his head.
The only time he's had a healthy roster, he took the Dolphins to their only playoff appearance in 15 years.

I know you and others have asked, "Do I think Gase can take the Jets to the Super Bowl?" And I agree with you that that's an important question. I just don't think it's one that can be answered yet.

I turned on Bowles faster than almost all of you. MBGreen and I were the first two I remember on the fire Bowles bandwagon. He made atrocious in-game decisions and the team stopped trying to compete for him.

I don't think this team has stopped competing. They've played hard all season, despite the lack of success. I also haven't seen any egregiously bad clock management/in-game decisions from Gase, other than punting down 16 to the Patriots with Falk, but they might have had a better chance to score on another muffed punt than they did with Falk running the team.

I think it's a high bar to fire a coach after one season. We are 4-5 with Sam Darnold as our quarterback. The 2.5 Falk games were unwinnable. What I saw from the Cincinnati game was a team that could not compete in the trenches offensively, even against an atrocious Bengals team. Some of that is coaching, but the vast majority of that is talent. And defensively, they couldn't get off the field when they needed to.

Entering the season, most of us agreed that the Jets had talent to compete, but they lacked depth. Well, when your QB gets mono, your #2 WR gets hurt, your OL changes every week, your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th LBs all miss multiple games, and your cornerbacks change seemingly every week, that doesn't help a team that lacks depth.

He's definitely on the hot seat when next season starts, but as long as we're happy with where Sam Darnold is in Week 17, I think Gase should come back another year.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2019, 05:56:18 AM »
Bell is 12th in the NFL in rushing attempts and dead last in the NFL in yards per rush. There is no less efficient play in the NFL right now than the Jets handing off to Bell. He has had 183 carries this season and doesn't even have 600 yards.

He's dead last in yards per rush before contact as well. I don't think it's a matter of Gase not thinking Bell is useful. I think it's a matter of Gase thinking the offensive line is not useful when it comes to run blocking. And he's right.

Also, if your argument is that Gase is an idiot for not wanting to pay Bell, well, he was right! We shouldn't have paid Bell. Paying for running backs is stupid. Most running backs are as good as their offensive lines will let them be. That's why Thomas Jones went from garbage in 2007 to elite in 2008-09. Paying for Bell was a mistake. I like Bell, but it was.

You are giving him a lot of credit for deciding to be a one dimensional offense, especially against the worst run defending team in the league.

Leveon Bell isn't as bad as his current ranking. An NFL calibur coach and offensive staff should be able to get more out of Bell than we we are right now.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2019, 06:31:12 AM »

He's definitely on the hot seat when next season starts, but as long as we're happy with where Sam Darnold is in Week 17, I think Gase should come back another year.

If he is going to start NEXT season on the hot seat, what the freak is the point? It means nobody really believes in him. At that point we are just expecting to waste a year of Darnold's youth and development.
Need a new one for a new board...

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2019, 07:32:06 AM »

No OL is so bad that an All-Pro caliber RB should be dead last in YPC because of them.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2019, 09:04:08 AM »

I know you and others have asked, "Do I think Gase can take the Jets to the Super Bowl?" And I agree with you that that's an important question. I just don't think it's one that can be answered yet.

Yes it can.  Gase isn't a rookie HC.  He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore. He wasn't the answer in Miami, and he's pulling the same crap here, which means he isn't the answer here either. I have zero faith that we'll reach the playoffs with this clown, let alone a Super Bowl.  We're making the exact same mistake the Bills made when they hired Rex.

lol

If he's on the hot seat next Sept, why wait?  let's be proactive for once and hire the right guy.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2019, 10:32:56 AM »

For me, considering he can't out game plan an 0-7 Dolphins team where management is trying to tank,

If this were actually true, Josh Rosen would be taking snaps as the starter. Management for sure wanted to tear it down to build something better, but there's a difference between that and outright tanking.

Yes it can.  Gase isn't a rookie HC.  He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore. He wasn't the answer in Miami, and he's pulling the same crap here, which means he isn't the answer here either. I have zero faith that we'll reach the playoffs with this clown, let alone a Super Bowl.  We're making the exact same mistake the Bills made when they hired Rex.

lol

If he's on the hot seat next Sept, why wait?  let's be proactive for once and hire the right guy.

I wholeheartedly believe Atlanta wins a super bowl if they hired Rex over Quinn, especially if he's married to Shanahan in that job.

Further, since you're proposing a firing and want to hire the right guy, who? Rhule? Because college coaches jumping to the NFL are guaranteed success, just ask Nick Saban, Lou Holtz, Mike Riley, Bobby Petrino, Dennis Erickson, Greg Schiano, Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier, Butch Davis, the list goes on and on. That list features multiple national champions and a guy who's considered to be the best college coach along with Urban Meyer of his era.

The fact is, the guy you guys wanted was run out of town by a generational talent at quarterback and a team that has gone from a 6 win season to 8-2. For all of the "Gase rode Manning's jock" talk, there seems to be a massive blindspot to the fact that McCarthy was carried to success by a quarterback he didn't even want when he had the chance to give significant input in drafting him. 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2019, 10:52:03 AM »

Further, since you're proposing a firing and want to hire the right guy, who? Rhule? Because college coaches jumping to the NFL are guaranteed success, just ask Nick Saban, Lou Holtz, Mike Riley, Bobby Petrino, Dennis Erickson, Greg Schiano, Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier, Butch Davis, the list goes on and on. That list features multiple national champions and a guy who's considered to be the best college coach along with Urban Meyer of his era.

Rhule would've been a risk worth taking.  But hey, let's go with the known failure instead.

"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2019, 10:54:56 AM »
  Rhule would've been a risk worth taking.  But hey, let's go with the known failure instead.

Except he's not a known failure. 

How many wins given their talent level should that Miami team have gotten last year, especially considering they played a quarter of the season without their starting quarterback?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2019, 10:57:40 AM »

How many wins given their talent level should that Miami team have gotten last year, especially considering they played a quarter of the season without their starting quarterback?

Yes, he's a failure.  And if he wasn't such a big social retard, he'd probably be on TV sitting next to Rex next year.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »

If he's not a failure, why did Miami fire him?

Also he had his starting QB but couldn't manage to beat a winless Bengals team?

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:05:19 AM by loyaljetsfan »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2019, 11:07:56 AM »
If he's not a failure, why did Miami fire him?

Also he had his starting QB but couldn't manage to beat a winless Bengals team?

Gase got outcoached by 2 winless rookie HC coaches....

#NotAFailureSZN

Tags: