Author Topic: Official Serious Debate: When was the last time the team was this depressing?  (Read 65200 times)

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
The Kotite era is obviously the worst record we’ve had. This is on pace to match it.

I have no idea how we could beat Dallas and what the freak happened to the team since then?

I think 2005 was bad but that was understandable once Chad and Fiedler went down.

07 was rough, but not shockingly bad. 2014 was a disaster and might be the team I’ve hated the most because I simply had no interest in Geno and it just needed to freaking die.

This is the worst I’ve felt as a Jets fan ever as 95-96’ was at its infancy and I barely remember it as I was just a kid.

If we ruin Sam I don’t even know how one begins to get over it.

I think the Dallas game was a combination of this team being super fired up having Sam back and Dallas being absolutely annihilated by injuries (they were missing essentially their entire OL two corners and number 1 wideout), plus possibly underestimating us.

We have had some more injuries as well (ie beachem) and the Patriots skull freaking Sam's confidence.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Just a rundown of the worst seasons in my fan history, seasons that just sucked from start to finish:

2005: 4-12, supposed to take the next step after 2004's success, cut down by injury early in the season. Silver lining: hoping Chad would return from injury the next year.

2007: 4-12, supposed to take the next step after 2006's success, seeing Chad fizzle out at the end of his Jets tenure. Silver lining: young core of Brick/Mangold/Revis/Harris.

2014: 4-12, some people expected us to build on 2013's surprise 8-8 record, instead we wildly underperformed. Michael Vick. End of the Rex era. Silver lining: can't remember one.

2016: 5-11, made very little improvement to the roster that went 10-6 the year before and everything fell apart. Fitztragic. Revis not trying. Silver lining: thinking we could finally commit to a true teardown and rebuild.

Thoughts?

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Whichever year where Kerley was our best WR.  That's about as bad a skill position roster as I've seen.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Just a rundown of the worst seasons in my fan history, seasons that just sucked from start to finish:

2005: 4-12, supposed to take the next step after 2004's success, cut down by injury early in the season. Silver lining: hoping Chad would return from injury the next year.

2007: 4-12, supposed to take the next step after 2006's success, seeing Chad fizzle out at the end of his Jets tenure. Silver lining: young core of Brick/Mangold/Revis/Harris.

2014: 4-12, some people expected us to build on 2013's surprise 8-8 record, instead we wildly underperformed. Michael Vick. End of the Rex era. Silver lining: can't remember one.

2016: 5-11, made very little improvement to the roster that went 10-6 the year before and everything fell apart. Fitztragic. Revis not trying. Silver lining: thinking we could finally commit to a true teardown and rebuild.

Thoughts?

Very accurate, and I feel like I can actually compare these seasons since I was around for all of them. None of those even feel close to as bad as this one. The difference? I never believed in a Jets QB like I do with Sam Darnold. It’s heartbreaking to watch when it feels like we finally have the QB of the future in place but the organization isn’t giving him a chance to succeed.

The sequence of events to start the season really makes this the worst. Duff being retained, Gase getting hired, the sequence that led to Duff’s firing. I’ve never felt good about this season at any point in time.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

WD40

• Drew Coleman
The very end of the '96 1-15 season.  Hugh Douglas telling the world he was going to kill Ty Detmer.  Sacking Ty Detmer three times ... and still losing.  freak.  That was a low point.  This is the worst since that.  freak Adam Gase.  freak him hard.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
Very accurate, and I feel like I can actually compare these seasons since I was around for all of them. None of those even feel close to as bad as this one. The difference? I never believed in a Jets QB like I do with Sam Darnold. It’s heartbreaking to watch when it feels like we finally have the QB of the future in place but the organization isn’t giving him a chance to succeed.

The sequence of events to start the season really makes this the worst. Duff being retained, Gase getting hired, the sequence that led to Duff’s firing. I’ve never felt good about this season at any point in time.
As DS said above, the Darnold factor cuts in two different directions, he's something we should be hopeful about but seeing him struggle for nothing right now is painful. For now I'm still hopeful, I still see him as undeveloped rather than regressing.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
The depressing part is I thought we had a QB. But a terrible owner saw to that.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
I've been a Jets fan since Joe Walton was picking his nose on the sideline on TV. I lived through Peyton Manning telling us to freak off, and Rich Kotite running the team into the ground.

This is the worst season I've lived through. All this stuff about guys having had hope coming in isn't something I felt at any point. Like SFD, there has never been a point when I felt positive about this year.

And this staff is ruining the best QB prospect this organization has ever had. Exactly what I said was going to happen.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
I don’t think Darnold is as broken as people are letting on. He’s made some bad plays but this whole team is in disrepair. I don’t think we’ll get good play out of any QB at the moment as it seems they’ve gathered 11 strangers every Sunday to run an offense together

ScotlandJet

• Vinny Testaverde
This whole thread is tough to read.
Fans recalling some dark days of the past. I'm old enough to remember the double overtime loss in Clevland and the following tailspin of the team when we were ligit. We just never got there and this period feels very similar.

We have always flirted with success even under Mangini but these last few years under Bowles and now this abortion just makes me sad and worse - indifferent.
I always say at the start of the season I just want the Jets to be in the shake up at Christmas even if it is a longshot - ha! When did that last happen?
...first prize a Cadillac Eldorado- second prize, a set of Steak Knives

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
Yeah it's definitely too early to write Darnold off.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
I don't think it's time to write off Sam. I do think continuing to allow this staff to coach him and this offense will cause irreparable harm.

When he has even an extra second to throw, you can see the talent there. The problem is that extra second is really hard to come by.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
Has 99 even been brought up? I don't think I've ever been as devastated by a season as that one.

I saw 2005 get brought up a couple of times here, that one hurt. Fresh off a 10 win season with a pro bowler brought in at a position of need....all for it to go up in flames as Chad AND Jay went down within about a 10 minute span of each other.

This one hurts. Yesterday was yet another valley for a franchise that's seen so many. But I still don't buy two narratives being pushed by the media right now;

1. The damage being done to Sam will be irreversible.

2. Douglas and Gase are tied at the hip.

And so begins the march to the end of the season, and very likely, the search for a new head coach. I said it before this debacle, if Gase loses to the dolphins and giants, I could definitely see ownership pulling the plug. 

Also...Brian Winters should have been cut the second the game was over yesterday.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
I think there's a difference between a season lost to injury like Vinny and Chad and a team that is just terrible in its construction.

Vinny's 99 injury stands alone because 1998 was the best team we've ever had, except for (or possibly including) the 68 team none of us saw. The only team to stop us from winning the Super Bowl was Denver and Elway was retired. After that year we lost Parcells, Belichick, Keyshawn and were never the same team again. The Chad years were what they were, odd years he was hurt and we sucked, even years he was in and we made the playoffs.

As far as being historically bad over a stretch of years, again I can only point to the mid 70s and the mid 90s for anything comparable to this. The mid 70s were the last few Namath years which bottomed out in 76 when Lou Holtz came in and was fired before the last game. We went 3-11 for the second year in a row and Namath was done after the season. We went 3-11 again in 1977 with Walt Michaels but he was a new coach with a real rebuild getting started, with young players like Todd, Walker, Klecko, Harper, Buttle and Powell.

I still maintain that 1995 was worse and more depressing than 1996, even though the record was slightly better. By 96 we had some better players, played more competitive games and knew Kotite would be gone as opposed to just getting here. We also knew by mid/late 96 that Parcells and Kraft were at odds and there was a good chance we would get Parcells and the #1 overall pick after the season, which we did.

This year reminds me a lot of 1995, coach being new, except that we have a young QB trying to find his way as opposed to an aging star in Boomer. Boomer could have used some of Darnold's agility in 1995.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
I am all in for having a tailgate this year if they fire this bag of dicks

Tags: