Author Topic: Sir's 2014 Mock 1.0  (Read 3549 times)

Sir

• Laveranues Coles
Sir's 2014 Mock 1.0
« on: January 10, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »
Threw together a mock, I'm not big enough on this site or knowledgeable enough honestly to create my own thread for this mock but nothing wrong with a little conversation right?

I'm sure it won't be loved by most as I take a front 7 player in round 2, don't have us drafting a safety and don't address WR until round 3 but I will quickly try to address those.  If we are going to go ahead with Allen at one of our safety spots, I expect a veteran to start next to him, at least for the time being.  WR and RB depth are so great in this draft, I can honestly say I cannot remember anything like it.  There's going to be guys drafting from the mid 2nd round to the end of round 4 that are basically interchangeable and picked based on a team's preference.  We need to take advantage of that depth in the mid rounds IMO. Could some of the guy's I selected be long gone by the time I have them going to us? Absolutely, but it's way to early for anyone to say that decisively.

1. Eric Ebron, TE, UNC- No explanation needed, just hoping he makes it to 18.  With 4 QB's, 2 OL (minimum), 2 WR's, Clowney and Barr all locks to go before our pick we just have to hope the 7 teams ahead of us have bigger needs.

2. Kyle Van Noy, OLB/DE, BYU- Most will probably not be too pleased with us drafting a front 7 player again so early in the draft.  Van Noy is a guy who is being a little underrated and forgotten about now IMO due to the much flashier guys (Vic Beasley) and the fact he had a bit of a quiet season.  A first round talent who gets pushed down in such a deep draft would be able to take over a OLB spot immediately.  A guy who does everything well, but nothing extraordinarily well.  Adequate coverage guy too who has some true potential there, which is a plus for us.

3. Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson- I am very very high on this kid.  Big time talent who had he went back for his senior season would have been in the conversation as a first round pick.  Overshadowed by Sammy, has NFL size and is a down field threat we sorely lack (averaged 19.7 YPC). 

3. Ka'deem Carey, RB, Arizona- Could and probably will go higher than this but in a time where running backs are getting pushed down the boards and in a year with so much running back talent theres also an equally good chance he's here with this pick. Some will see him as a product of Rich Rodriguez's offense but he is much more than that.  Adequate pass catcher out of the backfield as well.

4. Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina- An explosive playmaker who slides to the mid 4th due to the talent at WR this year.  We've seemingly been looking for a player with similar skills as Ellington for quite some time (if you believe the rumors of our interest in Harvin and players as such). Return skills are an added bonus.

5. Max Bullough, MLB, Michigan St.- David Harris isn't going to be around forever and with his big contract, his time with the jets is probably closer to being over than most realize. Bullough falls to the 5th because he isn't especially quick or athletic; he is however extremely instinctive and does excel in run defense.  A true Rex Ryan kind of player. I love the thought of adding a MLB in the mid to late rounds this year; no reason to spend a top 3 round draft pick on a MLB anymore unless the player is truly special a la Kuechly.

6. Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood- Probably (closer to definitely) will not be around in the 6th.  One of, if not the top sublevel player this year, Desir is extremely talented and I expect him to climb up as high as the 3rd round.

7. Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia- Size and his late season injury push him way down. Actually fairly high on Murray compared to most. 

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: Sir's 2014 Mock 1.0
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 11:17:13 AM »
Any mock with considerable thought and explanation put into it is worthy of its own thread.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:37:52 AM »
Any mock with considerable thought and explanation put into it is worthy of its own thread.

Agreed.

I don't know a lot about any of these guys so I can't comment much. What I'll say is, I don't have a problem taking a defensive player early (but outside round 1) if that guy can make a big impact inside our pass rush. I don't know anything about Van Noy, so I have to ask, does he have the ability to get to the QB?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 11:41:23 AM »
Agreed.

I don't know a lot about any of these guys so I can't comment much. What I'll say is, I don't have a problem taking a defensive player early (but outside round 1) if that guy can make a big impact inside our pass rush. I don't know anything about Van Noy, so I have to ask, does he have the ability to get to the QB?

He'd be more of a boon in coverage than rushing the passer probably.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:50:28 AM »
Nice work, dude.

I like all of these players except for Aaron Murray.  Admittedly, I don't know anything about Pierre Desir.  Postseason all-star games are big for small school players like him. 

In my opinion, there really isn't that much running back talent in this year's draft.  There's a lot of good running backs, but no special talents, except for maybe Tre Mason...and that's probably stretching it too.  Carey is a third or fourth (maybe even later) round prospect.

Martavis Bryant is a height/weight/speed prospect with high upside.  He drops a ton of easy passes and he's had academic problems since high school.  I think we'll see a lot of Josh Gordon/Stephen Hill comparisons.  I'm not against using a third rounder on him because his talent level is through the roof, but he's not polished at all. He also faced single coverage from #2 and nickel corners his entire career because of Watkins and Hopkins. 

Bruce Ellington is so good.  I think he's going to fly up boards and maybe go in the second round.  He just does everything so well and he does it the right way.  Route running, high-pointing the football, athleticism before and after the catch is big time. 

He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Sir

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 12:16:27 PM »
He'd be more of a boon in coverage than rushing the passer probably.
He can get to the QB, but he's not a guy who's going to post 8+ sacks a year. Strong against the run, decent in coverage, instinctive, VERY well rounded.  Also is fairly versatile which should make him attractive for our defense

Sir

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 12:30:13 PM »
Nice work, dude.

I like all of these players except for Aaron Murray.  Admittedly, I don't know anything about Pierre Desir.  Postseason all-star games are big for small school players like him. 

In my opinion, there really isn't that much running back talent in this year's draft.  There's a lot of good running backs, but no special talents, except for maybe Tre Mason...and that's probably stretching it too.  Carey is a third or fourth (maybe even later) round prospect.

Martavis Bryant is a height/weight/speed prospect with high upside.  He drops a ton of easy passes and he's had academic problems since high school.  I think we'll see a lot of Josh Gordon/Stephen Hill comparisons.  I'm not against using a third rounder on him because his talent level is through the roof, but he's not polished at all. He also faced single coverage from #2 and nickel corners his entire career because of Watkins and Hopkins. 

Bruce Ellington is so good.  I think he's going to fly up boards and maybe go in the second round.  He just does everything so well and he does it the right way.  Route running, high-pointing the football, athleticism before and after the catch is big time.

Agreed about the RB's.  I guess what I was trying to say is I see a whole bunch of similarly talented guys in their own ways who are going to be drafted anywhere from round 2-5 depending on team need and such.  Going to be really hard to project where most of these guys go.

Pierre Desir was a stud at Lindenwood, he has great size (6'2) and is extremely physical.  He'll be playing in the East-West Shrine game if you'd like to check him out.  QB's literally stopped throwing at him this year, he was a man among boys.

I sadly agree with you about Ellington, tremendously talented.

Thanks for the feedback!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
He can get to the QB, but he's not a guy who's going to post 8+ sacks a year. Strong against the run, decent in coverage, instinctive, VERY well rounded.  Also is fairly versatile which should make him attractive for our defense

Can't ask for much more from a 2nd rounder.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »
I had overlooked the fact that Ellington returned kicks. Now he's even more appealing.

WW85

• Lord El-Ray
  • Laveranues Coles
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 01:35:13 PM »
Sir....outstanding work.

I like all of your picks.

Hasn't been too much talk on Van Noy of late, I think he's a safe pick, may not be super productive in the NFL, but a solid player. Another player I might consider with the same pick would be Michael Sam. Some may want to keep Sam in the front 4, but I think he can play standing up.

Who knows maybe the Clemson connection with Rex can influence selecting Bryant. Bryant  hasn't tapped his potential.

Ellington was a one man show in the Bowl game, exciting player that the Jets sorely lack.

The only position I might have addressed is O-line, I would like an OG or at least a verastile player than can play OT & OG. We have more comps coming so it shouldn't be an issue.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 02:04:37 PM »
I didn't read the article but ESPN New York tweeted a link to a story that Martavis Bryant would be a good pick for the Giants.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 06:01:16 PM »
Sir....outstanding work.

I like all of your picks.

Hasn't been too much talk on Van Noy of late, I think he's a safe pick, may not be super productive in the NFL, but a solid player. Another player I might consider with the same pick would be Michael Sam. Some may want to keep Sam in the front 4, but I think he can play standing up.

Who knows maybe the Clemson connection with Rex can influence selecting Bryant. Bryant  hasn't tapped his potential.

Ellington was a one man show in the Bowl game, exciting player that the Jets sorely lack.

The only position I might have addressed is O-line, I would like an OG or at least a verastile player than can play OT & OG. We have more comps coming so it shouldn't be an issue.

Big Michael Sam fan. Wouldn't be upset to see him added. also, we may have somewhat of a Mizzou DL connection, with big Rich in our house. Would love to see if he can stand up and play opposite Coples.

Good work Sir, Lots of good, but, Max Bullough is probably my favorite pick. Love that guy, and wouldn't be shocked to see him take over for Harris in the not so distant future.
Need a new one for a new board...

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »
I normally wouldnt like a draft with a defensive player within the first 2 rounds, but I think the player choice and the rest of the draft certainly makes up for it. I would be very happy with this. Love Ebron in the first, no need to elaborate. Van Noy would be a solid addition to the defense, and could "overachieve" with the DL we have.

Honestly not really sure what I think about Martavis Bryant yet. He has great size and speed, but I havent seen enough of him to make a complete conclusion on his route running and hands. Im sure he would draw Hill comparisons right from the start, but I see a much smoother athlete.

Carey is a solid back, nothing really special, but a quality addition that would solidify our backfield. Ellington is really dynamic and would have an instant impact on special teams.

Nice work.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »

Threw together a mock, I'm not big enough on this site or knowledgeable enough honestly to create my own thread for this mock but nothing wrong with a little conversation right?

Great to have conversation about the draft. 

Any draft with Ebron is something I'm board with.  The kid has elite potential.

Van Noy is a very good pass rusher and coverage guy, it's dumb that people are cooling on him. He fits in any defense, and has honest LB skills unlike most other stand up candidates. He'd be perfect for an adjustment to a 43 w/o a true pass rushing end.

The receivers you took would be a great combo to bring in together. Ellington probably has a better short term value with his return history, but Ebron is the real immediate contributor.

I'm not a big Kadeem Carey fan, and I also don't really think a RB that early is a great bet with the RB class as it is. It's deep with quality talent.

Tags: