New York Jets Football > ...And The Home Of The Jets

Evaluating CBs in various systems

(1/6) > >>

bojanglesman:
With what little technical football knowledge I have, it seems to me that a cornerback in Rex Ryan's defensive scheme has much more pressure on him than in other systems where they have more safety support. 

With that in mind, if the Jets choose to move on from Cro or in any way look to the free agent market for a corner, could we expect to get our money's worth from an established corner who hasn't frequently played on the "island" that Rex Ryan seems to love so much? 

For example, say we dumped Cro and went for an upper tier free agent corner like Grimes from Miami who might get anywhere from $6-$8 million per year (just an example, I'm not saying we should do this).  Is it likely that he won't earn his pay because he has been falsely supported by safety help elsewhere and would not hold up when out by himself?  Is it possible that our current corners might shine elsewhere after having been thrown to the fire in Rex's scheme?

Just curious what some of the more knowledgeable people here think.  I'd hate for us to get a $6 million dud.

Miamipuck:

--- Quote from: bojanglesman on January 10, 2014, 09:48:27 AM ---With what little technical football knowledge I have, it seems to me that a cornerback in Rex Ryan's defensive scheme has much more pressure on him than in other systems where they have more safety support. 

With that in mind, if the Jets choose to move on from Cro or in any way look to the free agent market for a corner, could we expect to get our money's worth from an established corner who hasn't frequently played on the "island" that Rex Ryan seems to love so much? 

For example, say we dumped Cro and went for an upper tier free agent corner like Grimes from Miami who might get anywhere from $6-$8 million per year (just an example, I'm not saying we should do this).  Is it likely that he won't earn his pay because he has been falsely supported by safety help elsewhere and would not hold up when out by himself?  Is it possible that our current corners might shine elsewhere after having been thrown to the fire in Rex's scheme?

Just curious what some of the more knowledgeable people here think.  I'd hate for us to get a $6 million dud.

--- End quote ---

Grimes is a really athletic guy but he is already 31 years old, I am not sure I would give him big money. In my opinion I would go for the CB's that were in the 25-27 year range of age. That would be Verner first and foremost here is the list, I included their age and comments if I watched them enough:

1. Brent Grimes - old
2. Aqib Talib- Character issues
3. Alterraun Verner- perfect
4. Vontae Davis- ok
5. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie -meh
6. Charles Tillman- over 30
7. Sam Shields- 26 perfect
8. Walter Thurmond III- 26
9. Tarell Brown-29
10. Chris Cook- 26
11. Corey Graham- 28
12. Terrell Thomas- 29 no injury concerns
13. DeAngelo Hall- uh no
14. Captain Munnerlyn- 25 good choice
15. Trumaine McBride- 28 meh
16. Antoine Cason- 27
17. Drayton Florence- 33 way too old
18. Will Blackmon- 29 meh
19. Rashean Mathis- ancient no
20. Josh Wilson-28 meh
21. Tracy Porter- 27
22. Richard Marshall- 29
23. Nolan Carroll- no
24. E.J. Biggers- 26
25. Quentin Jammer - no too old

bojanglesman:
Dammit Puck, wipe the jizz out of your eyes. I was asking about how you can evaluate a corner in another system and how he would fare in Rex's system, not a list of corners we should take.  poopchute.

Cue "hand up dog's derriere" comment..............

bojanglesman:
Sorry for being ornery, I've been seeing lots of dogs with derriere problems today.  They seem to be coming from south Florida.  I've found mustache fibers in their rectums.

Miamipuck:

--- Quote from: bojanglesman on January 10, 2014, 10:01:21 AM ---Dammit Puck, wipe the jizz out of your eyes. I was asking about how you can evaluate a corner in another system and how he would fare in Rex's system, not a list of corners we should take.  poopchute.

Cue "hand up dog's derriere" comment..............

--- End quote ---

So you make a jizz in eye comment and you have to preemptively strike on the hand up a dog's derriere? How about I would use a goat's derriere this time.

How to evaluate a CB in another system, it isn't easy but you would have to watch his physicality. Does he like to press at the line, does he give too much cushion, can he make a 1 v 1 tackle as will be required in a man system. You have to look at the players other virtues and see if you can make a guess as to how he will fit in a man system. Anyway, Rex moved away from man for a bit because Cro and Dee sucked in the mid part of the year. One thing about Rex, in his system he makes it work for the player and not the other way around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version