Author Topic: Evaluating CBs in various systems  (Read 5248 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Evaluating CBs in various systems
« on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:27 AM »
With what little technical football knowledge I have, it seems to me that a cornerback in Rex Ryan's defensive scheme has much more pressure on him than in other systems where they have more safety support. 

With that in mind, if the Jets choose to move on from Cro or in any way look to the free agent market for a corner, could we expect to get our money's worth from an established corner who hasn't frequently played on the "island" that Rex Ryan seems to love so much? 

For example, say we dumped Cro and went for an upper tier free agent corner like Grimes from Miami who might get anywhere from $6-$8 million per year (just an example, I'm not saying we should do this).  Is it likely that he won't earn his pay because he has been falsely supported by safety help elsewhere and would not hold up when out by himself?  Is it possible that our current corners might shine elsewhere after having been thrown to the fire in Rex's scheme?

Just curious what some of the more knowledgeable people here think.  I'd hate for us to get a $6 million dud.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: Evaluating CBs in various systems
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 09:56:43 AM »
With what little technical football knowledge I have, it seems to me that a cornerback in Rex Ryan's defensive scheme has much more pressure on him than in other systems where they have more safety support. 

With that in mind, if the Jets choose to move on from Cro or in any way look to the free agent market for a corner, could we expect to get our money's worth from an established corner who hasn't frequently played on the "island" that Rex Ryan seems to love so much? 

For example, say we dumped Cro and went for an upper tier free agent corner like Grimes from Miami who might get anywhere from $6-$8 million per year (just an example, I'm not saying we should do this).  Is it likely that he won't earn his pay because he has been falsely supported by safety help elsewhere and would not hold up when out by himself?  Is it possible that our current corners might shine elsewhere after having been thrown to the fire in Rex's scheme?

Just curious what some of the more knowledgeable people here think.  I'd hate for us to get a $6 million dud.

Grimes is a really athletic guy but he is already 31 years old, I am not sure I would give him big money. In my opinion I would go for the CB's that were in the 25-27 year range of age. That would be Verner first and foremost here is the list, I included their age and comments if I watched them enough:

1. Brent Grimes - old
2. Aqib Talib- Character issues
3. Alterraun Verner- perfect
4. Vontae Davis- ok
5. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie -meh
6. Charles Tillman- over 30
7. Sam Shields- 26 perfect
8. Walter Thurmond III- 26
9. Tarell Brown-29
10. Chris Cook- 26
11. Corey Graham- 28
12. Terrell Thomas- 29 no injury concerns
13. DeAngelo Hall- uh no
14. Captain Munnerlyn- 25 good choice
15. Trumaine McBride- 28 meh
16. Antoine Cason- 27
17. Drayton Florence- 33 way too old
18. Will Blackmon- 29 meh
19. Rashean Mathis- ancient no
20. Josh Wilson-28 meh
21. Tracy Porter- 27
22. Richard Marshall- 29
23. Nolan Carroll- no
24. E.J. Biggers- 26
25. Quentin Jammer - no too old
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:04:40 AM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 10:01:21 AM »
Dammit Puck, wipe the jizz out of your eyes. I was asking about how you can evaluate a corner in another system and how he would fare in Rex's system, not a list of corners we should take.  poopchute.

Cue "hand up dog's derriere" comment..............

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
Sorry for being ornery, I've been seeing lots of dogs with derriere problems today.  They seem to be coming from south Florida.  I've found mustache fibers in their rectums.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:09:05 AM »
Dammit Puck, wipe the jizz out of your eyes. I was asking about how you can evaluate a corner in another system and how he would fare in Rex's system, not a list of corners we should take.  poopchute.

Cue "hand up dog's derriere" comment..............

So you make a jizz in eye comment and you have to preemptively strike on the hand up a dog's derriere? How about I would use a goat's derriere this time.

How to evaluate a CB in another system, it isn't easy but you would have to watch his physicality. Does he like to press at the line, does he give too much cushion, can he make a 1 v 1 tackle as will be required in a man system. You have to look at the players other virtues and see if you can make a guess as to how he will fit in a man system. Anyway, Rex moved away from man for a bit because Cro and Dee sucked in the mid part of the year. One thing about Rex, in his system he makes it work for the player and not the other way around.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:10:45 AM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:09:49 AM »
Sorry for being ornery, I've been seeing lots of dogs with derriere problems today.  They seem to be coming from south Florida.  I've found mustache fibers in their rectums.

I shaved my mustache 2 months ago you animal rectum lover.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 10:15:02 AM »
Alterraun Verner will get a nice contract. he's the prize of the corner class

Grimes is short and getting older. he won't get that much money

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »
My take on the corner position is that it won't matter as much next year. The key is getting a real threat at LB to get to the passer. If we have someone who can utilize the open space created by the DL effectively, it's going to make whoever we have at corner look better.

I firmly believe the biggest problem our secondary has faced (sans Revis) over Rex's tenure is exposure. I don't care who it is, if a guy was drafted to the NFL as a QB and you give him enough time, he's going to complete passes. There is only so much a secondary can do.

We have to hit the quarterback. The best upgrade to corner or safety is to have someone in the front 7 who can put Brady on his derriere.

I know that doesn't answer the question in the expected way.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 11:30:19 AM »
I think Rex's system will expose players that aren't true cover corners.  I would be wary of corners with good stats in systems with really good safeties.

MoreCharacters

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »
so let's get the really good safety

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 11:45:20 AM »
I think Rex's system will expose players that aren't true cover corners.  I would be wary of corners with good stats in systems with really good safeties.

Again the Jets would need a guy that is physical at the line and can hold (not grab) his line in the face of good WR's. That's what made Revis so good, once Revis got his hands on the WR, that guy was done. So even in a system with strong safety play if the Jets can get a CB that is able to play man on the line and not get beat badly like a Wilson or beginning of the season Milliner because they can't play at the line, then they are fine.

Also I hope the Jets go for the younger tier of free agent CB's. I don't want any 30 plus guys other than maybe a healthier Cro.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »

Again, when guys are exposed the coverage will break down. As good as the line has played, we give QBs far too much time to throw, and that's when receivers are able to shake loose and make plays.

I'm not saying CB isn't an important position and we should ignore it. I'm just saying that a pass-rusher who actually hits the QB is more important.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 11:53:28 AM »
Alterraun Verner will get a nice contract. he's the prize of the corner class

Grimes is short and getting older. he won't get that much money

Brent Grimes is the same size as Alterraun Verner. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 11:54:30 AM »

But he's older so he must be shrinking.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 11:57:28 AM »

Liar, Verner is 5'10 187 and Grimes is 5'10 181. That's hardly the same size. hahaha

Tags: