New York Jets Football > ...And The Home Of The Jets

Jets Media Bias, Slanted Stories

(1/4) > >>

Miamipuck:
I was bored and figured this would be a good spot to discuss stories by the so called beat writers that are slanted to one angle and don't show the big picture. For instance:

--- Quote ---The New York Jets struggled with penalties in 2013. Did they ever.

They committed 108 penalties, their most since 1996 -- their 1-15 season under Rich Kotite. It's never a good thing when you land in the same sentence as Kotite. The low point came in Week 3, when they were guilty of a franchise-record 20 penalties, and somehow managed to win.

All told, the Jets racked up 837 penalty yards, which isn't half bad -- 17th in the league -- but the troubling part is they led the league in pre-snap penalties (54). That's just a lack of focus, plain and simple.

Rex Ryan oftens mentions that it's uncharacteristic for his teams to be highly penalized, but that's not entirely true. In his tenure, dating to 2009, the Jets are 18th in penalties and 21st in yardage, according to ESPN Stats.

Some of the particulars from 2013, courtesy of the NFL:

Most frequently penalized players: RG Willie Colon, 12 for 82 yards (one declined); DE Muhammad Wilkerson, 10 for 66 yards (two declined); CB Antonio Cromartie, 7 for 110 yards (one declined); LG Brian Winters, 7 for 61 yards; CB Kyle Wilson, 6 for 49 yards (two declined); LG Vladimir Ducasse, 6 for 40 yards (one declined); QB Geno Smith, 6 for 21 yards (one declined).

Most common penalties: Offensive holding, 19 for 141 yards (five declined); defensive offside, 17 for 68 yards (two declined); false starts, 16 for 78 yards. Seven of the false starts ended in stalled drives.

Avoided the penalty bug: S Dawan Landry, 0 penalties; C Nick Mangold, 1 for 15 yards; CB Dee Milliner, 1 for 15 yards; LB David Harris, 1 for 5 yards; DT Damon Harrison, 1 for 5 yards.

--- End quote ---

Now those #'s are completely true. However in the context of the season the Jets were an order of magnitude better as the season progressed and were in the top half of the league since the bye.

Week   # of Penalties  Rank in NFL

1- -----6----16th
2-------8----22nd Colon punched Ref
3-------20---32nd
4-------10---10th
5-------6---- 10th
6-------5---- 10th
7-------9-----23rd
8-------4------5th
9-------8------29th
10- bye week
11-------4------7th
12-------6-----16th
13-------4------7th
14-------4-----10th
15-------3------2nd
16-------6------17th
17-------5------17th

Now I do agree the pre snap penalties are atrocious but a lot of them were concentrated in 3-4 guys.

Also week 2-4 The Jets had 38 of their 108 penalities, 35% in 3 games for exactly 300 yards, 36% of the season yardage total of 837, that's crazy. I think you most definitely have to factor in the punch of the ref in week #2.

reuben:
Do you have the stats regarding 12 men on the field? That's the one penalty that's driven me up the wall during Rex's tenure. I only remember one instance this season, but there might have been more. 

Miamipuck:

--- Quote from: reuben on January 10, 2014, 08:44:37 AM ---Do you have the stats regarding 12 men on the field? That's the one penalty that's driven me up the wall during Rex's tenure. I only remember one instance this season, but there might have been more. 

--- End quote ---

Sure do the Jets had 3 defensive 12 men on the field penalties for a total of 15 yards. That was good for 29th in the league. They didn't have any on the Offensive side.

I can get a breakdown for literally any type of penalty.

Badger:

--- Quote from: Miamipuck on January 10, 2014, 08:49:43 AM ---Sure do the Jets had 3 defensive 12 men on the field penalties for a total of 15 yards. That was good for 29th in the league. They didn't have any on the Offensive side.

I can get a breakdown for literally any type of penalty.
--- End quote ---

How many times were we called for "giving him the business"?

Miamipuck:

--- Quote from: Badger on January 10, 2014, 08:58:01 AM ---How many times were we called for "giving him the business"?

--- End quote ---

2 for 15 yards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version