Author Topic: NCAA allowing student athletes to be paid  (Read 4570 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
NCAA allowing student athletes to be paid
« on: September 30, 2019, 10:42:14 AM »
I'm not smart enough to figure out all the ramifications of this but they have to be immense. Presumably USC, UCLA etc just got a huge recruiting advantage unless the NCAA either immediately makes a move to allow it across all of their schools, or refuses to allow California schools to participate in NCAA sanctioned competition which creates a massive legal battle. Where the hell does this go?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/sports/college-athletes-paid-california.html
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: NCAA allowing student athletes to be paid
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 03:53:44 PM »
My detailed analysis: it's good.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 04:22:41 PM »
My guess?  NCAA kicks off the big-derriere legal battle as suggested in the article as a stall tactic to achieve one of the following:

1) enough time for the rest of the nation to catch up to California and make an orderly transition, or

2) enough time to politicize this topic and recruit millions of Southerners against those fags in California trying to take away college footbaw. 

Hoping it's the former. 

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 04:26:31 PM »
My guess?  NCAA kicks off the big-derriere legal battle as suggested in the article as a stall tactic to achieve one of the following:

1) enough time for the rest of the nation to catch up to California and make an orderly transition, or

2) enough time to politicize this topic and recruit millions of Southerners against those fags in California trying to take away college footbaw. 

Hoping it's the former.
PAYING COLLEGE ATHLETES IS DISRESPECTFUL TO THE TROOPS

THEY FOUGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO GET A CONCUSSION PLAYING SPECIAL TEAMS FOR THE FRESNO STATE BULLDOGS

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 07:52:31 AM »
1. College athletes in revenue sports deserve to be paid more than simply tuition.
2. This could absolutely create an unlevel playing field, which is a valid concern for people who care about the future of major college sports.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 11:48:35 AM »
- Are all schools paying the same compensation?
- Are all sports funded the same?
- Are Male/Female teams funded the same?
- Are the star recruits paid the same as walk ons?
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 11:49:28 AM »
Some things will get better, some worse

/Boldprediction

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 12:00:18 PM »
- Are all schools paying the same compensation?
- Are all sports funded the same?
- Are Male/Female teams funded the same?
- Are the star recruits paid the same as walk ons?

I don't believe that the proposal is that schools will pay any compensation, rather that players will be allowed to profit from their own likeness and profile. Which is an answer to all of your questions.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 12:35:54 PM »
I don't believe that the proposal is that schools will pay any compensation, rather that players will be allowed to profit from their own likeness and profile. Which is an answer to all of your questions.

That I have no problem with. Don’t like how that will become part of the recruiting process though.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 12:39:31 PM »
Rutgers is already over the cap. I've had it with this excrement.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 01:24:39 PM »
That I have no problem with. Don’t like how that will become part of the recruiting process though.

I agree, I think it will encourage some high quality but not elite players to go to big schools where they can get more appearance money at the potential cost of reps; they'll essentially be hurting their draft stock in order to chase early money. But all that will do is open up opportunities for other players at mid majors to get more reps and show what they can do, and TBH the recruitment process seems to be pretty lopsided right now anyway.

My biggest concern is that it will create opportunities for some schools (yes, Oregon, you) to use their corporate partnerships to create impossibly lucrative opportunities for stars.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 02:57:31 PM »
I've always been against college players getting paid to play. Tuition is a valuable asset. It's no one's business/problem if a collegiate athlete has no "need" for school or actual desire for the education. If you get a free or partial ride, you're being compensated. I doubt student-athletes complain when they suffer career-ending injuries and have that degree to fall back on.

That said, I've always thought it was utterly ridiculous that players couldn't profit from their likeness/stardom/etc. If an "average" college student writes a book and it goes bestseller, no one tells them they can't collect the profits.

To me, letting athletes profit from their status is the right thing to do.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 07:36:29 AM »
I've always been against college players getting paid to play. Tuition is a valuable asset. It's no one's business/problem if a collegiate athlete has no "need" for school or actual desire for the education. If you get a free or partial ride, you're being compensated. I doubt student-athletes complain when they suffer career-ending injuries and have that degree to fall back on.

That said, I've always thought it was utterly ridiculous that players couldn't profit from their likeness/stardom/etc. If an "average" college student writes a book and it goes bestseller, no one tells them they can't collect the profits.

To me, letting athletes profit from their status is the right thing to do.
It's definitely the right thing to do.

The bottom line is that even if you view the scholarship as a form of payment (and in some ways it is), it pales in comparison to the amount of money that CFB and CBB make for some of these schools. The players should get a bigger cut of it.

Of course, once you start doing that, the whole landscape of college sports changes.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 01:54:38 AM »
Rutgers is already over the cap. I've had it with this excrement.

All the honks.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
When the slaves on the plantation are getting too uppity

https://twitter.com/SenatorBurr/status/1189262863552208896?s=09

Tags: