Author Topic: NYJ Cornerbacks  (Read 1497 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
NYJ Cornerbacks
« on: August 18, 2019, 06:22:44 PM »
Stating the obvious, but we're in serious trouble here...

I don't have faith in any of the cornerbacks on our roster, including Trumaine Johnson when he's healthy.

I view Daryl Roberts as more of utility defensive back.  Someone that can step in and play a little corner or safety when called upon.  It's a little ridiculous that Mike Maccagnan handed him that deal this offseason.  He is a much better fit in Gregg's defense, but he will get toasted covering top receivers.

Brian Poole is strictly a slot corner.  His impact comes with splash plays like forced fumbles and big hits in the run and screen games.  He is not very consistent in coverage, but he has the ability to help our defense at times. 

Michael Nania had a nice breakdown of Alex Brown's performance against Atlanta.  He has a shot to stick as a fourth corner.

Arthur Maulet was exposed by Calvin Ridley.

Parry Nickerson is fighting for a roster spot and losing. 

Marcus Cooper is a journeyman that can't stay healthy. 

Kyron Brown seems like an early favorite to stick as an undrafted player, but he won't make the team if he can't get healthy. 

Blessuan Austin is essentially a redshirt player while he continues to recover from his injury. 

---

Joe Douglas has to make a few moves here to shore this up as best as possible. 

I expect a low-level trade (player-for-player or a late round conditional swap) for a fringe roster corner...maybe with Philly.  We also know he'll be extremely active through the waiver wire. 

EJ Gaines just got released by Buffalo.  He played for Williams in Cleveland.  He's hurt right now, but he's the kind of veteran player we should grab and stash on the short term IR.

Even if we acquire a mid-to-low level fill-in corner, I expect our secondary to give up a ton of big plays.  It's a trend with Gregg Williams' defenses and he's had better players at the position in other stops as DC.

Any names floating around that you guys have seen? 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: NYJ Cornerbacks
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 06:54:49 PM »
You can pretty much play a name game of "Jets Starting CB or automated Madden draft pick name" and I don't know if I would pass at this point.

I don't know how our cornerbacks are going to stop anyone this year. Our pass rush could be decent if Quinnen is a monster, but we still don't have edge rushers unless Polite is better than he looks.

I think the Jets are going to play a lot of high-scoring games this year. Darnold is going to have to throw a ton to keep us in games. It's pretty comical the Week 1 over/under is 38.5 right now. Even though the Bills receivers suck, John Brown will be able to burn every one of our CBs. Hopefully Zay Jones has his normal allotment of drops.

I haven't been able to watch the preseason that closely, so I'll trust your evaluations on these cornerbacks. Roberts is a decent #3 who can fake it as a #2. Poole can be OK in the slot. Neither is great, even in those roles, but at least they're NFL players. I have no idea if any of these other players are even NFL players.

And Trumaine Johnson was bad last year, and he's already injured. So I have very little faith in him. However, he's at least shown to be an NFL-caliber player before, and maybe he can do it again.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 06:55:09 PM »
I was going to post about EJ Gaines after seeing the Bills released him but you beat me to it.

The Eagles and Ravens are two teams that are deep at corner and have connections to our front office so I could see us arranging a trade with them.

If Jacksonville or Arizona get off to slow starts, perhaps they'll be inclined to trade Ramsey/Peterson (but that's probably more of a pipe dream).

We should probably just come to terms with the fact that we're going to be awful at corner and give up a lot of plays. Hopefully the front seven will generate enough pressure to keep things respectable but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Corner should be our biggest need next offseason along with finding long-term starters along the OL and a true edge rusher.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:00:57 PM by Andrew Ryan »

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 08:32:48 PM »
Our corners are simply awful, and it blows that they are this bad when we have 2 great safeties (if Maye is healthy) and what should be strong interior pressure.

If I thought we would likely be picking in the 20s I would be all kinds of interested in trying to pry Ramsey away from the Jags for our 1st next year. But with a shaky OL we are one blindside hit away from picking top 3 again next April. If that scenario were to happen we need that elite pick to get the OL we will so desperately need.

In all likelihood we will have a revolving door at CB on the bottom of the roster as we constantly are bringing guys in that get cut each week and release last weeks bottom of the roster guy in hopes of finding a guy who belongs on a roster somewhere along the way
Need a new one for a new board...

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 07:58:09 AM »
Rumors are floating around that AJ Bouye and Josh Norman could get cut.  I'm not high on Norman, but Bouye should be looked at if it's true.

Either way, i'm pretty sure Big Doug is smart enough to be monitoring the cut list. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:10:19 AM by MBGreen »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 08:17:25 AM »
Rumors are floating around that AJ Bouye and Josh Norman could get cut.  I'm not high on Norman, but Bouye should be looked at if it's true.

Either way, i'm pretty sure Big Doug is smart enough to be monitoring the cut list.

If they're even thinking of moving Bouye, we should offer some sort of compensation for him ASAP.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 08:33:26 AM »
If they're even thinking of moving Bouye, we should offer some sort of compensation for him ASAP.

I agree, but i'm leaning towards these rumors being bogus.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 10:03:19 AM »
If Josh Norman goes to the Jets, I will get his brother to post here.

surviveone part deux
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 10:19:22 AM »
I've seen Cimini float the idea that the Jets could look to bolster the pass rush to help cover up our defunct secondary. But even then options are limited

Maybe we should take Cromartie up on his offer and give him a call

Ornstein

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 05:21:43 PM »
Mo Claiborne must have excrement in Christopher Johnson's cereal one morning to not be brought back at what he got from KC.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 08:36:15 PM »

I think Bouye is a pipe dream for sure, but man if he hits the market, we need to be all over it.
Need a new one for a new board...

Tags: