Author Topic: loltexans  (Read 55019 times)

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
Re: loltexans
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 07:53:16 PM »
the price for clowney has to be lessened by the fact that whoever trades for him cannot sign him to an extension. i wonder what the ultimate price will end up becoming

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 08:42:59 PM »
the price for clowney has to be lessened by the fact that whoever trades for him cannot sign him to an extension. i wonder what the ultimate price will end up becoming

Houston are guaranteed a third next offseason as a comp, but the problem is that neither of the teams he allegedly wants to go to (Philly and Seattle) have a huge amount of cap space - both can afford his $15M tag price, but they won't have much change left in their cap if they do and neither of them are a good DE/LB away from a Super Bowl. I honestly don't see a good fit anywhere.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »
The Eagles are one of the favorites to make it to the Super Bowl without Clowney.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 09:37:29 AM »
It sounds like the Seahawks are deep in talks.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »
The Eagles are one of the favorites to make it to the Super Bowl without Clowney.

Yes, and they already have an outstanding front seven. Clowney isn't going to make a huge difference to them.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 10:05:59 AM »
Yes, and they already have an outstanding front seven. Clowney isn't going to make a huge difference to them.

You can never have enough talent, especially in the front seven. If there's an opportunity to acquire an elite talent like Clowney at a discount, most teams are going to jump at that.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:22:20 AM by Andrew Ryan »

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 10:22:34 AM »
Clowney's getting traded to the Seahawks.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 10:37:43 AM »
You can never have enough talent, especially in the front seven. If there's an opportunity to acquire an elite talent like Clowney at a discount, most teams are going to jump at that.

$15M and a free agent in 6 months' time is not any kind of discount. Again, Clowney is not going to be the difference for Philly this season. Seattle makes a little more sense, but the cap space is still a significant opportunity cost and it sounds like there are multiple players involved.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2019, 10:45:23 AM »
$15M and a free agent in 6 months' time is not any kind of discount. Again, Clowney is not going to be the difference for Philly this season. Seattle makes a little more sense, but the cap space is still a significant opportunity cost and it sounds like there are multiple players involved.

By discount, I was referring to trade compensation. Earlier in the offseason, it would have cost considerably more to acquire Clowney.

You made my point for me, it's a one year deal. If a contending team can fit him under its cap, what better place is there to spend the money, at this stage, than on an elite edge defender?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:50:06 AM by Andrew Ryan »

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2019, 10:52:50 AM »
The Seahawks gave up a 3rd round pick and two no-name linebackers for Clowney.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2019, 10:55:23 AM »
By discount, I was referring to trade compensation. Earlier in the offseason, it would have cost considerably more to acquire Clowney.

You made my point for me, it's a one year deal. If a contending team can fit him under its cap, what better place is there to spend the money, at this stage, than on an elite edge defender?

Ask me in week 2 when we know which key player has gone down injured. Clowney doesn't make the difference for them this year and they may not have him next year, so what's the point in giving anything up for him? It really only makes sense if he signs a long term deal with them after this season, and they could have done that in FA anyway.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2019, 10:57:15 AM »
The Seahawks gave up a 3rd round pick and two no-name linebackers for Clowney.
Houston's GM-less Front office fucked up royally.

Brian Gaine right now

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2019, 11:03:03 AM »
Houston's GM-less Front office fucked up royally.

Brian Gaine right now

Or, and hear me out here, just maybe one season of a supposedly elite pass rusher who hasn't ever had a double digit sack season while playing in the same unit as JJ Watt and costs $15M isn't actually worth very much in a trade.

Clowney's a very good player but I don't think he's a difference maker.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2019, 11:08:42 AM »

He might be the difference in the Seahawks making or missing the playoffs this year in an extremely competitive NFC West.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2019, 11:15:43 AM »
Or, and hear me out here, just maybe one season of a supposedly elite pass rusher who hasn't ever had a double digit sack season while playing in the same unit as JJ Watt and costs $15M isn't actually worth very much in a trade.

Last year was Watt's first healthy season since 2015....i'm not sure he was much of a factor.  I think you're undervaluing Clowney, but you're welcome to that opinion.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Tags: