Author Topic: Potential GM hire  (Read 18625 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: Potential GM hire
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2019, 09:20:01 AM »
Isn't that a normal amount of vacation time for people with real jobs?
dcm with his finger on the pulse of America as always

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
He has a excrement name

we'll probably hire him
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2019, 09:51:16 AM »
The last guy we got from Seattle was a lady garden.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2019, 10:06:31 AM »
dcm with his finger on the pulse of America as always
I assumed most people on this forum were american but it seems every day one of you come out of the attic

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2019, 10:07:23 AM »
The last guy we got from Seattle was a lady garden.

we hired their accountant last time
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2019, 01:10:01 PM »
As much as I disliked the Gase hire, whoever is hired should have the exact same philosophy as Gase regarding roster building/management.

Everything that has happened previously is irrelevant. Right now, the entire focus of this team needs to be getting Gase the players he feels best help execute his vision for the team. Normally, I'd want the GM to have the vision and let him hire a coach that agrees with it, but the milk is spilled, so do it the other way around this time.

If it doesn't work out, this team will need a true scorched earth rebuild anyway. So Johnson needs to go all in with the choices he's already made. Power play or not, this is Gase's team now.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2019, 01:19:11 PM »
If it doesn't work out, this team will need a true scorched earth rebuild anyway.

Another one?

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2019, 01:21:36 PM »
Another one?

Seriously. I don't know who we're going to get to do that, the last two GMs didn't survive their own rebuilding jobs.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2019, 01:36:17 PM »
Seriously. I don't know who we're going to get to do that, the last two GMs didn't survive their own rebuilding jobs.

that's because one had zero player personnel/scouting experience, and the other was too wishy washy in his decision making.

Although i hated Tannenbaum's philosophy of trading away draft picks, he did a better job at running the team than Idzik/Duff/Bradway combined.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2019, 01:37:43 PM »
Another one?

Another one, meaning what? Because there hasn't been one in a really long time for this team. Rex inherited Mangini's roster and tried to tool it to his purposes. Maccagnan took Rex's roster and tried to modify it.

If the combination of Gase and whoever is hired as GM doesn't work out, they should both be fired and the scouting department cleaned out. The next GM should be given full autonomy to bring in his own staff, hire his own coach, and cut anyone on the roster not named Sam or Jamal.

But hopefully, that's a moot point. I'm hoping that 24 months from now I'm happily eating crow over every negative thing I've said about Gase. I don't need to like the guy, I just need him to lead my team to playoff wins.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2019, 01:47:43 PM »
Another one, meaning what? Because there hasn't been one in a really long time for this team.

What would you call cutting your veterans, clearing your cap, and tanking a season to draft a franchise QB at #3? Whether or not it works remains to be seen, but we did do it and that was last year.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »
What would you call cutting your veterans, clearing your cap, and tanking a season to draft a franchise QB at #3? Whether or not it works remains to be seen, but we did do it and that was last year.

we didn't tank our season.  If we were tanking, it wouldn't have cost us three 2nd rounders to move up for Darnold.

Todd Bowles was here to win, baybay.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »

Who'd they cut? Wilkerson? I'll reserve my anger for someone worth the worry.

They didn't clear any cap. Contracts had been designed to create that room in anticipation of that free agent class--specifically Kirk Cousins.

And they didn't tank. They sucked. Part of that was poor roster management, and part of that was terrible coaching. Tanking is purposely sabotaging your team with the intention of losing. The last regime made no such effort, they just weren't any good at winning.

This team has not scorched earth since at least Mangini. I honestly can't remember whether he and Tannenbaum did or not, but certainly, no regime since has done it.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2019, 02:20:03 PM »

Another one, meaning what? Because there hasn't been one in a really long time for this team. Rex inherited Mangini's roster and tried to tool it to his purposes. Maccagnan took Rex's roster and tried to modify it.

Genuinely curious what you think a full rebuild looks like if 2017 didn't qualify for you. Short of Drogon making repeated passes over Florham Park....

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2019, 02:32:44 PM »

Genuinely curious what you think a full rebuild looks like if 2017 didn't qualify for you. Short of Drogon making repeated passes over Florham Park...

I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Seriously, though. What I see as a scorched earth rebuild is completely cleaning house. Fire all the front office and coaching staff and bring in a GM who then picks his HC. Together, they tear down the roster to only the most vital core players (in the current Jets case, Darnold and Adams for sure, then to a lesser degree guys like the Williams linemen, Anderson, Enunwa, and Herndon--if those guys fit your system).

Then you completely revamp the roster via the draft and ignore free agency for a few years until you're ready to grab a "final piece" or two. This team has tried to play it both ways for far too long, often using FA as a means to fill in roster holes left by poor drafting. That's a failing strategy, and I hope this team is finally done with it.

Tags: