Author Topic: Jets fire Mike Maccagnan and Brian Heimerdinger, name Gase as acting GM  (Read 27987 times)

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Jets fire Mike Maccagnan and Brian Heimerdinger, name Gase as acting GM
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2019, 01:21:41 PM »
Duff da Ninja

The issue was never Morse, he was always considered our backup plan (in our fan eyes anyways)
Need a new one for a new board...

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #271 on: September 17, 2019, 09:53:54 AM »
I want them to rehire Mike Maccagnan.

So they can fire him again.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2020, 11:36:22 AM »

https://twitter.com/michael_nania/status/1214561181563645952?s=21

We decided to keep Mike McCagnan to run FA and the draft, and he managed to put together the worst blocking OL and TE’s in the league to protect Sam. Wish we hired Douglas at the beginning of the offseason because it feels like Duff really set our franchise back.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #273 on: January 08, 2020, 12:16:22 PM »

We decided to keep Mike McCagnan to run FA and the draft, and he managed to put together the worst blocking OL and TE’s in the league to protect Sam. Wish we hired Douglas at the beginning of the offseason because it feels like Duff really set our franchise back.

I tweeted you a link to Conner Hughes' latest article from the Athletic.  Hopefully you have a subscription, because it's worth a read.  Joe Douglas goes into detail about how advantageous it was for him to be hired when he was.  It sounds like it should pay dividends for us this offseason.

I'm not saying i disagree about keeping Duff around, but there's another perspective which that article focuses on.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #274 on: January 08, 2020, 01:41:15 PM »

Look who's just outside the top 10. Remember when Gase wanted Fells?

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2020, 10:21:42 PM »
I tweeted you a link to Conner Hughes' latest article from the Athletic.  Hopefully you have a subscription, because it's worth a read.  Joe Douglas goes into detail about how advantageous it was for him to be hired when he was.  It sounds like it should pay dividends for us this offseason.

I'm not saying i disagree about keeping Duff around, but there's another perspective which that article focuses on.
Can you just copy and paste it in the forum?

K thanks, bye

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2020, 11:16:55 PM »

hey douchey Canadian can you post it, asking for a friend.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2020, 11:21:34 PM »
What kind of douche hoards the athletic sub articles to himself? I’m out here slaving away posting Steiny tweets and the board can’t get the hookup? Wow

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2020, 07:44:42 AM »
What kind of douche hoards the athletic sub articles to himself? I’m out here slaving away posting Steiny tweets and the board can’t get the hookup? Wow
Get back to the Dowell research, poopchute!

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #279 on: January 09, 2020, 07:57:01 AM »
here you go, kids.

https://theathletic.com/1516693/2020/01/08/2020-nfl-draft-whats-the-best-case-scenario-for-joe-douglas-and-the-jets/

It was a challenge Mike Maccagnan talked openly about in the years after his first offseason as Jets general manager. Woody Johnson gave him oversight of the team’s roster construction in January 2015. Four months later, he ran his first draft, selecting six players.

But this wasn’t a normal draft for Maccagnan. He had some intel from his time as the Texans’ Director of College Scouting, but that year needed to rely heavily on the information compiled by a scouting department built by the man he replaced — John Idzik.

The results showed.

Not one of the players Maccagnan drafted is still with the team.

Christopher Johnson, Woody’s brother, fired Maccagnan in May. He hired Joe Douglas shortly thereafter. It wasn’t ideal timing, as Maccagnan’s free agency and draft left much to be desired. Luckily for Douglas, he won’t deal with the same obstacles Maccagnan did that first year.

“When you keep the glass half-full, and you look at the time I was able to come in, I was able to be with the football operations side,” Douglas said. “I didn’t have to rush through implementing a grading scale change, implementing a new philosophy. You didn’t have to hit the ground running with all-star games and the combine right around the corner.

“I really got to get your processes in place, communicate with the people on your staff about what expectations are, how processes are going to change, and what the grading scale’s going to be. We were able to have some exercises in the summer, do some summer work as far as getting guys used to the new grading scale. Not to bore you with all those details, but there were a lot, lot, of benefits of starting when I did.”

The draft is supposed to be Douglas’ speciality, the result from cutting his teeth under one of the greatest talent evaluators in NFL history, Ozzie Newsome. This will be his first chance to show what he can do making all final decisions.

So what’s the best-case scenario for Douglas and the Jets come April?

Here are some options if they trade back from the No. 11 pick, stay put, or look to move up.

Trading back

Douglas spoke about the “strong core” of Jets players he believes can be the foundation for “a lot of future success.” Safety Jamal Adams is already an all-pro while quarterback Sam Darnold is a budding franchise quarterback. New York invested the third overall pick in defensive lineman Quinnen Williams in 2019. There are a handful of others with the potential to develop into difference makers, too.

But the Jets began the season 1-7 for a reason. They’ve missed the postseason nine-straight years for a reason. Johnson gave Douglas a six-year contract for a reason.

This team is still far away from realistically contending for a Super Bowl. If the ideal receiver or offensive lineman isn’t there at No. 11, Douglas could look to trade back to recoup additional draft assets.

After Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa officially declared for the draft, four or five quarterbacks could hear their names called in the first round. LSU’s Joe Burrow and Tagovailoa will likely be the first off the board, with Jordan Love (Utah State), Justin Herbert (Oregon) and Washington’s Jacob Eason to follow.

The Bengals (No. 1), Dolphins (No. 5) and Chargers (No. 6) are the lone teams selecting before the Jets in need of a quarterback. The Raiders (No. 12) and Bucs (No. 14) could look to jump one another to get to the Jets’ selection and grab the next passer.

Douglas might move back a few selections to recoup an additional second- or third-rounder to aid in the talent infusion. That could be useful, considering the Jets need three new starting linemen, two corners, a No. 1 wideout, and depth, well, pretty much everywhere.

Staying put

While not as high as many thought it would be during that terrible 1-7 start, the No. 11 selection is a decent one for what the Jets need. Linemen, cornerback, receiver and pass rusher are atop their list. This class is deep with three of the four, assuming Ohio State defensive end Chase Young doesn’t slide.

Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy is the consensus top wideout in the class. He might fall to the Jets if enough teams trade up for quarterbacks, but, in all likelihood, he’ll be gone. His pass-catching college teammate Henry Ruggs will be there. He’s good. So too should CeeDee Lamb (Oklahoma) and Tee Higgins (Clemson).

There are differing opinions among talent evaluators when it comes to the ranking of the top three tackles in the draft — Georgia’s Andrew Thomas,  Iowa’s Tristian Wirfs and Alabama’s Jedrick Willis. The next few weeks should sort that out. Our Dane Brugler has Willis as the top tackle, and off the board well before the Jets pick. Wirfs or Thomas should be there for Douglas. There’s a steep dropoff after that, though.

At corner, Ohio State’s Jeff Okudah might be the best defensive player not named Chase Young. It’s highly unlikely he’s there when the Jets pick. LSU’s Kristian Fulton should be, but it’s hard to imagine the Jets draft him over a wideout or lineman. There’s not enough value.

Trading up

While it’s enticing considering what Young would bring to the defense, it seems unlikely. The Jets have far too many holes to give away selections for one player. While they’d love Young, they can’t part with the capital it would take to get up from No. 11 to No. 2.

What the Jets could do, though, is move back into the first round if a player they value begins to slide. The Jets have a second-round pick and two third-rounders this year, thanks to Dave Gettleman’s mind-boggling decision to trade for defensive end Leonard Williams. That Giants third-round pick is extra valuable because it’s a top-five selection in the round.

If Oklahoma guard Creed Humphrey or Wisconsin center Tyler Biadasz slip toward the end of the first, the Jets could package their second and one of their thirds, or a 2021 pick, to go up and get someone they believe will start from Day 1. Coming away with Wirfs/Thomas, then Biadasz, and signing Patriots guard Joe Thuney would completely revamp their putrid front.

Alabama corners Trevon Diggs and Xavier McKinney, along with Florida’s CJ Henderson, are candidates if the Jets look outside the line. Like Biadasz, they’d all slide in as immediate starters.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #280 on: January 09, 2020, 09:00:04 AM »
No tradeups SZN

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #281 on: January 09, 2020, 09:00:54 AM »
2 OL with our first 4 picks and Douglas can stay

2 OL and at least 1 WR with first 4 picks. I will allow for RB/TE/OL/EDGE/CB with our 2nd 3rd rounder.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:04:00 AM by SixFeetDeep »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #282 on: January 09, 2020, 09:05:36 AM »
Hopefully Joe Douglas has the opposite draft philosophy of whatever Mike Maccagnans trash derriere BPA strategy was

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #283 on: January 09, 2020, 09:06:35 AM »
3 DL incoming

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #284 on: January 09, 2020, 11:00:08 AM »
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Tags: