Author Topic: Jets fire Mike Maccagnan and Brian Heimerdinger, name Gase as acting GM  (Read 27991 times)

ons

• Chad Pennington
People keep saying "I'll give him a chance until he gives me a reason not to." What is going to qualify as a good reason? Literal murder? Will that be enough?

When the Jets start losing games. Everything else is noise.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Bingo

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.

Okay.

But wouldn't it be cool to never get to that point? I mean, no one watches a car stall on train tracks and just thinks "Let's wait this out, see what happens."
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

Rex and Bowles won games initially and according to general consensus here they were awful coaches
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Rex and Bowles won games initially and according to general consensus here they were awful coaches

I'm terrified Gase is going to win 7 games and it will buy him time to dismantle the team.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
I’ve been saying the only way the Gase hire will be worth it to me is if Darnold develops into a top QB. Even then I’m not sure how much of that can be attributed to Gase since I think Darnold is the real deal. I think he could have taken the next step with McCarthy, Kingsbury, Rhule, etc. coaching. Gase is going to have to be one hell of a coach to make up for what appears to be a penchant for dysfunction and conflict with players and the front office.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
I'm terrified Gase is going to win 7 games and it will buy him time to dismantle the team.

Gase could win 3 games and still have the caveat that he didn’t get to pick any of the players

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
I’ve been saying the only way the Gase hire will be worth it to me is if Darnold develops into a top QB. Even then I’m not sure how much of that can be attributed to Gase since I think Darnold is the real deal. I think he could have taken the next step with McCarthy, Kingsbury, Rhule, etc. coaching. Gase is going to have to be one hell of a coach to make up for what appears to be a penchant for dysfunction and conflict with players and the front office.

The one thing I'm not concerned about with Gase is ruining Sam; for all his many faults he does know what he's doing with QBs, and I think Sam is probably a strong enough player and character to continue developing regardless of what else is happening around him. It's a bit pointless if the rest of the team is falling into shambles around him though.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Gase could win 3 games and still have the caveat that he didn’t get to pick any of the players

That's true. But defending 3 wins is a lot harder than defending "We were in the playoff hunt in November."

And I don't think Adams is going to be too quiet if the Jets are sitting on 3 wins in December.

Best-case is that you and I are wrong and happily eating crow while hosting a game or two in January. But I'm hoping that if Gase is the guy we think he is, that he shows it a lot sooner than later--before he does irreparable harm to the roster.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Okay.

But wouldn't it be cool to never get to that point? I mean, no one watches a car stall on train tracks and just thinks "Let's wait this out, see what happens."
Because literally nothing you posted as your complaints are relevant or important. Winning is all that matters.

All the nonsense has shortened his leash if things go wrong, but if his biggest issue so far can be fixed by just wearing a hat, whatever.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Because literally nothing you posted as your complaints are relevant or important. Winning is all that matters.

All the nonsense has shortened his leash if things go wrong, but if his biggest issue so far can be fixed by just wearing a hat, whatever.

Sure, winning is all that matters.

But is he going to win? What's on his resume that makes anyone believe he will? That he happened to be Peyton Manning's coach during a Super Bowl run?

There's a lot of history that says Gase is not going to be successful, and not much that says he will. I'm not rooting for him to fail, but I am expecting it. And if he wrecks the team in the process, that wastes precious years of Darnold's rookie deal.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Sure, winning is all that matters.

But is he going to win? What's on his resume that makes anyone believe he will? That he happened to be Peyton Manning's coach during a Super Bowl run?

There's a lot of history that says Gase is not going to be successful, and not much that says he will. I'm not rooting for him to fail, but I am expecting it. And if he wrecks the team in the process, that wastes precious years of Darnold's rookie deal.
Those are all valid concerns but those are the same concerns we had in January, and they're the same concerns we would have about literally any coach.

Almost any coach you hire is either available because hes being promoted from a lesser role or fired from the same role. Gase fits the latter.

Gase wasnt my top choice. Monken was. But who knows if Monken is any good either? Or any other coach you may have wanted.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Those are all valid concerns but those are the same concerns we had in January, and they're the same concerns we would have about literally any coach.

Almost any coach you hire is either available because hes being promoted from a lesser role or fired from the same role. Gase fits the latter.

Gase wasnt my top choice. Monken was. But who knows if Monken is any good either? Or any other coach you may have wanted.

Some of my concerns with Gase are nothing like concerns I've ever had with an incoming coach or any of the other people who were under consideration this year.

He seems like a real poopchute. I'm not saying a guy has to be personable like Herm or Rex, but if you're not as good as Parcells or Belichick, you had better get your attitude in check. And I don't think Gase is threatening either Bill's legacies.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
With Jordan Leggett gone, the #Jets' tight-end depth chart looks like this:

Chris Herndon

Rookie Trevon Wesco (Y)

Daniel Brown (Y)

Eric Tomlinson (Y)

Neal Sterling

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets have fired scout Bill Dekraker, following last week’s jettisoning of previous G.M. Mike Maccagnan.

Gase said yesterday that he wanted to focus on coaching the team, but according to the report, he’s telling people he wants to streamline Maccagnan’s old personnel department, apparently beginning with a scout Maccagnan hired.

While the departure of a scout won’t register on most radars, it’s another blip on the screen. Since Maccagnan’s ouster, Gase has traded away linebacker Darron Lee, signed another punter and cut a Maccagnan draft pick (Jordan Leggett).

PFT

Tags: