Author Topic: Top players remaining day 2  (Read 7143 times)

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
Re: Top players remaining day 2
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »
1.) I don't trust Maccagnan to accurately assess value in a trade
2.) I don't trust Maccagnan to pick a contributor in the 2nd round
3.) Giving up multiple picks to trade in the mid-rounds is statistically a terrible decision
4.) Using your future 1st to move up into the 2nd when your team has picked in the top 10 for the last forever is hilariously awful management

Please don't trade up.

Agree on 2-4.  I think Maccagnan has been a fantastic trader, though. 

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2019, 04:25:29 PM »
Agree on 2-4.  I think Maccagnan has been a fantastic trader, though. 

In trading outside the draft, sure. At the times we have traded in the draft (though all down) I don't think we got much value in return for how much we gave up. His background is in scouting as well. Not saying it would definitively go wrong but I would certainly worry about it.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2019, 04:26:04 PM »
Agreed on all counts

I’ll even add one.

As critical as this draft is for the future of the franchise, next years is the most important since the 2010 year. going into Darnolds year 3, with (hopefully) year 2 in the same offense, Brady being 43 years old, that’s the year we need to win the division. The 2020 offseason is far more important than this one. Giving away high picks in that draft strongly reduces our chances of ramping up that offseason to its best possible level.

2020 is the year we make crazy future trades when we try to go all in. This year was about stockpiling assets to make the big push next year. If we make this move we freak both of those things squarely in the derriere.

Unless of course we grab a future hall of gamer. But let’s be real, what’s the chances of anything like that?
I don't want to trade a future 1st-round pick, but the idea that a pick in 2020 is more important than a pick in 2019 is ridiculous. Picks in 2019 are more important than picks in 2020. If you use the pick this year instead of next year, you'll have a young player in Year 2 in 2020 instead of Year 1. A 2nd-year player is more likely to help next year's roster than a 1st-year player. If you want to win the division next year, relying on rookies is not the way to do it.

reuben

• Al Toon
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2019, 04:31:46 PM »
In trading outside the draft, sure. At the times we have traded in the draft (though all down) I don't think we got much value in return for how much we gave up. His background is in scouting as well. Not saying it would definitively go wrong but I would certainly worry about it.

Trading a future mid-round pick for a developmental tackle prospect has paid off about as well as can be expected. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2019, 04:42:53 PM »
We're still at least a year away from serious contention. I'm strongly opposed to trading any future picks.

Bingo. Any major move involving next year’s picks reeks of desperation
Need a new one for a new board...

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2019, 04:49:08 PM »
I don't want to trade a future 1st-round pick, but the idea that a pick in 2020 is more important than a pick in 2019 is ridiculous. Picks in 2019 are more important than picks in 2020. If you use the pick this year instead of next year, you'll have a young player in Year 2 in 2020 instead of Year 1. A 2nd-year player is more likely to help next year's roster than a 1st-year player. If you want to win the division next year, relying on rookies is not the way to do it.

Trading a possible top 10 pick next year for a pick in the late 30s this year is bad business. No matter how you slice it, a guy we can pick in the top 10-15 a year ago SHOULD be a more talented player/better prospect than we could get today.

It’s not trading a future pick for a nearly equivalent pick in this year’s draft. It’s about the idea we might be trading a potentially elite talent for a top 40 talent. Yes the guy we get today will be in year two. But if next year we took a player equivalent to Devin Bush (who just went 10 yesterday) that guy could be a huge contributor for us even as a rookie.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2019, 04:53:36 PM »
Trading a possible top 10 pick next year for a pick in the late 30s this year is bad business. No matter how you slice it, a guy we can pick in the top 10-15 a year ago SHOULD be a more talented player/better prospect than we could get today.

It’s not trading a future pick for a nearly equivalent pick in this year’s draft. It’s about the idea we might be trading a potentially elite talent for a top 40 talent. Yes the guy we get today will be in year two. But if next year we took a player equivalent to Devin Bush (who just went 10 yesterday) that guy could be a huge contributor for us even as a rookie.
I am with you that I'm not dying to trade a future 1st-round pick, but if the Jets end up getting someone this year they have a top-20 grade on, and they end up giving up a pick between 20-32 next year, that could end up being a decent trade if the goal is to win big during Darnold's rookie deal. The No. 25 prospect in Year 2 probably helps us more in 2020 than the No. 12 prospect in Year 1.

If we're picking in the top 10 next year, we fucked up. Granted, that's definitely a possibility given this franchise.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2019, 05:06:03 PM »
Would you rather have another definite starter at center, edge, or corner

Or

Wait for the talent to be depleted to grab a few role players in Round 3

?

That's a loaded question.

I would love a starting center or edge guy though I'm not sure I want to spend big on a corner.

But I don't want any of them at the expense of next year's first-round pick. If you could guarantee me a Khalil Mack, yes, I'd trade away a future #1 (like I would've done this year) but not for a draftee who has yet to prove a thing in the pros.

We're still at least a year away from serious contention. I'm strongly opposed to trading any future picks.

I agree with the rest of the stuff you posted, but exactly this.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2019, 05:06:33 PM »
I don’t want Nathan Shepherd redux

Forgot about Foley Fatukasi. Glad we spent a 2019 pick for a guy to be like 7th on the depth chart
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

reuben

• Al Toon
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2019, 05:16:36 PM »
You give me a 2nd rounder for our third round pick and Darron Lee, I'll take that excrement. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
You give me a 2nd rounder for our third round pick and Darron Lee, I'll take that excrement. 

That I think is about the only trade up is going to end up making sense to me.

Oddly enough I bet this doesn’t happen. I’d wager that we go bonkers for a top 40 pick, and then trade Lee to a different team for a 4 or a 5 to get any sort of draft capital back
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 05:23:50 PM by Libero_2 »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2019, 05:23:50 PM »

I'd take that deal. If Maccagnan makes that one, I'll pull back on him. But I don't care how talented a corner is available if he picks anything but offense or edge with it, fire him before he gets a chance to turn in the card.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2019, 11:13:39 AM »
told you Arizona would draft Butler lol

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »
told you Arizona would draft Butler lol

Damn them. But he was the best on the board by far