Author Topic: Top players remaining day 2  (Read 7134 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: Top players remaining day 2
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2019, 03:42:54 PM »
If Maccagnan gives up next year's first rounder, I don't care who it's for other than an already established pro, I'm done with him.
If there is a player that you have a 1st-round grade on, it's not terrible to trade a future 1st-round pick for him. I'm not saying I want to do that, but if they think DK Metcalf for example is a top-15 prospect in this draft, moving a future 1st for him is a good move.

On an unrelated note - if Maccagnan really is on the hot seat, he's far more likely to make a splash moving back into the 2nd round today.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2019, 03:47:13 PM »
Would you rather have another definite starter at center, edge, or corner

Or

Wait for the talent to be depleted to grab a few role players in Round 3

?

I don’t want Nathan Shepherd redux
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2019, 03:48:30 PM »

Or

?

I would love to draft a superstar in the 2nd round.  Let me know when that happens. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2019, 03:54:22 PM »

Or

?

Obviously option 1.

But you left out that we also need to give up the option to grab a sure starter / potential star next year if we give up our first rounder to do it.

And with the talent in rounds 2-4 this year we have a better chance of grabbing starters in round 3 than normal.
Need a new one for a new board...

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2019, 03:57:37 PM »
Any time you give up a future 1st you're playing with fire. If you're going to do that you have to have at least a late 1st round grade on the player you're moving up for.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2019, 03:59:41 PM »
I would move up for Jawaan Taylor (assuming his medicals are fine) but not for Greedy or DK.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2019, 04:01:28 PM »
Thank christ we have an excellent track record drafting in the 2nd round.

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2019, 04:01:55 PM »
Any time you give up a future 1st you're playing with fire. If you're going to do that you have to have at least a late 1st round grade on the player you're moving up for.
Agreed, though if Maccagnan doesn't think he'll be here in 2020, he has little reason to hang onto 2020 picks.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2019, 04:04:49 PM »
I would move up for Jawaan Taylor (assuming his medicals are fine) but not for Greedy or DK.

If you want to make that move it has to be for an offensive lineman in my opinion. Sams future is the only thing that matters. We have a strong (not elite) group of playmakers, so that’s not it. Yeah we need a corner but if you give up a future 1 for Greedy he better be the best corner ever, because we don’t have the funds to get a number of O-Lineman to keep Sam upright.

If we make this move it absolutely has to be for a lineman. Taylor, McCoy or Risner IMO.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2019, 04:06:19 PM »
Thank christ we have an excellent track record drafting in the 2nd round.

David Harris and Marcus Maye are the only tangible guys we’ve drafted in round 2 in like 15 years. Hell I’d bet going back to 2000 those are 2 of maybe 4 second rounders that started 10 or more games for us consecutively.

Hell the only other names I can even think of that might have done it are John McGraw, Justin Miller and Mike Nugent

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2019, 04:09:12 PM »
1.) I don't trust Maccagnan to accurately assess value in a trade
2.) I don't trust Maccagnan to pick a contributor in the 2nd round
3.) Giving up multiple picks to trade in the mid-rounds is statistically a terrible decision
4.) Using your future 1st to move up into the 2nd when your team has picked in the top 10 for the last forever is hilariously awful management

Please don't trade up.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2019, 04:11:04 PM »
3.) Giving up multiple picks to trade in the mid-rounds is statistically a terrible decision
4.) Using your future 1st to move up into the 2nd when your team has picked in the top 10 for the last forever is hilariously awful management

Please don't trade up.

I agree with all of this.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2019, 04:18:32 PM »
Trading our 1st next year would be additionally risky because let's say a great defensive player like Clowney or Ramsey became available, you'd probably prefer to still have that capital at your disposal.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2019, 04:18:39 PM »

Please don't trade up.

Agreed on all counts

I’ll even add one.

As critical as this draft is for the future of the franchise, next years is the most important since the 2010 year. going into Darnolds year 3, with (hopefully) year 2 in the same offense, Brady being 43 years old, that’s the year we need to win the division. The 2020 offseason is far more important than this one. Giving away high picks in that draft strongly reduces our chances of ramping up that offseason to its best possible level.

2020 is the year we make crazy future trades when we try to go all in. This year was about stockpiling assets to make the big push next year. If we make this move we freak both of those things squarely in the derriere.

Unless of course we grab a future hall of gamer. But let’s be real, what’s the chances of anything like that?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 04:20:11 PM by Libero_2 »

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2019, 04:21:43 PM »
We're still at least a year away from serious contention. I'm strongly opposed to trading any future picks.

Tags: