Author Topic: The Curious Case of Adam Gase  (Read 311617 times)

klaximilian

• Laveranues Coles
Re: The Curious Case of Adam Gase - freaking Fired
« Reply #2265 on: April 28, 2020, 01:25:59 PM »
Bollocks. I don't believe that there's any way he will be successful as a head coach, here or anywhere else, so I don't want to see him taking a long time to prove it. I'd much rather he completed his failure quickly so we can get on with actually hiring someone suited to the job, so in that sense I'm absolutely rooting for him to fail because it's by far our best chance of the team succeeding.

Put your cup on.

I dislike like Gase as much as the next guy, but in no way am I ever going to root for him or my team to fail. I could never get on board with that mentality.

No disrespect, but believing that you know more about Gase than the man in charge, Joe Douglas, is wildly arrogant. Just my $.02.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2266 on: April 28, 2020, 01:33:38 PM »
Put your cup on.

I dislike like Gase as much as the next guy, but in no way am I ever going to root for him or my team to fail. I could never get on board with that mentality.

No disrespect, but believing that you know more about Gase than the man in charge, Joe Douglas, is wildly arrogant. Just my $.02.

You're assuming that Douglas has belief in Gase. The fact that his FAs are almost all one year deals if we want them to be rather suggests that he's not currently building a long term roster in Adam Gase's image.

So we're clear, I'm not rooting for the Jets to fail. I'm rooting for Gase's inability to be a head coach who can win a Super Bowl to be clearly demonstrated as quickly as possible, so that Chris Johnson will wake the freak up and let Joe get on with hiring a head coach who can.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #2267 on: April 28, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »

Well if it weren't for our collective delusional arrogance then we wouldn't have much of a message board, would we.

What is sports fandom without the Dunning-Kruger effect?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2268 on: April 28, 2020, 02:02:18 PM »
Well if it weren't for our collective delusional arrogance then we wouldn't have much of a message board, would we.

This is why I'm concerned about sports like hockey and soccer resuming in empty arenas and stadia. Every game is going to be dull as freak and finish 0-0, because without fans there to tell the players when to shoot they're not going to know.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #2269 on: April 28, 2020, 02:02:34 PM »

Very true, bless your heart for the sig.

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2270 on: April 28, 2020, 02:37:46 PM »
The record still has to matter. We can't be looking for moral victories, Brady is gone, the division is finally in play like every other division. Yes, we play some good teams, so what? Beat them if you're a good team, at least enough of them to give yourself a chance.
My point was more so the reverse.

If the jets make the playoffs because our Defense is ranked #1 in the league and our offense is ranked 30th again, then Gase should be canned.  Gase is the headcoach, but he pretty much has a laissez faire relationship with the defense and special teams.

Gase was brought in here to help Sam Darnold become a franchise quarterback.  If he can't do that we need to find someone else who can, and that can be in the form of a new head coach or promoting Gregg and hiring an offensive coordinator.

klaximilian

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #2271 on: April 28, 2020, 02:49:03 PM »

No argument here.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2272 on: April 28, 2020, 02:51:12 PM »
You're assuming that Douglas has belief in Gase. The fact that his FAs are almost all one year deals if we want them to be rather suggests that he's not currently building a long term roster in Adam Gase's image.

So we're clear, I'm not rooting for the Jets to fail. I'm rooting for Gase's inability to be a head coach who can win a Super Bowl to be clearly demonstrated as quickly as possible, so that Chris Johnson will wake the freak up and let Joe get on with hiring a head coach who can.

This right here.

I want the Jets to go 19-0 every single year. Every one. But I don’t think that’s going to happen, and I damn sure have serious doubts about the leader we have on the field in Gase helping us move in that direction.

I don’t believe JD is married to Gase and I believe that his moves this year (mostly 1-2 yr deals) were done for 3 reasons. 1. No idea if Gase is going to last. 2. We are trying NOT to commit big time to FAs, especially this class. None of these guys were set to be major building blocks to what we think a championship caliber squad would be. 3. Douglas wants to build through the draft. The plan was sign guys to give us the chance to compete today while our draftees develop and take over in the medium to long term range.
Need a new one for a new board...

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2273 on: April 28, 2020, 03:15:45 PM »
This is stupid.

So you think Douglas took the Jets job, knowing he would be hamstrung with a head coach he didn't like for a year and a half? And signing FAs to 1-year deals is your evidence?

Why wouldn't Douglas just wait 8 months and take a job with a better roster and a better ownership situation and a head coach he can pick, rather than wait 20 months? That's insane logic. I get that you don't like Gase, but be rational.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2274 on: April 28, 2020, 03:20:21 PM »
Personally, I would rather root for our current coach to succeed. There's no guarantee the next coach will succeed, so I'll root for the current coach to succeed, until he proves to me he can't coach. And maybe that next coach will get more than a month of leeway.

You judge Gase based on Darnold and the team success. Last year was a mixed bag, but it was year 1, and he had a ton of injuries, including at the QB position. Once QB got stabilized and Darnold got healthy, the team played decently. Now, the team needs to take a step forward, with Darnold leading the way. If they don't, Gase will be firmly on the hot seat if not fired.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2275 on: April 28, 2020, 03:23:42 PM »
This is stupid.

So you think Douglas took the Jets job, knowing he would be hamstrung with a head coach he didn't like for a year and a half? And signing FAs to 1-year deals is your evidence?

Why wouldn't Douglas just wait 8 months and take a job with a better roster and a better ownership situation and a head coach he can pick, rather than wait 20 months? That's insane logic. I get that you don't like Gase, but be rational.

You're right, that is insane logic. How did you manage to extrapolate that from what I wrote?

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2276 on: April 28, 2020, 03:25:40 PM »
You're right, that is insane logic. How did you manage to extrapolate that from what I wrote?
You implied that Douglas doesn't believe in Gase. So I replied how that is stupid logic. Not rocket science.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2277 on: April 28, 2020, 03:28:31 PM »
You implied that Douglas doesn't believe in Gase. So I replied how that is stupid logic. Not rocket science.

That isn't what you said at all. I'm about to go on a conference call, see if you can figure out over the next half hour or so what the rather more rational sequence of events looks like.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2278 on: April 28, 2020, 03:40:37 PM »
That isn't what you said at all. I'm about to go on a conference call, see if you can figure out over the next half hour or so what the rather more rational sequence of events looks like.
The most rational sequence of events is...

1. Adam Gase got Maccagnan fired.
2. The Jets hired Joe Douglas because he was the best candidate, and because he had a good working relationship with Gase, who was largely in charge at that point.
3. Joe Douglas and Adam Gase are now working together to build the best Jets roster possible. If that fails, then Gase will be the first fall guy since Douglas has a longer leash.

The idea that Douglas doesn't have faith in Gase isn't rational, so please explain it to me. Because that either means:
- He took the job last year, knowing he was stuck with a coach he didn't like
- He took the job last year with trust in Gase, then lost faith in Gase over 8 months, but didn't have enough clout to get him fired.

Neither of those make that much sense. Douglas had all the leverage in April.
- Why would he take a job with a coach he hated?
- Why would he take a job where the ownership would ignore his recommendation to fire a coach?
- Why would he stick with a coach he doesn't believe in?
At least one of those has to be true for your implication to be right.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #2279 on: April 28, 2020, 03:47:28 PM »
Personally, I would rather root for our current coach to succeed. There's no guarantee the next coach will succeed, so I'll root for the current coach to succeed, until he proves to me he can't coach. And maybe that next coach will get more than a month of leeway.

You judge Gase based on Darnold and the team success. Last year was a mixed bag, but it was year 1, and he had a ton of injuries, including at the QB position. Once QB got stabilized and Darnold got healthy, the team played decently. Now, the team needs to take a step forward, with Darnold leading the way. If they don't, Gase will be firmly on the hot seat if not fired.

As a head coach, he's 30-35 and has never had an offense ranked higher than 24th overall. What's worse his offense has declined in overall ranking YoY.

What part of that makes you think that he can coach?

Tags: