Author Topic: The Curious Case of Adam Gase  (Read 315408 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: The Curious Case of Adam Gase - freaking Fired
« Reply #2655 on: September 16, 2020, 03:55:23 PM »
Joe Douglas is blameless imo.  His only flaw is that he thinks Gase is competent.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #2656 on: September 16, 2020, 04:05:53 PM »
He rebuilt the entire offensive line in one offseason.  It's going to take a while to fix everything.  I figured we'd start to see some fingers pointed at Joe Douglas. 

I am all for giving Joe D the time he needs to rebuild the team.

All I'm saying is when our skill players on offense are this pathetic.  You couple that with an imbecile of a coach and you will see the same putrid performance week after week. How can you tell the fanbase you're looking to compete if you don't improve the roster with short term band-aids?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #2657 on: September 16, 2020, 04:07:50 PM »
I am all for giving Joe D the time he needs to rebuild the team.

All I'm saying is when our skill players on offense are this pathetic.  You couple that with an imbecile of a coach and you will see the same putrid performance week after week. How can you tell the fanbase you're looking to compete if you don't improve the roster with short term band-aids?

his short term band-aids were Perriman and Doctson. 
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2658 on: September 16, 2020, 04:10:13 PM »
his short term band-aids were Perriman and Doctson. 

I think the operative words in loyal's post were "improve the roster".
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #2659 on: September 16, 2020, 04:11:49 PM »
I think the operative words in loyal's post were "improve the roster".

they're short term band-aids....improving the roster was never gonna happen under Gase.  No matter who JD signs.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2660 on: September 16, 2020, 04:21:16 PM »
He rebuilt the entire offensive line in one offseason.  It's going to take a while to fix everything.  I figured we'd start to see some fingers pointed at Joe Douglas. 
I think it's fair to be critical of Joe Douglas. I'm very much a believer in him. I'm fully on board.

But outside of the OL, is any unit on this team better than last year? We clearly needed a starting CB, and the guy he signed got benched in the 2nd quarter. He's gotten unlucky at WR with injuries, but I think everyone on this board wanted us to do more at WR. And we didn't really do anything at EDGE other than draft Zuniga and resign Jenkins.

I'm very patient with Douglas, and I don't expect him to overhaul the team in one offseason. But I do think he should have done more at WR.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2661 on: September 16, 2020, 04:23:14 PM »
they're short term band-aids....improving the roster was never gonna happen under Gase.  No matter who JD signs.

Replacing Anderson with Perriman indisputably weakened it. That was purely a financial decision.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2662 on: September 16, 2020, 05:22:14 PM »
I'm very patient with Douglas

He clearly has a plan.  If it works out, I don't know.  But I'm willing to watch it play out...
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2663 on: September 16, 2020, 06:41:43 PM »
He clearly has a plan.  If it works out, I don't know.  But I'm willing to watch it play out...

That is more than we can say for our last two GM's. Given that alone, I am interested to watch it play out
Need a new one for a new board...

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2664 on: September 16, 2020, 06:57:28 PM »

Let's be real, the guard positions are just bandaged, not rebuilt. That would be like the Khalil signing working out and saying the center position was fixed last season.

Replacing Perriman for Anderson so far looks like a mistake, sven if it saved us $8million in cap space next season.

I'm being patient but I'd say he's 50/50 with FAs and a massive question mark on the draft until all our picks get healthy.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 06:59:10 PM by CatoTheElder »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2665 on: September 16, 2020, 07:15:06 PM »
Let's be real, the guard positions are just bandaged, not rebuilt. That would be like the Khalil signing working out and saying the center position was fixed last season.

Replacing Perriman for Anderson so far looks like a mistake, sven if it saved us $8million in cap space next season.

I'm being patient but I'd say he's 50/50 with FAs and a massive question mark on the draft until all our picks get healthy.

The one thing I will say about our OGs is if either works out as a starter this year (unlikely after Sunday's play) they are on cheap deals which is great for interior guys. In the event that they don't work out they can be cut for almost nothing. But I think GVR's contract is actually really quality for a backup OL as he ages. He could easily be replaced and be an excellent interior swing guy for depth purposes who can still play a bit when called upon. So I honestly expect him to stick around for a while (albeit not as a starter beyond this year). 
Need a new one for a new board...

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2666 on: September 16, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »

Well, it depends how Cameron Clark works out. If he hit on Clark in the 4th round, then we have one OG spot for the future filled. Obviously we have no idea how Clark will be.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #2667 on: September 16, 2020, 07:32:34 PM »
I said it most of last season and all offseason leading up to free agency and the draft, I didn't want any investment into defense other than EDGE--including corner.

It's year three of a top-3 pick QB's career. This was a make-or-break year for Darnold and almost every acquisition should have been made with the intention of improving his supporting cast. The OL deserves time to gel, but the dearth of high-quality skill players on offense bothers me.

There are only 2 ways to make sense of the Jets' offseason: 1) Douglas' hands were tied by Johnson or 2) he wasn't investing into a QB and HC he doesn't plan to keep going forward.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #2668 on: September 17, 2020, 02:40:32 AM »
I said it most of last season and all offseason leading up to free agency and the draft, I didn't want any investment into defense other than EDGE--including corner.

It's year three of a top-3 pick QB's career. This was a make-or-break year for Darnold and almost every acquisition should have been made with the intention of improving his supporting cast. The OL deserves time to gel, but the dearth of high-quality skill players on offense bothers me.

There are only 2 ways to make sense of the Jets' offseason: 1) Douglas' hands were tied by Johnson or 2) he wasn't investing into a QB and HC he doesn't plan to keep going forward.

Next year there will be a excrement ton of FA WRs, this year there were almost none. As for why he didn’t invest more draft picks on WRs, no freaking clue.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement

Tags: