Author Topic: The Curious Case of Adam Gase  (Read 316350 times)

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
Re: The Curious Case of Adam Gase - freaking Fired
« Reply #2250 on: April 28, 2020, 03:02:52 AM »
Johnny English isn't wrong about anything he's said. I would just rather lean towards optimism, and I've had no reason to think otherwise so far. We did this with Idzik. We did this with Maccagnan. We will do it with the next GM after Douglas.

Some GMs will get more rope than others. Idzik squandered his good will very quickly, and he was dragged down by his combination with Rex. Maccagnan squandered most of his good will, and then Gase probably rightfully got him fired.

And we will do it with 95% of coaches, too, with Gase being one of the rare exceptions. But most fans will be optimistic about whomever we hire after Gase. I gave Rex a lot of rope. I was quick to turn on Bowles. We'll see with Gase.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #2251 on: April 28, 2020, 06:12:58 AM »
i can solve a rubiks cube and i have no business being anywhere near an NFL head coaching gig haha. but good for that kid, he was having fun. there was a point where he was trying to get his dad's attention while the camera was on them and gase completely ignored him the entire time. i understand that gase's head was probably deep in the goings-on of the team, but he's such a fuckin autist

Gase is busy scheming ways to ruin the next family Thanksgiving
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

insanity

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #2252 on: April 28, 2020, 07:00:15 AM »
I think everyone would be in agreement there. If this team underperforms especially on offense this year Gase is gone. Our sights should be set on a wildcard berth, I don’t think that’s unreasonable.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I dont care what the jets record is this year.  The only thing that should determine whether gase keeps his job is how good darnold plays and how good this offense is.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2253 on: April 28, 2020, 07:12:24 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I dont care what the jets record is this year.  The only thing that should determine whether gase keeps his job is how good darnold plays and how good this offense is.

This is the only reasonable answer

We have a tough schedule and a lot of young players
Missing the playoffs is reasonable. Sam not taking a big 3rd year leap is unacceptable

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #2254 on: April 28, 2020, 09:45:38 AM »
The record still has to matter. We can't be looking for moral victories, Brady is gone, the division is finally in play like every other division. Yes, we play some good teams, so what? Beat them if you're a good team, at least enough of them to give yourself a chance.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2255 on: April 28, 2020, 10:00:29 AM »

He's the head coach.  Everything should be taken into account. 

If Darnold takes the next step and throws for 30 TDs but the team is still losing a lot of football games, a change should be considered. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2256 on: April 28, 2020, 11:16:09 AM »
He's the head coach.  Everything should be taken into account. 

If Darnold takes the next step and throws for 30 TDs but the team is still losing a lot of football games, a change should be considered. 

Couldn’t agree more. Gase was brought here  to win Super Bowls. The best path to doing that is to develop Darnold first and foremost. But if Sam becomes the best QB in football, it doesn’t matter if we still can only go 7-9.

If Gase isn’t moving us towards winning rings, Sams progress is only partially relevant.

It also bears pointing out, that even if Gase develops Sam as a player, that does NOT preclude any other coach from bringing Sam along as well as the rest of the team. I was of the mindset we never should have hired him, and we should have fired him at the end of the year. I think Sam needs more help than what Gase’s atrocious scheme last year provided.

Now that we have an offensive line and added a young exciting weapon in Mims as we head into year 2 of the offense Gase has no excuses left. Especially when you add the fact our atrocious injury luck last year will at least somewhat regress to the mean. If we don’t progress as an offense into the top 20 and preferably top 16, Gase’s job needs to be in serious jeopardy if we aren’t somehow going 10-6 despite a meh offense.

The one thing Gase deserves credit for is Greg Williams. We bitched and moaned that Rex and Bowles never bothered to hire a real OC. Well Gase did his job hiring a legitimate (and apparently quite elite) coordinator on the opposite side of the ball, and frankly it’s almost certain that it saved Gase’s job. If he had hired Loggains equivalent on the defensive side of the ball, we would have gone 3-13.
Need a new one for a new board...

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2257 on: April 28, 2020, 11:22:06 AM »
The one thing Gase deserves credit for is Greg Williams. We bitched and moaned that Rex and Bowles never bothered to hire a real OC. Well Gase did his job hiring a legitimate (and apparently quite elite) coordinator on the opposite side of the ball, and frankly it’s almost certain that it saved Gase’s job. If he had hired Loggains equivalent on the defensive side of the ball, we would have gone 3-13.

Pretty sure that Gase was told he was getting Williams as his DC, he didn't choose him.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2258 on: April 28, 2020, 11:27:27 AM »
Pretty sure that Gase was told he was getting Williams as his DC, he didn't choose him.

It was his call.  He hired his entire staff. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2259 on: April 28, 2020, 11:50:55 AM »
It was his call.  He hired his entire staff. 

That isn't my recollection, but I can't be bothered looking it up. Gase brought Vitt in, and there was concern at the time about it because he was one of the whistleblowers in New Orleans who got Williams suspended, but I'm pretty sure that Williams was always the choice of Maccagnan and Johnson.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2260 on: April 28, 2020, 12:11:35 PM »
Williams had been targeted by Johnson and MacCagnan early in the hiring process but  Gase agreed to it.

Might not have been his idea but he was on board with the hiring.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #2261 on: April 28, 2020, 12:26:32 PM »

It also bears pointing out, that even if Gase develops Sam as a player, that does NOT preclude any other coach from bringing Sam along as well as the rest of the team. I was of the mindset we never should have hired him, and we should have fired him at the end of the year. I think Sam needs more help than what Gase’s atrocious scheme last year provided.

This is exactly how I feel.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #2262 on: April 28, 2020, 12:26:44 PM »
Williams had been targeted by Johnson and MacCagnan early in the hiring process but  Gase agreed to it.

Might not have been his idea but he was on board with the hiring.

Considering his own hire was predicated on Williams, how could he be against it if he wanted the Jets job.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

klaximilian

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #2263 on: April 28, 2020, 12:29:44 PM »

I think it carries the most weight, but by no means is the thing to be considered. Darnold taking a huge step forward in a disappointing season may provide Gase with a longer leash, but he's not out of the woods just because.

If the Jets barely make the playoffs (or nearly miss the playoffs) but Darnold sh*ts the bed, I'd think he's got a higher chance of being fired.

FWIW, any Jets fan who is rooting for Gase to fail and get fired needs a swift kick in the nuts.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #2264 on: April 28, 2020, 01:06:52 PM »
FWIW, any Jets fan who is rooting for Gase to fail and get fired needs a swift kick in the nuts.

Bollocks. I don't believe that there's any way he will be successful as a head coach, here or anywhere else, so I don't want to see him taking a long time to prove it. I'd much rather he completed his failure quickly so we can get on with actually hiring someone suited to the job, so in that sense I'm absolutely rooting for him to fail because it's by far our best chance of the team succeeding.

Tags: