Author Topic: The Curious Case of Adam Gase  (Read 316502 times)

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
Re: The Curious Case of Adam Gase - freaking Fired
« Reply #1635 on: December 10, 2019, 01:03:28 PM »
Which is an OK argument in isolation, until you consider the fact that prior to this season, which will almost certainly be his best season yet as a pro, his best statistical performances came under Joe Philbin. Or put another way, at the end of this season he will have played under three head coaches in his professional career, and his least successful spell will have been under Gase.

Put in context, the fact that his statistical performance under Gase may have been above average by the standards of other quarterbacks only serves to demonstrate that Ryan Tannehill is in fact an above average quarterback, and if anything Gase held him back.

QBR is ESPN's desperate attempt at trying to usurp passer rating, and its total garbage.

The only reason why Tannehill had more td's in a single season under Philbin is because he played all 16 games. Completion percentage, yards per attempt, yards per game, all at their highest under the person you consider to be a glorified qb coach. Tannehill's performance under Gase was certainly better than average, he just could never stay healthy. That's the coaches fault?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1636 on: December 10, 2019, 01:09:55 PM »
QBR is ESPN's desperate attempt at trying to usurp passer rating, and its total garbage.

It's actually not. I realise it's fun to excrement on ESPN, but while it's not flawless there's actually some good reasoning behind QBR. See here for more if you're interested:

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/10/11/13250486/qbr-not-a-russian-conspiracy-against-russell-wilson-but-actually-a

The only reason why Tannehill had more td's in a single season under Philbin is because he played all 16 games. Completion percentage, yards per attempt, yards per game, all at their highest under the person you consider to be a glorified qb coach. Tannehill's performance under Gase was certainly better than average, he just could never stay healthy. That's the coaches fault?

You're objectively not correct. 2014 was his best season by any meaningful statistic. It will soon be his second best season after 2019. Again, Tannehill's performance under Gase in Miami is not proof of anything other than he's a pretty decent quarterback.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1637 on: December 10, 2019, 01:13:37 PM »
The defense for Gase is hilarious.

We have an elite running back, and Gase doesn't use him and refuses to tailor his scheme to his talents should be reason enough to question his qualifications.  We should've ran the ball down Cincy's throat.  And don't tell me it's the oline...because Powell looked fine behind it on Sunday.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Rosetta Stoned

• Laveranues Coles
  • Holy freaking excrement
« Reply #1638 on: December 10, 2019, 02:00:43 PM »

What defense? There's probably only Gase supporter left on this board. Just cause others won't join in on some of your blind hate and pins every shortcoming of this team on Gase's shoulder's, doesn't mean that people are happy with him or would be defending him.

I'm beginning to understand Puck and his reactions to the the weather threads.

And don't tell me it's the oline...because Powell looked fine behind it on Sunday.

So suddenly 1 week's performance overshadows the whole season's resume. The o-line is excrement, through and through. Both in passblocking and runblocking. One Sunday of Powell vs a shitty run D, doesn't make it suddenly good.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #1639 on: December 10, 2019, 02:06:58 PM »
What defense? There's probably only Gase supporter left on this board. Just cause others won't join in on some of your blind hate and pins every shortcoming of this team on Gase's shoulder's, doesn't mean that people are happy with him or would be defending him.

I'm beginning to understand Puck and his reactions to the the weather threads.

So suddenly 1 week's performance overshadows the whole season's resume. The o-line is excrement, through and through. Both in passblocking and runblocking. One Sunday of Powell vs a shitty run D, doesn't make it suddenly good.

Blind hate?  lol ok.

Sit the freak down.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #1640 on: December 10, 2019, 02:11:59 PM »
I really can't understand how the narrative is: "When he had Peyton Manning, Ryan Tannehill, and Sam Darnold healthy, his game plans worked" rather than "One HoF, and two talented young QBs saved his derriere whenever they were healthy."

I generally don't like to wish harm on people, but I said a few times during Sunday's game to my wife: "I wish Gase would literally get hit by a bus because I think that's the only way to save this franchise."

This would be amazing.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #1641 on: December 10, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »
This would be amazing.

I don't wish death on the man. He just needs to leave before he sets this roster back any further than it already is.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1642 on: December 10, 2019, 02:14:43 PM »
Gase not wanting Bell and vindictively using Powell to prove that he didn't need him and he was paid too much is 100% a thing you would expect Gase to do.

freak him and his bullshit.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #1643 on: December 10, 2019, 02:15:35 PM »
Gase not wanting Bell and vindictively using Powell to prove that he didn't need him and he was paid too much is 100% a thing you would expect Gase to do.

dcm doesn't believe it. So you know it's true.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #1644 on: December 10, 2019, 02:19:37 PM »
It's actually not. I realise it's fun to excrement on ESPN, but while it's not flawless there's actually some good reasoning behind QBR. See here for more if you're interested:

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/10/11/13250486/qbr-not-a-russian-conspiracy-against-russell-wilson-but-actually-a

You're objectively not correct. 2014 was his best season by any meaningful statistic. It will soon be his second best season after 2019. Again, Tannehill's performance under Gase in Miami is not proof of anything other than he's a pretty decent quarterback.

Not true. Extrapolate his numbers over a 16 game season, or look at his Yards Per Attempt and tell me that he'd have less yardage had they thrown more/he remained healthy under his first year with Gase. His first year. Would've been interesting to see if growth was coming the second year before he was derailed with a torn ACL. This narrative that Tannehill was excrement under Gase or that people shouldn't be surprised he's playing well in Tennessee (against largely shitty defenses) is untrue.

We have an elite running back, and Gase doesn't use him and refuses to tailor his scheme to his talents should be reason enough to question his qualifications.  We should've ran the ball down Cincy's throat.  And don't tell me it's the oline...because Powell looked fine behind it on Sunday.

Holy excrement an actual substantive criticism. One I don't disagree with, and to his credit one that Heis warned us about way back when because of how Gase used (or mis-used) Drake.

But you ever think maybe Gase hasn't tailored his scheme to Bell because Bell's patient running style is incompatible with an offensive line that requires a more direct, north to south runner if they're going to have any success at all?

Mac bought the engine of a Ferrari for a car that operates like a Kia.

I don't wish death on the man. He just needs to leave before he sets this roster back any further than it already is.

As opposed to who you wanted (McCarthy) who the Packers CLEARLY miss.

Head coaches can be vindictive if they don't get their way personnel wise? No way. I don't believe it.

The usage of LeVeon and the inability to put forth a functional offense when Darnold went down are the two most substantive criticisms I've seen that I can buy. They're also largely coming from the same voices who told me Gase was a prick who'd lose this locker room in two seconds flat-something which has demonstratively NOT happened despite the 1-7 start.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #1645 on: December 10, 2019, 02:20:43 PM »
Tannehill's performance this year is clearly a tell tale sign that Gase was holding him back with his excrement offensive schemes

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #1646 on: December 10, 2019, 02:21:36 PM »
Not true. Extrapolate his numbers over a 16 game season, or look at his Yards Per Attempt and tell me that he'd have less yardage had they thrown more/he remained healthy under his first year with Gase. His first year. Would've been interesting to see if growth was coming the second year before he was derailed with a torn ACL. This narrative that Tannehill was excrement under Gase or that people shouldn't be surprised he's playing well in Tennessee (against largely shitty defenses) is untrue.

Holy excrement an actual substantive criticism. One I don't disagree with, and to his credit one that Heis warned us about way back when because of how Gase used (or mis-used) Drake.

But you ever think maybe Gase hasn't tailored his scheme to Bell because Bell's patient running style is incompatible with an offensive line that requires a more direct, north to south runner if they're going to have any success at all?

Mac bought the engine of a Ferrari for a car that operates like a Kia.

As opposed to who you wanted (McCarthy) who the Packers CLEARLY miss.

Head coaches can be vindictive if they don't get their way personnel wise? No way. I don't believe it.

The usage of LeVeon and the inability to put forth a functional offense when Darnold went down are the two most substantive criticisms I've seen that I can buy. They're also largely coming from the same voices who told me Gase was a prick who'd lose this locker room in two seconds flat-something which has demonstratively NOT happened despite the 1-7 start.

How does it feel to be the only person on this message board defending Gase?

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #1647 on: December 10, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »

That is an absolutely *awful* justification for the way we've used Bell... because who wants a head coach who would act like that?

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1648 on: December 10, 2019, 02:26:36 PM »
This narrative that Tannehill was excrement under Gase or that people shouldn't be surprised he's playing well in Tennessee (against largely shitty defenses) is untrue.

It would be if I said that. What I said is that Tannehill's stats demonstrate that he's a good quarterback. What's also true is that Joe Philbin got performances from him that are at least equivalent to Gase's (to save the nitpicking over whether 0.2 YPA or +0.6% Comp justify a claim that he was better under either one), and that Arthur Smith is getting better ones. Anyone think Joe Philbin would deserve a shot at being Jets HC?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1649 on: December 10, 2019, 02:27:00 PM »
What record do people think the Jets would have with a "good" coach?

Tags: