Author Topic: The Curious Case of Adam Gase  (Read 316458 times)

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
Re: The Curious Case of Adam Gase - freaking Fired
« Reply #1575 on: November 25, 2019, 12:44:35 PM »
Carolina
Pitt
JAX

Are three that come to mind.
You answered his question, but none of those QBs sinks to the depths that was...Luke Falk.  In fact the backups to those backups are probably better. And their poolboy.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1576 on: November 25, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »
Carolina
Pitt
JAX

Are three that come to mind.

Spectacular. Now address the second part, which was "How many of those teams are fielding a majority of backup players as starters?"
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #1577 on: November 25, 2019, 12:53:03 PM »
What.

We were embarrassingly inept without Sam because we were on our third string/practice squad quarterback with an offensive line completely in disarray. I gave Gase excrement after total disgust after the Dolphins game, but I'm absolutely willing to take the whole Luke Falk era and throw it in the garbage in terms of making any sort of evaluation.

In what universe did we win in spite of Gase yesterday.

We get it, you didn't like the hire and nothing will even broach the possibility of changing your position.

I want to be wrong. I would love him to bring us a title. But his body of work tells me he's not qualified and he will fail

- He lucked out to be the OC when Manning had his career year. Let's all be honest, I could be the freaking OC for Manning.
- Then he gets the Miami HC gig coming off Manning's 2014 season as some offensive guru
- After a 10-6 start, he then goes 6-10, 7-9, then fired.
- Now he comes here bc our owner is freaking moron and he's 4-7

He is on a downward trajectory as a HC, has proven nothing to me so far in his career that he will succeed.

Not comparing Rodgers to Darnold at all...but you think Matt Lafleur adds any value to that team? GB rises and falls because of Rodgers. If we have success it's all because Sam is good enough to overcome incompetent coaching.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #1578 on: November 25, 2019, 12:54:08 PM »
Spectacular. Now address the second part, which was "How many of those teams are fielding a majority of backup players as starters?"

Don't know. Don't care. He's supposed to be an "offensive guru", and he couldn't score a freaking point without Sam.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1579 on: November 25, 2019, 01:00:31 PM »
Don't know. Don't care. He's supposed to be an "offensive guru", and he couldn't score a freaking point without Sam.

I agree. And I'm still not riding the Gase bandwagon. But credit where due, this doesn't look like the same team from earlier in the season. The coaching staff deserves some credit for that.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #1580 on: November 25, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
It's kind of a moot debate. The owner has told us Gase is staying and now we're winning enough games that it's not going to change. Again, let's see Darnold have a chance to run the same offense more than one year in a row.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1581 on: November 25, 2019, 01:09:57 PM »
He called a good game yesterday against not great opponents. Still, you can only best what's in front of you, and a three game win streak is a positive sign.

I need to see much more before I will be remotely comfortable with him as head coach.

This is where i'm at.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #1582 on: November 25, 2019, 01:16:45 PM »
I want to be wrong. I would love him to bring us a title. But his body of work tells me he's not qualified and he will fail

- He lucked out to be the OC when Manning had his career year. Let's all be honest, I could be the freaking OC for Manning.
- Then he gets the Miami HC gig coming off Manning's 2014 season as some offensive guru
- After a 10-6 start, he then goes 6-10, 7-9, then fired.
- Now he comes here bc our owner is freaking moron and he's 4-7

He is on a downward trajectory as a HC, has proven nothing to me so far in his career that he will succeed.

Not comparing Rodgers to Darnold at all...but you think Matt Lafleur adds any value to that team? GB rises and falls because of Rodgers. If we have success it's all because Sam is good enough to overcome incompetent coaching.

I mean, they were 13-18-1 in the two seasons before he got there. To say he doesn't add value to that team and that it's all Rodgers considering the turnaround directly contradicts their record.

You listed Gase's record as the head coach of Miami. Which team underachieved relative to their talent? What was his record when he had his starting quarterback? A starting quarterback who apparently he wasn't wrong in wanting to stick with, given that Tannehill is currently playing with a rocket up his derriere in Tennessee.

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1583 on: November 25, 2019, 01:32:04 PM »
It's kind of a moot debate. The owner has told us Gase is staying and now we're winning enough games that it's not going to change. Again, let's see Darnold have a chance to run the same offense more than one year in a row.

Exactly

The teams a diasaster this year and all things considering (Sam missing time) we exceeded expectations.

That said I'd absolutely keep Gase on a reasonably short leash next year, unless he proves his competence

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1584 on: November 25, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »
To me, whether you like Gase or not, there is a very high bar for firing a coach after his first season, especially an offensive-minded coach who was brought here to develop a young 2nd-year QB. So he needs to be irredeemable trainwreck for us to fire him. For a while, it looked like we might get to that point, but that's why I said for months that he gets the full season to prove his worth.

Even if you think Darnold is succeeding in spite of Gase, which is impossible to prove at this point and sounds like wishful thinking from Gase haters, he's still succeeding, and if Darnold is looking good, Gase comes back. Period, barring major mitigating factors which we don't have any of.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1585 on: November 25, 2019, 02:42:03 PM »
To me, whether you like Gase or not, there is a very high bar for firing a coach after his first season, especially an offensive-minded coach who was brought here to develop a young 2nd-year QB. So he needs to be irredeemable trainwreck for us to fire him. For a while, it looked like we might get to that point, but that's why I said for months that he gets the full season to prove his worth.

Even if you think Darnold is succeeding in spite of Gase, which is impossible to prove at this point and sounds like wishful thinking from Gase haters, he's still succeeding, and if Darnold is looking good, Gase comes back. Period, barring major mitigating factors which we don't have any of.

The win against Oakland was a beauty, and Darnold is showing progress.  This is encouraging stuff.

But the real litmus test should happen next season.  Joe Douglas needs to have a solid offseason, including a successful draft.  I want to see this team competitive against NWE and other elite teams.  Then, we'll know if Gase is the guy or not. 

He's done some good things the last few weeks.  I also remember the lack of preparation earlier in the season.  Yes, i know about Falk...but the team shouldn't have been that awful, especially against a shitty Eagles team after our bye week.

Next season, with a healthy roster, a revamped oline....the excuses end, and Gase needs to produce.  There's also a good chance we lose Greg Williams to a HC opportunity, he's been incredible this year.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 02:46:48 PM by MBGreen »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1586 on: December 02, 2019, 07:14:50 PM »
“ The Bengals have allowed a league-high 633 rushing yards directed left end or right end (outside of the tackles), yielding 6.7 yards per carry on those runs (second-worst).

The Jets did not run outside a single time yesterday.”
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1587 on: December 02, 2019, 07:34:13 PM »

Typically the owner vote of confidence is the last thing an owner says to the public before firing the coach.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1588 on: December 03, 2019, 04:10:02 AM »
Typically the owner vote of confidence is the last thing an owner says to the public before firing the coach.
You're right, but I believe it this time.

That said, the last 4 games I think will make a difference. If Darnold regresses and we finish 4-12, there's a real shot he gets fired. And he would probably deserve it.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #1589 on: December 03, 2019, 10:51:07 AM »
You're right, but I believe it this time.

That said, the last 4 games I think will make a difference. If Darnold regresses and we finish 4-12, there's a real shot he gets fired. And he would probably deserve it.

I don't see Darnold regressing, regardless of the coach. He finished strong last year with a different staff and he's gotten better since he's been back this year. Young QBs are going to have some bad games, you can't overreact.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Tags: