Author Topic: Ex-Jets in the 2013 Playoffs  (Read 16425 times)

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
Re: Ex-Jets in the 2013 Playoffs
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2014, 03:56:56 PM »
Keyshawn? the Jets got 2 first rounders trading him, good riddance.

But what did that do for us in the end? We also used the #1 overall pick to get him. All we know for sure is that if we kept him we would have had him on those teams and two less picks in 2000, the rest is hypothetical.

Here is some hypothetical fun--one of those extra picks was Chad Pennington. We already had Vinny on the team, so you could make the case that without those picks we don't take Pennington in the first round and somebody else gets him. So the Jets, looking for a QB to sit behind Vinny for a year or two, maybe take Tom Brady who was hanging around the draft until the sixth round. You go back and change one thing it could alter the rest of history, but I still would have loved to have Keyshawn on those Herm teams.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »
No, but I don't think they vary to the degree where a good player for one team can't be a good player in a different offense. Especially a RB, a lot of that is the product of the rest of the offense functioning well. Look at Denver all those years they just plugged a new back in and the offense kept going the same way.

Yes, they had that zone blocking run game and had a stable of similar backs who could run in it.  That's the point.  There's a reason Woodhead has gone to, and succeeded in, systems with an emphasis on pass catching backs.  He went to a pair of teams that average over 100 receptions a year by their backs.  That's not by chance, it's by design.  We're talking about a role player here, not AP.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »
Yes, they had that zone blocking run game and had a stable of similar backs who could run in it.  That's the point.  There's a reason Woodhead has gone to, and succeeded in, systems with an emphasis on pass catching backs.  He went to a pair of teams that average over 100 receptions a year by their backs.  That's not by chance, it's by design.  We're talking about a role player here, not AP.

I agree with you there and I never tried to make the case that Woodhead is AP. But we don't throw to our backs? Schotty didn't? I remember Leon taking short passes and taking off with them, we threw it to LT when he was here. If anything I remember frustration from the fans about too much short passing. If you have good players you figure out how to use them.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2014, 12:01:40 AM »
I agree with you there and I never tried to make the case that Woodhead is AP. But we don't throw to our backs? Schotty didn't? I remember Leon taking short passes and taking off with them, we threw it to LT when he was here. If anything I remember frustration from the fans about too much short passing. If you have good players you figure out how to use them.

When Ground and Pound became the mantra, we moved away from that aspect of the game.  Remember, that's what was so surprising to people about Leon in 2009.  Prior to his injury, he wasn't being used right.  It's why it was so unsurprising that he was gone after 2009.  We went from about 90 receptions by our backs--same backs, mind you--to 36 from 2008 to 2009.  It was a change in offensive philosophy.  We didn't need a receiving back.  LT was supposed to take over that role.  McKnight ran well in a zone blocking scheme in college, so it wasn't surprising that the team opted to retain him as the 3rd COP back with that style of offense.  I was happy Woodhead had earned a place at the end of the preseason, but I said he didn't have much of a place with us.  That was true.  When he was cut, my response was that I really hoped he went somewhere besides New England.  It was the ideal landing spot.  Kevin Faulk was declining and so was their run game.  They had begun passing as a substitute, and Woodhead fit that.  Sure enough, he stepped right in.  The funny part was that his impact was diminished by the emergence of both rookie TEs.  When they then exploded in 2011, Woodhead's role decreased as New England developed that crazy new offense.  San Diego was the best possible spot for him to land this season.  I don't know if there's a QB who loves tossing to his backs more than Rivers.  Either way, we'd probably have loved Woodhead a lot more this season than any of the prior.  I stand by the claim that he didn't have a place with the old offense.  Joe McKnight failed, but he was the right choice given the offense we were trying to run.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »
Assuming your numbers are correct, I'm wondering why they changed it then. Schottenheimer was retained as OC and Rex supposedly didn't get involved in the offense, same backs as you mentioned, I don't get it. Again my issue was keeping McKnight over Woodhead, maybe McKnight goes somewhere else and also succeeds but we'll have to see.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2014, 07:22:16 PM »
If Danny Woodhead were black there would never have been a single discussion.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2014, 11:45:54 AM »

Maybe they would have kept him over McKnight.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2014, 11:49:38 AM »

We  would have 3/5ths of a discussion.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2014, 12:11:55 PM »
We  would have 3/5ths of a discussion.

LOL Winner