Author Topic: Ex-Jets in the 2013 Playoffs  (Read 16427 times)

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Re: Ex-Jets in the 2013 Playoffs
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 07:12:48 AM »
I think it was more of a reaction to people acting like cutting him was a crime against humanity. As I quoted earlier, there's a line in his Wikipedia article that states "he led the Jets to the playoffs". That means someone actually held that thought, and decided it was an appropriate thing to write down as part of a historical record. That was the kind of person that was complaining loudest about cutting Woodhead, which garnered an equal but opposite reaction.

For the record, this is coming from a person who wore this to a game:

Our backlash (I was a part of it) was primarily because people acted like the Jets released Barry Sanders in his prime, it's freaking ridiculous.

Meeting you and seeing your stature and appearance, it's no wonder you own a Chrebet and a Woodhead jersey......lol
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 07:47:10 AM »
Danny Woodhead looks like a small fat lesbian.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 08:03:25 AM »
There's one thing he has in common with Patton Oswalt.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 08:48:15 AM »
Our backlash (I was a part of it) was primarily because people acted like the Jets released Barry Sanders in his prime, it's freaking ridiculous.

Meeting you and seeing your stature and appearance, it's no wonder you own a Chrebet and a Woodhead jersey......lol

I made a thread at TGG comparing him to Chrebet when he first made our roster in 2010 and people jumped all over me, mostly the draftniks. The main gist was how great Joe McKnight was going to be, that's why trading Leon was a good idea and why we didn't need Woodhead. Still waiting for McKnight to come around.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »
I made a thread at TGG comparing him to Chrebet when he first made our roster in 2010 and people jumped all over me, mostly the draftniks. The main gist was how great Joe McKnight was going to be, that's why trading Leon was a good idea and why we didn't need Woodhead. Still waiting for McKnight to come around.

Yeah, that's the way I remember it. I remember a lot of the pro-McKnight folks said Woodhead's running style didn't fit our system. I still have no idea what that means.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:31 AM »
I made a thread at TGG comparing him to Chrebet when he first made our roster in 2010 and people jumped all over me

Probably because that's a lazy comparison?

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »
Guys I just saw what I thought was a 5'8" white guy walking down the street, he reminded me of Wayne Chrebet, I asked for his autograph. Oscar Perez, his name ring a bell?
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 09:07:44 AM »
Probably because that's a lazy comparison?

Not if you read the thread. Undrafted player from a small school, came to the Jets, made the team. I don't remember all of it but it wasn't just small white guys and looking back now he's having a decent career.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »
Not if you read the thread. Undrafted player from a small school, came to the Jets, made the team. I don't remember all of it but it wasn't just small white guys and looking back now he's having a decent career.

Why didn't you make a thread comparing Damon Harrison to Wayne Chrebet? Same criteria, except Snacks is actually very good.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 09:22:58 AM »
Why didn't you make a thread comparing Damon Harrison to Wayne Chrebet? Same criteria, except Snacks is actually very good.

Why didn't you?

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 09:42:57 AM »

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 09:43:35 AM »
Yeah, that's the way I remember it. I remember a lot of the pro-McKnight folks said Woodhead's running style didn't fit our system. I still have no idea what that means.

I said that I was fine with him going anywhere but New England because he'd be the next Kevin Faulk for them.  I liked him, but I didn't see much of a role for him on a team that couldn't manage much of a passing game with the backs, even with Leon Washington on the team.  That was his strong suit, but as soon as Sanchez came in, Leon had all of 15 catches before getting hurt and Woodhead was thrown to a whopping 8 times after.  He was misused.  I didn't care much that he was cut because the team didn't have a place for him.  McKnight had all of the promise of a runner who could run between the tackles in a zone blocking scheme, but he never put it together.  He was a better fit for what we were trying to do.  Woodhead was, like I said, a great fit for that New England scheme, and San Diego adjusted its offense in order to bring him in this season.  If this team had been willing to do that, I'd have wanted us to keep him.  We weren't.  Nobody rejoiced in his cut, and nobody got particularly upset until guys like TBJ acted like it was the worst move the Jets had ever made and started asking "What if the Jets had given up on Chrebet!?!"  It was obnoxious.  That's why it got the response it did.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »
Sometimes you just look at the player and what he has done. A lot of guys like McKnight have natural ability but never are actually that productive in real football games. Woodhead was an accomplished player, albeit on a slightly lower level, but you could see he knew how to play the game. A lot of the game is still mental, it's not all running around cones the fastest.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 10:00:52 AM »
Done

Nice.

Also in my defense, my thread was in 2010 so the Snacks comparison would have been premature. Anyone can say now they knew Woodhead would be good, I made the thread then.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 10:19:11 AM »
In terms of "the ones that got away", I don't think Woodhead is very high on the list. That's what's annoying about it, the disproportional reaction.