Author Topic: Muhammad Wilkerson named to the 2013 AP All-Pro team  (Read 6941 times)

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: Muhammad Wilkerson named to the 2013 AP All-Pro team
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 01:36:11 PM »
Some of the beat writers are saying that being listed as a DE hurt Wilk in Pro Bowl voting, whereas he legitimately got voted in on the All Pro list because he was listed as a tackle.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »
Some of the beat writers are saying that being listed as a DE hurt Wilk in Pro Bowl voting, whereas he legitimately got voted in on the All Pro list because he was listed as a tackle.

Its because most people dont really know the difference between a 3-4 DE and a 4-3 DE. They probably look at the sack numbers and see that Mario Williams has 13 sacks and Wilkerson has 10.5 sacks, so Mario Williams must be better!... smh

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »
Hopefully Wilk doesnt ask for as much on his next contract, I mean the guy isnt even a pro bowler !

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 10:09:51 PM »
I may get flamed for saying this, but does anyone besides me have some reservations about jumping on the opportunity to make Mo Wilkerson filthy rich this off-season?

Through our first 11 games, he was a legit all-pro, an absolute menace, and then he just kind of eased up.  Statistics never tell the whole story, but the guy had ten sacks in 11 games, and then a half-sack over the next five.  I don't know what happened there.  Injury, I suppose?

Another thing that's kind of bothered me has been Johnny English's fairly accurate critique of Willie Colon as a penalty machine.  Colon had 12 penalties on the season (one declined) to give him the most of any offensive lineman in the league.  Well, Mo Wilk led all 3-4 DE's this year with ten penalties (one declined).  Among all defensive linemen, only Gerald McCoy (12-1) and Michael Bennett (11-1) drew more flags.  I'd be foolish to compare Willie Colon's quality of play as a guard to Mo Wilkerson's as a defensive end, but the bottom line is that penalties in the trenches are back-breakers.

Food for thought.  Flame away. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »
^ wrist injury
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 06:46:27 AM »
Several of Wilks penalties were roughing the passer, which is usually a good sign that your DL is hitting the quarterback. Usually bullshit
He got a late hit on an int return. Not gonna complain about Wilkerson because of his run blocking. The "dirty hit" on Locker

And then just a few offside/neutral zone infractions.  Not gonna bitch about having an allpro 3-4 de because he goes offsides once every 2-3 games
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:53:02 AM by dcm1602 »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 07:16:58 AM »
I may get flamed for saying this, but does anyone besides me have some reservations about jumping on the opportunity to make Mo Wilkerson filthy rich this off-season? 

I'd rather the Jets do it than some other team.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 08:17:13 AM »
If anything his drop in production will make him a little cheaper.
"Wrong!"

Rosetta Stoned

• Laveranues Coles
  • Holy freaking excrement
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
If anything his drop in production will make him a little cheaper.

Same thing can be said about Clyde Gates.

NDMick

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 09:29:42 AM »

Through our first 11 games, he was a legit all-pro, an absolute menace, and then he just kind of eased up.  Statistics never tell the whole story, but the guy had ten sacks in 11 games, and then a half-sack over the next five.  I don't know what happened there.  Injury, I suppose?

Another thing that's kind of bothered me has been Johnny English's fairly accurate critique of Willie Colon as a penalty machine.  Colon had 12 penalties on the season (one declined) to give him the most of any offensive lineman in the league.  Well, Mo Wilk led all 3-4 DE's this year with ten penalties (one declined).  Among all defensive linemen, only Gerald McCoy (12-1) and Michael Bennett (11-1) drew more flags.  I'd be foolish to compare Willie Colon's quality of play as a guard to Mo Wilkerson's as a defensive end, but the bottom line is that penalties in the trenches are back-breakers.

Food for thought.  Flame away. 

Wrist injury seemed to make him less powerful in the last quarter of the season. And he may cause a five yard penalty, and then a 5 yard TFL after it. When a guy is as dominant as he is, it's something you deal with.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »
Several of Wilks penalties were roughing the passer, which is usually a good sign that your DL is hitting the quarterback. Usually bullshit
He got a late hit on an int return. Not gonna complain about Wilkerson because of his run blocking. The "dirty hit" on Locker

And then just a few offside/neutral zone infractions.  Not gonna bitch about having an allpro 3-4 de because he goes offsides once every 2-3 games

If I'm thinking of the same play, the late hit wasn't even actually him.  It was Landry, but they called 96.  The announcers didn't even seem to realize it after watching the penalty a few times.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
Also I want to say Mo may get a bunch of penalties but the guy literally gets held every stinking snap because he can be so unblockable. So I will definitely take his pre snap penalties and roughing the passer vs because he causes so many negative plays for the opposition that it clearly negates any ten penalties he gets and more.

I can't wait till the Jets have games called like the Pats where all their holding gets ignored and anytime they're held it is auto called.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:42:23 AM by Miamipuck »
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 11:45:59 AM »
I wouldn't hesitate to lock him down on a long-term deal but the pre-snap penalties are definitely worth discussing. They really shouldn't happen so often.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to lock him down on a long-term deal but the pre-snap penalties are definitely worth discussing. They really shouldn't happen so often.

Was Wilk a major problem pre-snap? Either way that was a huge issue on both sides of the ball. If anything it's somethig that needs to be addressed with Rex and the coordinaprs/position coaches before the players.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Tags: wilkerson