Author Topic: The Saga of Le'Veon Bell - now irrelevant  (Read 90891 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: The Saga of Le'Veon Bell
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 04:14:06 PM »
Throw a chunk of change at Demarcus Lawrence
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 04:27:28 PM »
Throw a chunk of change at Demarcus Lawrence

I don't think he'll hit the open market. The Cowboys HAVE to find a way to keep him.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »
I don't think he'll hit the open market. The Cowboys HAVE to find a way to keep him.

If they tag him for a second year he's going to cost north of $20M.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 01:33:43 PM »
And I could really give a freak about the pass rush until Darnold is protected properly.

This.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 01:36:23 PM »
Over $100M to spend. A rare true superstar hitting the open market. He grew up a Jets fan. The team doesn't have a truly great offensive weapon for Darnold.

It's the perfect storm. Frontload the hell out of it, and get him on this roster!
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 03:36:41 PM »
I don’t think Bell was really a Jets fan

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 06:43:42 PM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/leveonbell/status/56772240771002368

https://mobile.twitter.com/leveonbell/status/153619830283583489

https://twitter.com/leveonbell/status/56770881992654848

https://mobile.twitter.com/leveonbell/status/113094116044324864
Suppose that’s good evidence. When that tweet went out about not running with the Jets for less than 80 million I figured he wasn’t actually a fan. Thought it was just Michigan State University pride or something that made him like Green and White

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 09:04:47 PM »
I'm against giving running backs big contracts or investing heavy draft capital.

But if there were ever a case to do it, Le'Veon Bell is that case. The money has to go somewhere. We could use an upgrade at the position. He can catch the ball and play all three downs (which in my opinion is THE most important factor in investing a lot in an RB).

I can't believe I'm saying this, but bring me Le'Veon Bell, as long as we can get out of it in no more than three years (preferably two).

I would rather give the money to an elite OL or an elite WR or an elite CB or an elite pass rusher. But most of those other positions won't hit the market, and we can afford to spend up at multiple positions anyway.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 09:39:16 PM »
I would rather give the money to an elite OL or an elite WR or an elite CB or an elite pass rusher. But most of those other positions won't hit the market, and we can afford to spend up at multiple positions anyway.

If we can somehow find a way to get Le'Veon Bell and Demarcus Lawrence/Trey Flowers/Frank Clark, we would win the offseason.

The offensive line free agent class is horrible, but Matt Paradis has to be near the top of Maccagnan's wish list. 

(Sheldon Richardson will be available again too...)
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 03:30:34 AM »
(Sheldon Richardson will be available again too...)

Hopefully more Demario Davis and less Crowded/Revised on the retread.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 01:27:18 PM »
I'm all in on wanting Bell, but let's not pretend that it's make or break for our season or that if we make a great offer and someone comes in with a stupid one that we somehow fucked up. Because that's what certain corners of the media will do.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 01:40:05 PM »
I've never been sold on the idea of signing Bell because it relies on a couple of assumptions. One, that he's going to be (or at least close to) the same player that he was prior to taking a year off from football and that he was running behind the Steelers' offensive line and, two, that he's going to be any less of a malcontent after getting paid more than any running back is realistically worth.

To me, it's not about whether we can afford him. Obviously, we can. We can even afford to overpay him. It's about whether he's going to provide an even close to justifiable return on our investment. He might, for all I know, but I'm willing to place the odds of that happening at less than 50%.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 01:49:10 PM »
I've never been sold on the idea of signing Bell because it relies on a couple of assumptions. One, that he's going to be (or at least close to) the same player that he was prior to taking a year off from football and that he was running behind the Steelers' offensive line and, two, that he's going to be any less of a malcontent after getting paid more than any running back is realistically worth.

To me, it's not about whether we can afford him. Obviously, we can. We can even afford to overpay him. It's about whether he's going to provide an even close to justifiable return on our investment. He might, for all I know, but I'm willing to place the odds of that happening at less than 50%.

I would care if we had other players to pay besides Adams and Darnold and they’re a couple years away.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Tags: