Author Topic: 2019 MLB thread  (Read 40020 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: 2019 MLB thread
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2019, 01:54:26 PM »
As for Ortiz, I feel like defense shouldn't come into the conversation. Mariano Rivera had 4 plate appearances in his career. It seems disingenuous to knock Ortiz for his glove if you're not going to knock Rivera for his bat.

Yes, but a closer who bats a lot probably isn't going to the Hall Of Fame for his pitching!

There are going to be lots of voters with the same mentality as Seafood who think that a DH is only doing half a job, and for them no amount of slugging is going to make up for the fact that he didn't do much on the field in his career.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2019, 01:57:08 PM »
Yes, but a closer who bats a lot probably isn't going to the Hall Of Fame for his pitching!

There are going to be lots of voters with the same mentality as Seafood who think that a DH is only doing half a job, and for them no amount of slugging is going to make up for the fact that he didn't do much on the field in his career.

You're probably right--at least in that it'll be the excuse writers use to not say "I didn't vote for him because steroids"--but it seems silly to say a guy can pitch one inning a game for 20 years and get in at 100% and a guy who hit 3-5 times a night can't.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2019, 02:00:08 PM »
You're probably right--at least in that it'll be the excuse writers use to not say "I didn't vote for him because steroids"--but it seems silly to say a guy can pitch one inning a game for 20 years and get in at 100% and a guy who hit 3-5 times a night can't.

Of course, but it's no more silly than saying that making pitchers bat somehow improves the game. Some people have this warped view.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 04:08:31 PM »
Of course, but it's no more silly than saying that making pitchers bat somehow improves the game. Some people have this warped view.

Because you don't understand the game. It's ok, you have an excuse not being American and all.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 06:05:25 PM »
Because you don't understand the game. It's ok, you have an excuse not being American and all.

That's very nice of you to say. You're American and you think it's a good idea, you have absolutely no excuse.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2019, 06:20:06 PM »
So who is the next 100% guy? I was having this conversation last night, and I said Trout--if he has 10 more years of similar production.

But someone I didn't previously think of that just came to me is David Ortiz. Just like Rivera was unanimous because he was practically automatic, especially in big games, Ortiz was as well.

Derek Jeter
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2019, 06:20:43 PM »
So who is the next 100% guy? I was having this conversation last night, and I said Trout--if he has 10 more years of similar production.

But someone I didn't previously think of that just came to me is David Ortiz. Just like Rivera was unanimous because he was practically automatic, especially in big games, Ortiz was as well.

Um, Ortiz did roids.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 06:23:23 PM »

How many other pitchers did what Mo did? 

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 06:36:41 PM »
rElIeVeRs ArEnT aS VaLuAblE aS StArtERs

Postseason Career Win Probability Added (WPA)

1 Mariano Rivera - 11.7
2 Curt Schilling - 4.2
3 John Smoltz - 3.6
4 Andy Pettitte - 3.5
5 John Lester - 3.4
6 Wade Davis - 2.9
7 Orel Hershiser - 2.8
8 Madison Bumgarner - 2.7

-Baseball Reference

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 10:09:03 PM »
rElIeVeRs ArEnT aS VaLuAblE aS StArtERs

Postseason Career Win Probability Added (WPA)

1 Mariano Rivera - 11.7
2 Curt Schilling - 4.2
3 John Smoltz - 3.6
4 Andy Pettitte - 3.5
5 John Lester - 3.4
6 Wade Davis - 2.9
7 Orel Hershiser - 2.8
8 Madison Bumgarner - 2.7

-Baseball Reference

I hate the freaking guy, but what a joke that he continues to be omitted.

I'll also forever bang the drum of Jeff Kent being a hall of fame second baseman by virtue of being the most prolific offensive second baseman in the history of the game, but apparently if you were a big ole meanie to the writers that means more.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 12:18:38 PM »
I'm 100% in favor of a universal DH. I'm 100% against limiting pitching changes.

What I don't understand is why they don't just require zero warmup pitches for a reliever coming out of the bullpen unless he begins the inning. If a guy comes in after an inning has already started, he should be fully warm from his pen throws. That eliminates the issue of pitching changes taking time, while still allowing a manager to use matchups.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 01:46:01 PM »
I'm 100% in favor of a universal DH. I'm 100% against limiting pitching changes.

What I don't understand is why they don't just require zero warmup pitches for a reliever coming out of the bullpen unless he begins the inning. If a guy comes in after an inning has already started, he should be fully warm from his pen throws. That eliminates the issue of pitching changes taking time, while still allowing a manager to use matchups.

I think I agree with you completely. Why shouldn't you use your relievers tactically? It's no different to sending a pinch runner on for your fat DH in the 9th. As long as you aren't slowing the game down you should be able to pull any player from the game at any time.

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2019, 01:57:56 PM »
I think baseball should have pitching changes for every single pitch. Guys that specialize in lefty batters in a 1-2 count in the 5th inning will become invaluable

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2019, 02:32:42 PM »
I think I agree with you completely. Why shouldn't you use your relievers tactically? It's no different to sending a pinch runner on for your fat DH in the 9th. As long as you aren't slowing the game down you should be able to pull any player from the game at any time.

Exactly. You can pinch hit for a guy who might not have success against the guy on the mound, why can't you change the guy on the mound if he struggles against the guy at the plate?

If the worry is that the additional warmup pitches once he gets from the bullpen to the mound cause a slowdown, eliminate them. Sure, it takes a little while longer to get ready in the pen, but it doesn't change the game or overall strategy.

Tags: