Author Topic: 2019 Jet Defensive Rankings  (Read 10079 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: 2019 Jet Defensive Rankings
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »
In a 4-3, I’d prefer Clelin Ferrell over Josh Allen.

Ed Oliver is also intriguing.

As much as Q.Williams would be a good pick for us, i'd like to get a DE that can rush the passer. 

I'll beat this drum right up until the end of april, i really hope we can trade back.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 10:48:02 AM »
As much as Q.Williams would be a good pick for us, i'd like to get a DE that can rush the passer. 

I'll beat this drum right up until the end of april, i really hope we can trade back.

After Bosa (an elite 4-3 DE prospect), Ferrell is probably the best pure 4-3 end.

Strictly as a pass-rusher, Polite would be a great fit too, and he’s likely a better athlete than Clelin. He’s basically Cujo let loose on the qb...that’s his main function.
Ferrell is more well-rounded, and had top consistent production. Always gets the job done, rushing the passer and setting the edge. Probably my favorite target if we trade down to 7-10 area.
I still prefer Quinnen over Ferrell or Polite, though, as he looks like such a special, game-wrecking prospect.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 09:38:19 PM »
So prospect question

Chris Slayton DT Syracuse

I watch every Cuse game and I have watched this guy dominate week in and week out. He does the dirty work on the inside taking on constant double teams so that the DEs can get 1 on 1 chances and rack up the sacks. He is capable of pushing the pocket at times. He’s a 4-3 only guy in my eyes.

My question is where does he fall as a prospect in this class that’s loaded on the DL? I think he will end up as a 4th rounder, but I’m biased towards him. What do other people think? I would be plenty happy bypassing a top DT and filling another slot at the top and adding a guy like Slayton later on.

The last Cuse DT that was drafted, Jay Bromley, was a 3rd rounder by the Giants. I thought he was over drafted at the time, and I firmly believe that Slayton is much better than Bromley was.

What do people think about him?
Need a new one for a new board...

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 07:59:17 AM »
There’s 3 elite prospects in this draft:

Bosa
Quinnen
Josh Allen

We should take 1 of those 3
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 10:39:11 AM »
There’s 3 elite prospects in this draft:

Bosa
Quinnen
Josh Allen

We should take 1 of those 3

I’m not so sure Josh Allen is an elite prospect
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »

I think he’s behind Bosa/Quinnen, but in terms of EDGE prospects to come out in the last 5 or so years, I would put him at the bottom of that elite tier. Not many guys I can think of that I would put over Allen after Von Miller, Clowney, Bosa, Mack, etc.  Combine will be huge for him to cement his status.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »
Right now Nick Bosa is the only player in the draft that I would be mad that we passed on (unless it’s for a monster trade down). There are reasons/arguments to be made against Quinnen/Allen, but I don’t think there are any against Bosa.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »

Is the Citrus Bowl really that long ago?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »
I think he’s behind Bosa/Quinnen, but in terms of EDGE prospects to come out in the last 5 or so years, I would put him at the bottom of that elite tier. Not many guys I can think of that I would put over Allen after Von Miller, Clowney, Bosa, Mack, etc.  Combine will be huge for him to cement his status.

Clelin Ferrell might be a better EDGE prospect than Josh Allen. 

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2019, 08:24:32 AM »
Clelin Ferrell might be a better EDGE prospect than Josh Allen. 

I can see an argument for Ferrell as a better traditional 4-3 DE, but I think Allen has elite player type upside and I would rather have him at 3. I do think Allen is a better fit for the 3-4, and a lot of my strong opinion of him was formed while watching him while we still ran a 3-4.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2019, 08:32:30 AM »
McShay has Josh Allen going 2 to 49ers in his 2.0 mock release today. Has him listed as an OLB, but comments on his position below.

“The Niners really want an edge rusher after only DeForest Buckner cracked six sacks for them in 2018 (Buckner had 12). Allen blew up offensive linemen all season en route to 17 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss (TFL) for the Wildcats. With his big 6-foot-5, 260-pound frame, Allen could line up as a defensive end in the 49ers' 4-3 scheme if he tacks on some more weight.”

I don’t see any reason why whichever team drafts Allen can’t use him the same way that OAK used Khalil Mack in his All Pro DE/OLB season. Allen might be better at dropping into coverage.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2019, 10:18:25 AM »
I can see an argument for Ferrell as a better traditional 4-3 DE, but I think Allen has elite player type upside and I would rather have him at 3. I do think Allen is a better fit for the 3-4, and a lot of my strong opinion of him was formed while watching him while we still ran a 3-4.

This is my thinking as well.
Allen has fantastic upside and versatility, while Ferrell has a high, safe floor as a plug-an-play professional 4-3 end.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2019, 09:24:02 AM »
Random observation:

When looking at EDGE players, once you get past the first 3 rounds and the premium prospects, it looks like a lot of the best mid round guys are in the 240-260 lb range and appear likely to be best suited to 3-4 OLB roles.

For example: Maxx Crosby, Jalen Jelks, DAndre Walker, Shareef Miller, Brailford, Granderson

I have Austin Bryant and Anthony Nelson as solid 4-3 DE prospects, but they could could go in rounds 3/4 if there’s a big run on EDGE guys. Conversely we might be able to score a guy like Joe Jackson/Zach Allen/Omenihu in round 3 if they get pushed down due to the depth of the class.

TLDR- Can any of the guys I mentioned “for example” play DE in our scheme? Help me out with some 4-3 defensive end prospects that can be had in rounds 3-5.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:10:21 AM by SixFeetDeep »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2019, 09:50:29 AM »
Omenihu is a serious sleeper to rise up into the first two rounds.

Tags: