Author Topic: 2019 Jet Defensive Rankings  (Read 10080 times)

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
Re: 2019 Jet Defensive Rankings
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 04:13:51 PM »
I really want Hakeem Butler on this team. I just don't see any way that happens unless we trade down in the 1st to recoup a 2nd.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:38:26 PM by Andrew Ryan »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 11:52:17 PM »
I've watched a lot of OT and OLB cut-ups tonight.  I want Josh Allen on this team over every player in this draft besides Nick Bosa. 

Difference maker.  He creates havoc.  He can defend the run, drop into coverage, and generate a ton of pressure off the edge. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 11:53:29 PM »
I love Jachai Polite as a pass rushing prospect, but Josh Allen has more production and way better measurables. 

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 06:25:20 PM »
I love Jachai Polite as a pass rushing prospect, but Josh Allen has more production and way better measurables. 
Watched a little bit of Polite today. Looks like a freakish athlete, but there have been several times where he's failed to hold up on the edge. Allen is a much safer every-down OLB. He drops back in coverage and holds his own. Polite seems to be more of a one-trick pony in that if he's not pinning his ears back and going after the QB, he's not nearly as good. He's great at pass rushing, but Allen is better at everything else.

Really curious how the NFL combine goes for these guys. Edge rusher is a spot where I think the combine matters more than most positions.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 10:17:23 PM »
My dude Sutton Smith declared

Mid-round gold

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »
I've watched a lot of OT and OLB cut-ups tonight.  I want Josh Allen on this team over every player in this draft besides Nick Bosa. 

Difference maker.  He creates havoc.  He can defend the run, drop into coverage, and generate a ton of pressure off the edge.

I've also been on board with this for a few weeks (admittedly way too early, and will likely change a dozen times).

For the Jets, and assuming we have a top 5 pick, Bosa right now is my #1 target on his own tier.
 He's followed in a little tier consisting of JAllen and best OT who perhaps rises to level of top-5-pick during draft process/combine (Jonah or GLittle).
That's followed by a tier consisting of best available edge rusher (Polite, maybe Ferrell) and Greedy Williams.

Gun to my head, and I have to bet right now on who we get....Josh Allen or OT. Any DC will drool over Allen's versatility and skillset.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 12:10:00 PM »
Honest question, say the Jets sign Jadeveon Clowney in free agency pre-draft. Then Bosa and/or Allen are on the board whenever the Jets pick in the draft. Do you guys still take one of them, trade down, or go with a player on the offensive side of the ball?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 12:11:21 PM »
Honest question, say the Jets sign Jadeveon Clowney in free agency pre-draft. Then Bosa and/or Allen are on the board whenever the Jets pick in the draft. Do you guys still take one of them, trade down, or go with a player on the offensive side of the ball?

I think trade down should be the option no matter what happens in FA.....we don't have a 2019 2nd rd pick
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 12:23:54 PM »

There is next to zero chance that Clowney doesn't sign a long term deal or get tagged by Houston.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 12:43:39 PM »
There is next to zero chance that Clowney doesn't sign a long term deal or get tagged by Houston.

I should have been a little more clear. I only mentioned Clowney because he's fresh in my mind from this past week.

There are a number of pass-rushing threats that will become available when free agency starts, assuming the Jets get one of them--Clowney or otherwise--what should the Jets do?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 12:47:58 PM »
I should have been a little more clear. I only mentioned Clowney because he's fresh in my mind from this past week.

There are a number of pass-rushing threats that will become available when free agency starts, assuming the Jets get one of them--Clowney or otherwise--what should the Jets do?

Trade down depends upon what's on offer. I still don't think I'd want us to pass up a blue chip defensive player to overreach for a tackle though.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »

You can never have enough pass rushers in today's NFL, but trading down is going to always be my top pick as long as we get adequate compensation for it since we're missing that 2nd rounder. We have too many holes to not want as many chances to fill them as possible.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 10:17:24 PM »
Starting to put way more focus into watching 4-3 defenders now that Gregg Williams is our DC.

Texas DE Charles Omenihu is outstanding.  He has elite size and pass rushing traits.  I think we could see him sneak into the backend of the first round if he has a solid combine. 

Florida LB Vosean Joseph would be a good fit here.  New Mexico State S/LB Terrill Hanks is another Cover 2 type backer that I really like.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:21:34 PM by Heismanberg »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 08:27:23 AM »
Starting to put way more focus into watching 4-3 defenders now that Gregg Williams is our DC.

Texas DE Charles Omenihu is outstanding.  He has elite size and pass rushing traits.  I think we could see him sneak into the backend of the first round if he has a solid combine. 

Florida LB Vosean Joseph would be a good fit here.  New Mexico State S/LB Terrill Hanks is another Cover 2 type backer that I really like.

Does Josh Allen fit into a 4-3 scheme?   There's a chance Q.Williams and Bosa could be taken ahead of our pick.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »
Does Josh Allen fit into a 4-3 scheme?   There's a chance Q.Williams and Bosa could be taken ahead of our pick.

In a 4-3, I’d prefer Clelin Ferrell over Josh Allen.

Ed Oliver is also intriguing.

Tags: