Author Topic: 2019 NFL Draft  (Read 87288 times)

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
Re: 2019 NFL Draft
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2019, 02:55:25 PM »
I'm 100% on board if we can get an elite LT prospect at 3, for sure.
This offseason, though, i'd argue the first steps to helping/protecting/building around Darnold, before reaching for a maybe franchise LT is:

1) Improve the center position by signing Paradis or Mitch Morse.
2) Signing/drafting offensive weapons, whether that means LBell, Tyrell Williams, Humphries, Tevin Coleman, whatever. Deep WR draft class so we need to draft AT LEAST one.

Our offensive line wasn't the biggest hindrance to Darnold imo...it was poor coaching and lack of weapons and offensive depth (and also having a 21-yr-old noob at QB). There will be solid o-linemen in the 3rd/4th as well.

Like I alluded to before, I could conceive that a Taylor or Little could blow away the combine as athletic, pass-protecting monsters, and be worthy of a top 3-5 pick. But if we're picking at 3 and it's an offensive lineman, it HAS to be a franchise D'Brick-type left tackle. Someone who is a clear, obvious, instant upgrade over Beachum.

I agree on practically everything you wrote. The only place I diverge a bit is that I'm willing to risk a pick that doesn't pan out into an elite tackle. This is a team that risked a first-rounder on a defensive lineman when they already had two in the same position. I'm okay with using as many picks as it takes to get the OL to an elite level.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2019, 05:26:11 PM »
Jawaan Taylor at 3

That’s officially who I want

I can get behind that.  I think Jonah Williams can make it as a left tackle but Taylor's ceiling is miles higher. 

Looking forward to his Combine. 

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2019, 06:09:02 PM »
You guys know this team, whoever we think we have no chance at getting becomes our pick. Welcome to the Jets Mr. Bosa

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »
I can get behind that.  I think Jonah Williams can make it as a left tackle but Taylor's ceiling is miles higher.

Clelin Ferrell gave Williams fits with counter moves.  He can't handle speed to power combinations very well.  He just isn't long enough or athletic enough to be consistent there against premiere edge talents.

He can be a hell of an interior lineman though.  A lot of scouts are listing him as a center now, which is interesting.  Pulling from the inside is something he could be very good at.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2019, 07:28:08 PM »
Clelin Ferrell gave Williams fits with counter moves.  He can't handle speed to power combinations very well.  He just isn't long enough or athletic enough to be consistent there against premiere edge talents.

He can be a hell of an interior lineman though.  A lot of scouts are listing him as a center now, which is interesting.  Pulling from the inside is something he could be very good at.

I always feel like center is in many ways the most important and most difficult position on the line to fill; they're doing a lot more than the other linemen, they're working much more closely with the QB, and they have to handle a lot more at the point of attack because they're transitioning from the snap to the block. I know you're not suggesting we draft him, but I'd be leery for whoever does of trying to convert a college player who has never snapped the ball into a starting center, especially a player taken as high as Williams likely will be. If I'm drafting a center I want him to have proven he knows how to play the position.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2019, 07:48:16 PM »
You guys know this team, whoever we think we have no chance at getting becomes our pick. Welcome to the Jets Mr. Bosa

There's no way I could justify passing on:

1) The best player in the draft, at

2) Our position of greatest need, at

3) The second most impactful position in football. 

I want to build an offensive line in the worst way, but you don't pass up that opportunity. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2019, 08:22:35 PM »
I always feel like center is in many ways the most important and most difficult position on the line to fill; they're doing a lot more than the other linemen, they're working much more closely with the QB, and they have to handle a lot more at the point of attack because they're transitioning from the snap to the block. I know you're not suggesting we draft him, but I'd be leery for whoever does of trying to convert a college player who has never snapped the ball into a starting center, especially a player taken as high as Williams likely will be. If I'm drafting a center I want him to have proven he knows how to play the position.

You would be a fan of Elgton Jenkins...a player that will be available much later than someone like Jonah Williams. 

Dalton Risner is a hell of player but he'll be 24 years old before the season starts and I'd hate to see us draft an "old" prospect with a high pick. 

MoreCharacters

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2019, 06:39:38 AM »
What's Taylor's floor?

An underwhelming solid slightly above average LT who lets you not have to think about the position for 5 years isn't a disaster if that's the likely worst case scenario, but they can't take a bust risk at 3.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »
who I want at 3:
bosa
allen (partial to him as he is a local to the area)

who I want to target if we trade back, either at our 1st round pick or later:
gary (also a local)
polite
ferrell
taylor
metcalf
butler

what are the odds one of those WRs makes it to the 2nd round?

Sir

• Laveranues Coles
« Reply #249 on: February 02, 2019, 11:37:52 AM »
I'm kind of working under the assumption that we're going to trade down having listened to the GM talk about recouping picks.

An extremely likely target IMO given Gase and the 'new' NFL? Hollywood Brown

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #250 on: February 02, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »
I'm kind of working under the assumption that we're going to trade down having listened to the GM talk about recouping picks.

An extremely likely target IMO given Gase and the 'new' NFL? Hollywood Brown

Mecole Hardman and Tony Pollard are two other all-purpose prospects that Adam Gase probably has his eye on. 

Deebo Samuel, Hollywood Brown, AJ Brown, and Riley Ridley are all those second tier type prospects at wideout that have a lot of value as YAC players.

Gase lost Jakeem Grant and Albert Wilson and his offense fizzled out.  He wants YAC players.  Enunwa is a really good YAC receiver, but that's really the only one we have in the receiving corps. 

Hollywood Brown would be a really fun player to have on this team. 

---

Adam Gase was not fond of DeVante Parker.  A lot of that most likely had to do with work ethic and attitude, but he rarely featured possession wideouts in that offense.  He relied heavily on slots and Kenny Stills.

I think Robby Anderson can fill that Stills role and then some. 

Quincy Enunwa will need some help over the middle to fill that slot role that Gase loves .  Deontay Burnett will hopefully continue to get chances here. 

I really think he wants smaller, faster wideouts because he tries to win with screens and clearouts.  It's a great offense for a player like Enunwa that can thrive on drags. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:05:39 PM by Heismanberg »

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2019, 01:16:22 PM »
I know a lot of you guys are down on us drafting a defensive lineman if we stay at #3, but Quinnen Williams is a bad man.  Unblockable. 

People saying he might be the best player in the draft class are not wrong.  Nick Bosa has some real competition. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS6lyCvVDa8

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #252 on: February 02, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
Need the combine ASAP
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #253 on: February 02, 2019, 03:22:59 PM »
I know a lot of you guys are down on us drafting a defensive lineman if we stay at #3, but Quinnen Williams is a bad man.  Unblockable. 

People saying he might be the best player in the draft class are not wrong.  Nick Bosa has some real competition. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS6lyCvVDa8

we are in such a great spot at 3, we'll have some amazing players looking us in the face. i honestly have no preference with what we do, staying put or trading out. whatever we do, we just NEED to hit on our picks

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #254 on: February 02, 2019, 04:02:20 PM »
we are in such a great spot at 3, we'll have some amazing players looking us in the face. i honestly have no preference with what we do, staying put or trading out. whatever we do, we just NEED to hit on our picks
unfortunately, that’s been the case (and the problem) for years now
Need a new one for a new board...

Tags: