Author Topic: 2019 NFL Draft  (Read 87169 times)

Koz

• Chad Pennington
Re: 2019 NFL Draft
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2019, 12:08:59 PM »
Likelihood that we go DT as BPA with the #3? It would be so like us to do so.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #226 on: January 28, 2019, 12:27:38 PM »
Likelihood that we go DT as BPA with the #3? It would be so like us to do so.

If Nick Bosa is gone, then Quinnen Williams should certainly be considered.

It’s the best defensive class in a decade (at least) and Williams is up there...

Taking a DT now that we’re a 4-3 team makes a lot more sense.

Unless DK Metcalf and Jawaan Taylor rise, we’re going to take a front seven player.  That’s where the value is if we don’t move out of #3.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #227 on: January 28, 2019, 01:15:36 PM »
If Nick Bosa is gone, then Quinnen Williams should certainly be considered.

It’s the best defensive class in a decade (at least) and Williams is up there...

Taking a DT now that we’re a 4-3 team makes a lot more sense.

Unless DK Metcalf and Jawaan Taylor rise, we’re going to take a front seven player.  That’s where the value is if we don’t move out of #3.

Realistically, don't Leo and Williams play the same position in a 4-3?

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #228 on: January 28, 2019, 01:24:20 PM »
I'm fine with Quinnen Williams...but our top priority should be to trade back.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #229 on: January 28, 2019, 01:40:33 PM »

I think the most optimal position for each (definitely Quinnen) is 3 technique in a 4-3.

But Quinnen does have experience playing nose/1 tech at Alabama, afaik, and Leonard has played end (but not his 100% ideal position).
It would be up to Crazy Gregg to utilize each to the best of their strengths. An interior of Leonard and Quinnen would be fearsome.
I'd hate to pass on an elite talent like Quinnen to take an inferior prospect, just like I'd have been upset if we had passed on Leonard when he fell to us in 2015, despite already having Wilk and Sheldon. We need to snatch up top talent when available.

As it stands now (and still early pre-combine), Nick Bosa and maybe Josh Allen are the only players I'd consider over Quinnen.

I'm fine with Quinnen Williams...but our top priority should be to trade back.

Yes! Again, we need players and talent.  I'm cool with "settling" for a Clelin Ferrell or Jonah Williams if it nets us a package including 2nd and 3rd rounder.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 01:43:31 PM by Gorilla »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #230 on: January 28, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »
Yes! Again, we need players and talent.  I'm cool with "settling" for a Clelin Ferrell or Jonah Williams if it nets us a package including 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Aye. A couple of really good players at key positions are probably more useful to us right now than a single elite one, but let's wait and see what FA does for us.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #231 on: January 28, 2019, 02:25:01 PM »

They are both good enough and versatile enough to play every position in a four man front.

The way Wade Phillips uses Donald and Suh is similar to how they could be used.  Put a ton a pressure on guards and centers.  Let your outside guys get favorable matchups with offensive tackles.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #232 on: January 28, 2019, 08:33:15 PM »
Drew Lock doesn’t deserve a hype train thread but the top 10 rumors and story about Elway being smitten with him have me feeling gud
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2019, 09:12:58 AM »
Jawaan Taylor at 3

That’s officially who I want

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2019, 09:19:36 AM »
Jawaan Taylor at 3

what if he's sloppyfatz
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2019, 10:47:36 AM »
Jawaan Taylor at 3

If we stay at 3, I want one of the 3 best players in the draft, so I officially want Bosa (please baby jesus lamb of god), Quinnen, or Josh Allen.

Players always slide down or rocket up draft boards at the combine. I could see a JTaylor, Greg Little, Montez Sweat, Metcalf, especially Ed Oliver (who was assumed to be a top 2 pick before the season) to make a leap up if they beast the combine.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #236 on: January 30, 2019, 11:02:19 AM »
If we stay at 3, I want one of the 3 best players in the draft, so I officially want Bosa (please baby jesus lamb of god), Quinnen, or Josh Allen.

Players always slide down or rocket up draft boards at the combine. I could see a JTaylor, Greg Little, Montez Sweat, Metcalf, especially Ed Oliver (who was assumed to be a top 2 pick before the season) to make a leap up if they beast the combine.

I’m not so sure Josh Allen is a Top 3 prospect.

Definitely a top ten type right now, but Ferrell and Sweat aren’t much different.  The gap just isn’t big enough between them as prospects.  Ferrell might even be better.

Jawaan Taylor has elite size and his movement on film is elite at times.  He dominated Josh Allen when Florida played Kentucky.

As of right now, Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, and Jawaan Taylor are the top three prospects in this class.  That’s obviosuly just my opinion and will likely change after the combine, but Taylor is a potentially elite tackle and that boosts his value.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #237 on: January 30, 2019, 11:13:03 AM »
I’m not so sure Josh Allen is a Top 3 prospect.

Definitely a top ten type right now, but Ferrell and Sweat aren’t much different.  The gap just isn’t big enough between them as prospects.  Ferrell might even be better.

Jawaan Taylor has elite size and his movement on film is elite at times.  He dominated Josh Allen when Florida played Kentucky.

As of right now, Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams, and Jawaan Taylor are the top three prospects in this class.  That’s obviosuly just my opinion and will likely change after the combine, but Taylor is a potentially elite tackle and that boosts his value.

As of now I could be convinced that ferrell and/or Ed Oliver are in/close to that top 3. I'm a big Ferrell fan for this team.
Like you said, the combine always throws 50 monkeywrenches into draft stocks. At this point last year, Darnold was a lock #1, Rosen was a lock top 3, and suggesting Mayfield as the top pick would get you laughed at.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #238 on: January 30, 2019, 01:46:09 PM »
If Maccagnan drafts an offensive tackle in the first round, even if it's believed to be a reach, it will completely change how I view him.

I don't care if the next Lawrence Taylor is available, "protect Darnold at all costs" should be this team's first, last, and only priority.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #239 on: January 30, 2019, 02:38:42 PM »
If Maccagnan drafts an offensive tackle in the first round, even if it's believed to be a reach, it will completely change how I view him.

I don't care if the next Lawrence Taylor is available, "protect Darnold at all costs" should be this team's first, last, and only priority.

I'm 100% on board if we can get an elite LT prospect at 3, for sure.
This offseason, though, i'd argue the first steps to helping/protecting/building around Darnold, before reaching for a maybe franchise LT is:

1) Improve the center position by signing Paradis or Mitch Morse.
2) Signing/drafting offensive weapons, whether that means LBell, Tyrell Williams, Humphries, Tevin Coleman, whatever. Deep WR draft class so we need to draft AT LEAST one.

Our offensive line wasn't the biggest hindrance to Darnold imo...it was poor coaching and lack of weapons and offensive depth (and also having a 21-yr-old noob at QB). There will be solid o-linemen in the 3rd/4th as well.

Like I alluded to before, I could conceive that a Taylor or Little could blow away the combine as athletic, pass-protecting monsters, and be worthy of a top 3-5 pick. But if we're picking at 3 and it's an offensive lineman, it HAS to be a franchise D'Brick-type left tackle. Someone who is a clear, obvious, instant upgrade over Beachum.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:41:50 PM by Gorilla »

Tags: