Author Topic: 2019 NFL Draft  (Read 87246 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: 2019 NFL Draft
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 10:35:35 AM »
I know you can’t lock into taking positions, and Duff has shown that he’s a BPA type of guy, but it feels like EDGE in Rd 1 and best available OL in Rd 3 makes sense.

Greg Little could be an elite tackle prospect.  I really like David Edwards out of Wisconsin.

Jonah Williams is not a sexy pick but he’s a damn good tackle.  Just not sure if he’s more of a RT.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 10:37:26 AM »
I’ve long seen Ed Oliver touted as one of the top players in this year’s class. Where would he play for us? Would this be a similar situation as a few years ago, taking Leonard Williams when we already had Richardson and Wilkerson?

I think we’d have to transition to a 4-3 if Oliver was the guy.

Shepherd would then become the rotational third DT behind Leo and Oliver.  We don’t have any real defensive ends for it though.  Maybe Jenkins could convert.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 10:39:40 AM »
We have to win in free agency.

Maccagnan has to use that money to repair the pass rush or the offensive line.

If we’re bad enough, landing someone like Bosa, Polite, or Ferrell in the first AFTER signing someone like Demarcus Lawrence would be the best possible scenario.

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 10:40:35 AM »
I think we’d have to transition to a 4-3 if Oliver was the guy.

Shepherd would then become the rotational third DT behind Leo and Oliver.  We don’t have any real defensive ends for it though.  Maybe Jenkins could convert.

Moving to 4-3 could be interesting. Probably works better for Leo and Lee than the current scheme... and with those guys being the two most promising front 7 players on the team, might not be the worst idea.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 11:54:03 AM »
We have to win in free agency.

Maccagnan has to use that money to repair the pass rush or the offensive line.

If we’re bad enough, landing someone like Bosa, Polite, or Ferrell in the first AFTER signing someone like Demarcus Lawrence would be the best possible scenario.

There's definitely a lot more in the way of high end options for the pass rush in FA; I know I'm a stuck record on this, but I see absolutely nothing on the OL that could make a noticeable impact. There are a couple of older players who might be decent 1-2 year stopgaps if they've got enough left in the tank but that's a risky strategy with a tackle.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 11:55:35 AM »

Another scenario is moving down from the top 5 into the teens and taking one of the Tackles, and acquiring additional picks.

It's a potential scenario but it's not a strategy, because trading down is way harder than trading up. Trading up is simply a matter of being willing to offer enough to get the deal done, trading down is dependent upon another team liking a player enough at the pick you're offering and not believing that they will fall far enough.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Jumbo

• Shaun Ellis
  • Loggase forever
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 11:56:57 AM »
There's definitely a lot more in the way of high end options for the pass rush in FA; I know I'm a stuck record on this, but I see absolutely nothing on the OL that could make a noticeable impact. There are a couple of older players who might be decent 1-2 year stopgaps if they've got enough left in the tank but that's a risky strategy with a tackle.

There should be some decent options available, but we definitely shouldn't wholly rely on free agency, any good OL is gonna be very highly paid

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 12:11:59 PM »
It's a potential scenario but it's not a strategy, because trading down is way harder than trading up. Trading up is simply a matter of being willing to offer enough to get the deal done, trading down is dependent upon another team liking a player enough at the pick you're offering and not believing that they will fall far enough.

Trading down is always more difficult.  Having a franchise QB already on your roster makes it a little easier (ie The Colts trading with us), because QB needy teams are always looking to move up.  That's why i'm hoping the #HerbertHypeTrain2019 builds up some steam.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 12:15:45 PM by MBGreen »
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Pope

• Shaun Ellis
  • I am the Pope and this is my church
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 02:43:41 PM »
Were in a good position to draft a pass rusher this year. Would hope we can improve the OL in free agency

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 03:33:22 PM »

Stanford WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Ole Miss WR DK Metcalf would be awesome weapons for Darnold.

Glad you mentioned Metcalf....what are your thoughts on him vs. teammate AJ Brown (who seems like the way-too-early consensus top wr in 2019 class)?

Metcalf has the superior measurables, and to my eyes (correct me if you disagree) Brown's upside is a better, faster Enunwa in that he's a well-built YAC machine. By the time of the 2019 Combine, I could see Metcalf and/or N'Keal Harry surpassing AJ Brown.

Also, thoughts on Marquise Brown? Again, to my eyes just judging on 2017 to now, he looks somewhere between Tavon austin and Brandin Cooks....I'm not entirely decided on who he's closer to yet.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 05:27:34 PM »
Were in a good position to draft a pass rusher this year. Would hope we can improve the OL in free agency

I tend to agree...elite passrusher or elite WR.
I'd really prefer elite LT, but there doesn't seem to be one at this early point, although I do like Jonah Williams. My #1 player for Jets this second is Bosa, which will likely require a top 3 or 4 pick...you can do it Bowles!!%!

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 11:17:22 PM »
Glad you mentioned Metcalf....what are your thoughts on him vs. teammate AJ Brown (who seems like the way-too-early consensus top wr in 2019 class)?

I'm not as high on AJ Brown as most seem to be.  He's a solid player, but he doesn't play outside much at all and Ole Miss really does a great job of scheming him open.  He isn't a good route runner and he isn't overly fast, but he's nasty once he gets the ball. 

I worry about him being able to separate from NFL defensive backs.  The Quincy Enunwa comparison you made is a great one.  He's a very strong YAC skill player like Enunwa has become. 

Metcalf has the superior measurables, and to my eyes (correct me if you disagree) Brown's upside is a better, faster Enunwa in that he's a well-built YAC machine. By the time of the 2019 Combine, I could see Metcalf and/or N'Keal Harry surpassing AJ Brown.

Harry is a hell of a possession receiver, but Washington CB Byron Murphy bullied him.  Murphy is like 170 pounds and he pushed him around and locked him down.  He's another guy that I worry about when it comes to separation.

Metcalf just wins on the outside.  He's big, strong, and has elite deep speed.   

Also, thoughts on Marquise Brown? Again, to my eyes just judging on 2017 to now, he looks somewhere between Tavon austin and Brandin Cooks....I'm not entirely decided on who he's closer to yet.

Hollywood Brown is a baller.  He's very similar to Dede Westbrook, but better in the open field.

I think someone will get a steal in the middle rounds.

The Jets need some smaller, shiftier receivers.  He'd be nice to have as another option in the slot. 

---

We need a true #1 wideout, but this probably isn't the draft for that.  I don't see an elite AJ Green/Julio Jones type prospect in this class, but there's a lot of possession talent.  Maybe DK Metcalf will emerge as that kind of true elite receiver prospect, but not yet.  Greedy Williams ate his lunch last week. 

JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Kelvin Harmon, and N'Keal Harry would be good for Sam Darnold.  These are guys that can win contested throws. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:20:03 PM by Heismanberg »

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 03:59:31 PM »
"Ohio State junior DE Nick Bosa (abdomen) will not return to the Buckeyes this season and will instead begin training for the 2019 NFL draft once he's cleared to do so."

buckeyextra.com via rotoworld.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »
Not an observation that I feel great making but this upcoming draft is absolutely stacked at interior DL.
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Tags: