Author Topic: Dee Milliner named AFC Defensive Player of the Week, NFL Def Rookie of the Month  (Read 5244 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/12/jets_dee_milliner_named_afc_defensive_player_of_the_week.html

Dee Milliner capped his first season in the NFL with the best performance of his career. The cornerback intercepted a couple of passes Sunday against the Miami Dolphins and broke up five passes.

After the season-ending victory, Rex Ryan praised Milliner. The Jets coach said the game validated his statement earlier in the year that by season's end Milliner would be the NFL's best first-year cornerback.

Though Ryan's assertion is a matter of opinion, for one week at least, Milliner is the best defensive player in the AFC. The NFL recognized Milliner Tuesday with its Defensive Player of the Week award for his performance against the Dolphins.

Start of the Deesus Christ era.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:02:54 AM by Badger »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: Dee Milliner named AFC Defensive Player of the Week
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:17:38 AM »
kid earned it.

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
  • Head Bent over, Raised Up Posterior
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »
3 picks in 2 games. not too shabby.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 10:19:27 AM »
3 picks in 2 games. not too shabby.

And 10 PDs.

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »
he finished tied for 10th in the league in PDs...of course that's a very incomplete and untelling stat in itself

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 10:37:13 AM »
Something I didn't know until I saw it on the postgame: Milliner was the 6th most targeted player in the NFL this year. That's a lot of exposure. It's impressive that he learned from every experience to end his season on such a high note.

Also, while he's not SRich, he doesn't suffer from an overly humble ego. I like the kid.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 11:00:41 AM »
he finished tied for 10th in the league in PDs...of course that's a very incomplete and untelling stat in itself

And almost all of those came in the end of the season, I think. He closed out the season with some crazy statistical games.

Still needs to play the ball a little better while it's still in the air, but I like his tendency to make catches really difficult with well timed hand use.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »
Stepped up a lot. That first round is shaping up to be amazing.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »
I hardly think it's a coincidence that he had his best games once Reed showed up.  If we get a really good FS at some point, not even a Reed in his prime, when he has safety help over the top he will be a legit ball hawk.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »

Ornstein

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 04:53:37 PM »
Congrats to the king of the underbite

Fenwyr

• Shaun Ellis
  • He's the greatest
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »

I would do the black and white clapping gif, but too lazy right now.  Bravo!

JFIF

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 08:16:38 PM »
I hardly think it's a coincidence that he had his best games once Reed showed up.  If we get a really good FS at some point, not even a Reed in his prime, when he has safety help over the top he will be a legit ball hawk.

Hard to say. It could very well be a coincidence. Cornerback is largely about confidence.....the mental grind for a rookie/young CB is something they've never had to deal with at the college level because they were usually the best player in that secondary and weren't targeted or tested the way they are in the NFL.  It can easily break them and is something you can't really prepare for, and it was obviously effecting him early on

Maybe reed helped with that or maybe he didn't, but you could see he was playing with a lot of confidence at the end.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 09:28:02 PM »
CB is a tough position to position to learn and play in the NFL.  Milliner had a stellar season all things considered
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »
Milliner's problem all season has been his inability to read the ball in the air. He's been there with the receiver but gotten lost once the ball is in the air. I think he's getting better at reading the receivers' reactions and playing the ball that way.

He's still got work to do, but that's to be expected: he's a rookie. The future looks bright. With Cromartie in paycut-or-cut mode, drafting a cornerback looks great right about now. If we didn't have him, cornerback would be a disaster area heading into next season.